Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

Only problem with EU users having to go to GameFront is that we'll struggle getting mods downloaded after we've waited for ages for the site to load. I'm sitting with a 100/100MB internet and have an easier time to download a 70GB game than downloading a mod from GF... Screw us I suppose.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67131856.

AzazelGremory wrote: Only problem with EU users having to go to GameFront is that we'll struggle getting mods downloaded after we've waited for ages for the site to load. I'm sitting with a 100/100MB internet and have an easier time to download a 70GB game than downloading a mod from GF... Screw us I suppose.

Let's do it like this, I'll start trying to get one mod right now and I'll make another reply when I've finally gotten it downloaded.

Dark0ne, I applaud your decision to help GameFront maintain some semblance of uniformity and "brand".

It may seem absurd to some, but this issue is about GameFront being able to enforce control over content created specifically to be hosted on their site. It affects many things, but the greatest factor is trust. Having mods reposted to other sites can lead to those reposted mods, or the server connection itself, being a possible infection vector for any kind of malware by less scrupulous individuals.

Dark0ne, if Nexus has the storage capacity, a mutually beneficial arrangement could be reached.

Have the affected mods link in their descriptions to the GameFront mod page, as well as a link to their home landing page.

If Nexus has the storage capacity available, allow GameFront to keep an archive of their files here, with the files unavailable.

In this way, if GameFront experiences service issues as they did in 2016, Nexus will be poised to keep the files safe and accessible.

Also, it might prove beneficial in the future if Nexus and GameFront entered into some form of "Mutual Exclusivity" arrangement, backed up by some actual legal authorization. As you said, pertaining to the "who is involved", you weren't surprised. If they are doing this to GameFront, they will do it to Nexus if they aren't doing so already.

Having an arrangement like this, where GameFront has the primary mod link and Nexus "has their back" with backups would mean that mod authors on GameFront could be resonably assured that their mods will always be accessible.

In response to post #67131856. #67131911 is also a reply to the same post.

AzazelGremory wrote: Only problem with EU users having to go to GameFront is that we'll struggle getting mods downloaded after we've waited for ages for the site to load. I'm sitting with a 100/100MB internet and have an easier time to download a 70GB game than downloading a mod from GF... Screw us I suppose.
AzazelGremory wrote: Let's do it like this, I'll start trying to get one mod right now and I'll make another reply when I've finally gotten it downloaded.

Hi, we're based in the UK and I'm in Manchester, we don't see throughput problems? Just to confirm you're on .com and not the other (illegal mirror) GF site? If your're having issues still though you can open a support ticket and we'll investigate (and I will do so now)

In response to post #67131856. #67131911, #67140016 are all replies on the same post.

AzazelGremory wrote: Let's do it like this, I'll start trying to get one mod right now and I'll make another reply when I've finally gotten it downloaded.
FileTrekker wrote: Hi, we're based in the UK and I'm in Manchester, we don't see throughput problems? Just to confirm you're on .com and not the other (illegal mirror) GF site? If your're having issues still though you can open a support ticket and we'll investigate (and I will do so now)

OP hasn't responded press F

In response to post #67112626. #67115681, #67124886, #67127016 are all replies on the same post.

DarthCruciare wrote: Well done. You must have Canadian blood in you, because this is the most polite 'go f*#@ yourself for f*#@ing us over' that I've ever read. GameFront looks to be a website that officially killed the golden goose. They had a good thing going, but then got greedy, and now, they get nothing.
FileTrekker wrote: There's no bad blood at all between us and Nexus, I have a lot of time and respect for Robin and he's been super supportive. All I would say to that though is to not confuse the corporate entities who owned and mismanaged GameFront with the volunteers who have tried to keep it going and are now running it, trust me I'd be the first in line to agree with you with regards to Ziff Davis Media or Defy Media. I call them out by name now because they're gone and bust for the reasons you stated so I doubt they'll come after me for breaking my NDA. But they aren't around anymore. All that's left is the good bits (we like to think) and we're not financially motivated.
DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Just read up on this:
https://adage.com/article/digital/defy-media-programmatic-business-exit-publishers-unpaid/313754/

Holy schtako...what a flipping cow of a mess! =O
I hope each and every executive at Ziff Davis Media and Defy Media get raked through the coals for the trash they've inflicted upon so many people not being paid for work they did :(
LunarDarkness wrote: That's just f*#@in' swell, guys. Thanks to you it's now twice as much of a chore to browse Black and White 1/2 mods, because everything on your site has no screenshots to show off the mods. Gonna be real fun to find the race changing mods I decided not to download two days ago.

You know these mods aren't yours, right? Just because you hosted them once doesn't make them yours. It's up to individual modders whether they want their content hosts on another site and if they have a problem with it, they could have contacted NexusMods themselves.

I'd say "I don't mean to be pissy" but I honestly really do. Your little pissing contests has done the community no f*#@ing good. Thanks for nothing.

@LunarDarkness... I just checked the Black&White filepages, and I see a bunch of the mods that have screenshots for them... not sure what's got your panties in a twist...

In response to post #67131856. #67131911, #67140016, #67141911 are all replies on the same post.

FileTrekker wrote: Hi, we're based in the UK and I'm in Manchester, we don't see throughput problems? Just to confirm you're on .com and not the other (illegal mirror) GF site? If your're having issues still though you can open a support ticket and we'll investigate (and I will do so now)
CarnaeAssada wrote: OP hasn't responded press F

Gave up around 15 minutes ago.. The download either won't start or will just endlessly loop as if it's trying to start the download or I just get an error 404 or 503

In response to post #67131856. #67131911, #67140016, #67141911, #67146631, #67156701 are all replies on the same post.

AzazelGremory wrote: Gave up around 15 minutes ago.. The download either won't start or will just endlessly loop as if it's trying to start the download or I just get an error 404 or 503
FileTrekker wrote: Hi, you're definately on the wrong GameFront unfortunately. It's gamefront.com not gamefront.online. Hope this helps. The other is an illegal mirror.

GameFront.com works fine for me (in Greece) and download speed is faster than Nexusmods. Edited by axonis

In response to post #67131856. #67131911, #67140016, #67141911, #67146631, #67152961 are all replies on the same post.

AzazelGremory wrote: Gave up around 15 minutes ago.. The download either won't start or will just endlessly loop as if it's trying to start the download or I just get an error 404 or 503
axonis wrote: GameFront works fine for me (in Greece) and download speed is faster than Nexusmods.

Hi, you're definately on the wrong GameFront unfortunately. It's gamefront.com not gamefront.online. Hope this helps. The other is an illegal mirror.