Hello world.

GlytchMeister

There are two vents on laptops. One on the edge. The other on the bottom. Hair, dust, and grime usually get stuck somewhere in the middle. The techs They are not the guys who tests computers to see if they are ready for the trash. Turn off the laptop 1st. Take the battery out. Remove the screws on the bottom. It's the rule that if it's not broke don't try to fix it. If it's old they probably won't suggest any repairs. Services for it may be updating the chipset. Give your laptop a good looking over. If you don't find any clumps of hair and grime, at least you'll throw it away confident it doesn't have anything left to give you hours of modding and entertainment fun.

It's been so long since I did any of the computer hardware stuff I left off one fact that can cause a computer to lose functionality. The Fan's blades get too dirty to spin fast, to carry enough cool air. A minor amount of filth on them causes them to become unbalanced. Clean blades are better because they are not only better able to pull more volume of air, but they are balanced better.

Balance improves their spin speed.

The vid card may *work* for minimalist purposes, but, when trying to access some of the 'higher' functions, it will choke, and die. If you can't convince the driver to install, even on a fresh install of windows..... something is seriously wrong.

Have you started your laptop in Safe mode?

When it first messed up, it was so bad I couldn’t even get it into safe mode. I couldn’t see what I was doing at all. Either that or it was a BSOD Conga line. Windows was just completely borked. After two computer shops who got it kiiiinda working and several months of tinkering, I eventually said “screw it” and gutted the bastard. Wiped windows off of it entirely and installed Linux Mint.

And yes, HeyYou, GIJoe. :)

Getting the upgrades for your chip in your Motherboard will improve it's functions for more modern codes. Since the age of the computer may mean it's functions would only be upgraded for 1 to 5 years after it's creation, still, you could add helpful codes from its creation by upgrading the chip. It will improve the chips ability to recognize new code that is better for your MoBo after the date of manufacture, when you got it. It could help you in determining your computers problem or fix it.

Find the model make and year of your computers build. Search the old archives on the Internet for your computer's chipset upgradea and patches for other functions of your Motherboard. If you find old upgrades, be sure to only use the ones matching your computer and dates more compatible with it's past.

On one computer I upgraded I also found a number of upgrades for the other Motherboard functions which gave it newer codes. It now has USB 3.0 code, better fan speed control, etc..

Your words suggest to me you might be inclined to have done it already. I thought you might; so I only suggested it briefly before. Techs with my experience don't usually exist these days. I admire you for being so intent on keeping your laptop alive and saving money when you have no need to spend more.

I... didn’t even know motherboards needed upgrades. Are you talking about driver updates? Or are you getting into stuff like BIOS or something? Because my success rate with driver updates is, like, 50%... and I think I might have broken BIOS the one time I tried to update it.

And that was on Windows, which is the OS I grew up on. Now I’m on Linux... and I’m stumbling over every little step.

As I said, I really only know enough about computers to find new and interesting ways to break them. Every time I fix a computer, step-by-step instructions are involved and it’s usually not that severe of an issue.

I’m not even sure what you mean by “chipset.”