Why some stuff was left out of skyrim?

Deleted1308005User

So, In oblivion we had mini-game (sort of) For speech, it was mostly useless, but once you learned how to use it, you really could affect people with it.

Oblivion had spell altars, so you could make your own spells (Well, this is hard as *** to make with skyrim, as skyrim has different types of spells)

Lacking of spell types. Burden, Open Lock, Feather, Bound armor, Summons, Touch spells, Drain skill, Reduce armor, Weakness to damage type, dispel, Cure disease.

CURSED ITEMS. Pickpocket a ring into the inventory of your enemy, and kill him without being noticed.

These all were in oblivion/morrowind, but all of them were removed in skyrim, Why?

Fame, why there is no such a thing in skyrim? Or infamy.

Even though you can get bounty, you can pay it, spend time in jail, and nobody will ever know you were infamous murderer week ago.

Even though you save skyrim from dragons, people should be able to tell if they should avoid you, or give you honor.

REALLY Hidden artifacts.

Oblivion had many different artifacts hidden around, morrowind had even more. In skyrim there is just couple, which can always be found on dead person, who dies in the progress of quest line.

( So you don't even need to kill him to get the precious artifact)

Breakable armor/weapons (Okay, this is the only one I don't want )

Haggling, This was really good thing in oblivion, allowed player to get better prices.

In skyrim you just need to equip hat to make prices better.

REAL Lycantrophy/Wild werewolves

You can see corpses at silver hand outposts, where did they get those corpses? There is no wild werewolves.

You won't even turn into werewolf when its full moon.

I think that bethesda left out some of these things because they would have made game much harder, and the game wouldn't be so liked by the new-generation kids who enjoy easier games (In skyrim, you can't "ruin" your character by making bad decisions, putting on wrong attributes/stats, getting infamous.)

Or maybe they were just too hasty on the release?

Maybe these things are going to be fixed in later patches?

Tell me what you miss from earlier games!

Maybe to make Skyrim not Oblivion? What's the point of having 2 games that are exactly the same?:huh:

I know this is not what you're saying but... Adding (good) features would make this more like Oblivion? Guess that makes Oblivion the better game.

On a serious note, I do agree some features would really help this game that were present in previous elder scroll games, especially the fame/infamy thing. This game just doesn't give you the proper respect.

Guard @ Harbinger of The Companions: "So you do what, fetch the mead?" Kid @ slayer of Alduin who's equipped in steel plate armor and wielding a massive warhammer: "I thought adventurers were supposed to look tough." And so on...

I say the storyline, the improved combat, and the different scenery (among many other things) separate this game from its predecessors enough.

No need to leave out the features that worked.

I vastly agree on the fame/infamy. Oblivion was better, if only moderately so, in this regard.

Skyrim annoys the hell out of me, Why the hell does everyone think you're weak looking, worthless, and barely capable of surviving a mudcrab when you've killed Alduin and countless dragons, your a complete master of Destruction, Swordplay, Stealth, Lightarmor, Speechcraft, and so on? You approach them in a full set of deadric armor (Without a helmet of course, because helmets are for cannon fodder), and with the glowing Dawnbreaker in one hand and some epic fireball in the other. Do they give a rats ass? No. "Who let this weakling in here!" Like your some first level character who has barely learned to walk properly.

Edited by Cipherthe3vil

A couple other things that I miss....

-two rings

-separate armor pieces (leg and shoulder slots)

I guess they didn't want to make it too easy to overpower a character with enchanting or whatever but I miss the armor slots more than anything else (well those and the spells they dropped).

My own opinion is Skyrim was simplified to allow it to work better on consoles. Then they just ported the console game to PC. Even the default control was a console controller so it would function with the console style UI. :rolleyes:

Luckily PC players do get mods to add in some of the things that were intentionally removed to make it simpler for the console players. :biggrin:

My own opinion is Skyrim was simplified to allow it to work better on consoles. Then they just ported the console game to PC. Even the default control was a console controller so it would function with the console style UI. :rolleyes:

This was going to be my response. Well, that and 11/11/11. Consoles were more prominent in the minds of Bethesda's execs, because console sales generate far more revenue than PC sales. The result, of course, is that they developed the game for X-Box, realized that they were running out of time before their attention-grabbing deadline, and rushed the port to PC.

That being said, I'm sure that some of the features Shadowjin mentions in the initial post - such as item durability and spellmaking - were intentionally left out to make the game less complex and thus more appealing to a wider audience (because idiots are a very important market segment, you know :wallbash: ).

Like when I go to join the stormcloaks, and Galmar Stone-fist gives me a trial and tells me he only gives it to ones he's not sure about. I'm like dude, I'm Dragonborn. You let all these measly guards in but you send me for a trial? lol

A couple other things that I miss....

-two rings

-separate armor pieces (leg and shoulder slots)

I guess they didn't want to make it too easy to overpower a character with enchanting or whatever but I miss the armor slots more than anything else (well those and the spells they dropped).

That all? I still miss the ability to simultaneously equip the following:-

Boots(pair), Greaves, Cuirass, Left Pauldron, Right Pauldron, Left Gauntlet/Bracer, Right Gauntlet/Bracer, Helmet, Shield, Weapon, 2 Rings, 1 Amulet, Trousers(pants), Skirt, Shirt, Robe. All enchanted.

Not to mention

Third style of enchantment Cast on Use (in addition to Cast on Strike & Constant Effect present in TES3, 4 & 5)

Flight (or more specifically levitation, anyone else remember the "Travel Stained Pants").

Teleportation, i.e. Mark, Recall, Almsivi Intervention, Divine Intervention.

Guilds that had proper level progression and required certain skills at certain levels.

And a proper journal so we could actually turn off quest markers and still play the game.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant, as I actually DO enjoy playing Skyrim, it just could have been so much better.

Edited by flobalob

That all? I still miss the ability to simultaneously equip the following:-

Boots(pair), Greaves, Cuirass, Left Pauldron, Right Pauldron, Left Gauntlet/Bracer, Right Gauntlet/Bracer, Helmet, Shield, Weapon, 2 Rings, 1 Amulet, Trousers(pants), Skirt, Shirt, Robe. All enchanted.

Not to mention

Third style of enchantment Cast on Use (in addition to Cast on Strike & Constant Effect present in TES3, 4 & 5)

Flight (or more specifically levitation, anyone else remember the "Travel Stained Pants").

Teleportation, i.e. Mark, Recall, Almsivi Intervention, Divine Intervention.

Guilds that had proper level progression and required certain skills at certain levels.

And a proper journal so we could actually turn off quest markers and still play the game.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant, as I actually DO enjoy playing Skyrim, it just could have been so much better.

The reduced number of different armor parts were to allow more npcs to be prosessed within an area. I was upset about this at first but now don't miss it at all.

Not having a form of flight is required for certain parts of the story to make sense

why climb the 7000 steps when you can fly straight up? and more importantly the need for Odhaviing and Dragon Rend

I agree with the journal and guild-progression parts.