I'm an idiot, screwed things up with the mods. Help?

tm2dragon

Let's start off with the END of this story. My character now is stuck standing straight up, arms slightly out to the side. Oh, she still moves around.......but just sorta glides across the ground in that same damn pose with none of her limbs moving!

Now, for how I GOT her into this sorry state. I use quite a few mods (the mod manager is a GODSEND!), but decided to give the UNP skinset a try. Been using the CBBE since I started playing, but wanted to see if things looked better with the other one. So I switched the CBBE mods off, and added the UNP ones. The neck seems and face looked HORID, and I couldn't get it all to line up. So I reversed my steps and went back to using the CBBE.......but now THOSE seems weren't working, and the body had this real ugly texture while the face looked smooth and unblemished. So yeah, failed to line things up, figured I'd start from scratch, went into the Skyrim files *Steam>steamapps>common>Skyrim), and DELETED everything under "data", figuring that would uninstall my mods.........yeah, I'm an idiot. So then Skyrim wouldn't start up AT ALL, and I figured I had removed a file it required.......so I went into my recycle bin, and REINSTALLED everything in it.......including some old files I'd probably removed for a REASON. And now.......yeah, here we are, with a magical gliding heroine. SO! How do I fix this whole mess WITHOUT losing my game progress and having to start over from scratch? ^_^; Is it even POSSIBLE? Again, I'm an idiot, PLEASE HELP!!! T_T

I suggest uninstalling all animation mods and skin mods for now. Load up the game to see if that fixes it. If it does, begin to reinstall the mods. If it doesn't, keep uninstalling all the mods you think might cause the problem. Oh btw, by deleting everything in the data folder, you basically deleted the entire game lmfao xD.

You might have to uninstall every single mod in order to fix this problem. The good thing is that NMM makes it easy to start over from scratch. Good luck lol. I suggest to not delete the Data folder from now on xD.

Kinda tried that already. My guess is that there's some extra stuff in the data folder that I need to remove.....stuff from BEFORE I got the Mod manager. Any ideas? Not quite sure what's okay to delete in there. ^_^;

I am not sure if this will work, but go into steam and right click on skyrim. Go to properties, local files, and view integrity of game cache.

Hopes this helps, it has helped me before.

Nope, didn't work, but I MIGHT have an idea! After uninstalling all the mods, I went back into Skyrim folder, and saw something interesting......all the remaining mod files (from the pre mod manager days) APPEAR to be something called a "ESP" file. The "BSA" files are MUCH larger, and I wonder if those are the OFFICIAL Skyrim files. If this is true, then would clearing out all the BSA files effectivly remove the remaining mods, thus restoring Skyrim to it's default settings WITHOUT screwing over my progress? If so, then after I clean out the junk, I could reload my mods with the mod manager. Is that doable, or am I grasping at straws here?

If you want to revert back to the default Data files here is a list of the ones for an unmodded game.

Skyrim - Animations.bsa

Skyrim - Interface.bsa

Skyrim - Meshes.bsa

Skyrim - Misc.bsa

Skyrim - Shaders.bsa

Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

Skyrim - Textures.bsa

Skyrim - Voices.bsa

Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

Skyrim.esm

Update.bsa

Update.esm

Make sure you keep the Interface, Strings, and Video folders also.

Hope this helps.

installing mods can be a risky thing. Often, more then not, existing files are overwritten. What that means, is when you do a remove, the overwritten files stay or they are deleted (causing the original use of them to become corrupted). So, jsut uninstalling a mod does not mean that the mod wont still affect your game. Also know, there are many poorly written mods or mods the occupy the same space. There are environmental mods, cell mods, mech mods, etc etc. most of these will cause some for of terminal game closure.

Going through each of your mods and the version number, it will be extremely painful and time consuming. Honestly, I would say to do a complete re-install. make data folder saves at regular intervals as you put on mods in the future. It is always best to oly load 1 mod at a time and then test it out. trouble shooting multiple variables is a nightmare.

2a+b(dx+u/3(d4*1/2t)^3 + ƒ(dV(dy/4dy+(dy-dz) = ?

where as x= 1 is so much easier to trouble shoot. ;)

installing mods can be a risky thing. Often, more then not, existing files are overwritten. What that means, is when you do a remove, the overwritten files stay or they are deleted (causing the original use of them to become corrupted). So, jsut uninstalling a mod does not mean that the mod wont still affect your game. Also know, there are many poorly written mods or mods the occupy the same space. There are environmental mods, cell mods, mech mods, etc etc. most of these will cause some for of terminal game closure.

Going through each of your mods and the version number, it will be extremely painful and time consuming. Honestly, I would say to do a complete re-install. make data folder saves at regular intervals as you put on mods in the future. It is always best to oly load 1 mod at a time and then test it out. trouble shooting multiple variables is a nightmare.

2a+b(dx+u/3(d4*1/2t)^3 + ƒ(dV(dy/4dy+(dy-dz) = ?

where as x= 1 is so much easier to trouble shoot. ;)

Good advice. One question: the previous person said my saved game is in documents\my games\skyrim\save games. If I were to copy that file, back it up somewhere, and THEN do the complete re install, followed by re-inserting said file.......would that leave my saved data intact?