Character becomes invisible

stoune

Having the same issue, and it only happened once I turned ELFX from normal mode to hardcore mode. So its either ELFX itself or the patch for it that Immersive Citizens demands and adds to it.

In case that may help anyone that finds this later on though.

I've simply removed Immersive Citizens and that seems to have fixed the issue. It is the likely culprit given how many mods require patches for it for no obvious reasons.

Guess I'll find out down the line if this fixed anything or not though.

(will try to get back to this forum in case it didn't work, so if you hear nothing, chances are it's IC's fault uh)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just encountered this in EmberShard Mines, on a fresh, relatively light installation. By what I read here, it's the exact same issue with no apparent cause. So far I've only seen it once and I have not been able to reproduce it. I was wondering if anyone managed to find out what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1. This began for my mage character about half-way through Labyrinthian today after installing Blood Splatter Fix. I've since uninstalled it but the issue has persisted, though it's temporarily alleviated by casting spells that modify my character's 3rd person appearance (like ebonyflesh or bearskin). I've made no other modifications to my load order, FNIS installation or ENB.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

For me the issue seem to have begun when I updated to the latest USSEP 4.2.5b. I read a few posts here and there, but I couldn't exactly pinpoint the cause of the issue. It was driving me nuts.

Symptoms

Character disappeared sporadically when:

• changing cell, especially into a cave
  • in a cave, when light sources where changing
  • my character's body was however floating somewhere around, either in the air or stuck in the walls/floors/ground and sometimes floated back to the correct position like a rag-doll with hell of a collision noise
  • camera point being zoomed outside of the playable area during alternate conversation
  • character floating a few inches over the ground

In other words, a complete loss of reference for the character's body.

Workaround

Similar as for many of you, saving and reloading fixed the issue temporarily.

Analysis

I was getting crazy, because I have almost 300 mods and figuring it out without breaking my actual play-through was quite a challenge.

So, I finally narrowed it down to a few suspect mods which impact the reference of how you see the world and your character:

1. Alternate Conversation Camera
  2. Improved Camera
  3. Disable Follower Collision
  4. Dint999 or YunDao HDT Hair Packs

And here one might say: "Aha! Here we are!". But unfortunately, disabling those didn't help at all.

Today I kept digging on the body side and suspected maybe High Poly head to have something to do with it, but I was wrong again.

Eventually, after going through some more posts, I stumbled upon a comment mentioning a broken body mesh. This led me through my whole mod list again and I isolated "better Female wrists hands ankles and leg ratio twists for XPMSSE" which was overwriting "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended"'s body. And THIS should NEVER happen or you are guaranteed to have trouble at some point!

Well, after disabling "better Female wrists hands ankles and leg ratio twists for XPMSSE", I could re-enable all my camera and HDT hair mods et voilà! Problem solved!

Conclusion

Check thoroughly if no mod has overwritten your XPMSSE body, otherwise it may happen to you too! I hope this helps pinpointing your issue!

Cheers

UPDATE: The issue with the body floating around has been solved, however the issue of the body briefly disappearing in front certain light sources is still present.

Further analysis

I disabled:

1. ENB
  2. All lights mods
  3. Disabled all 2K-4K-HD mods
  4. Disabled High Poly mods
  5. Removed all clothing
  6. Changed back to Vanilla hair

Issue still present. So... Back to the roots of troubleshooting, I went through all the mods! And look what I found!

Skyrim SE - Project Optimization - ESM VERSION: "This is a mod aimed at improving performance in almost all INTERIORS of Skyrim while staying clean as a mod by using the built-in engine feature: Occlusion Culling Planes."

Disabled it, BAM! Problem solved! YESSS!!! :dance:

• Thanks 1

I had the same problem once when my character was visible when riding a horse and oftenly became invisible especially in 3rd person when not riding and te screen oftenly turning pitch black with some informations still visible . The problem came from a too big pagefile.sys file.

• 1 year later...