Changing textures in a .ba2 file?

MarkusTay

So I wanted to modify a texture in a mod, and files are packed in a .ba2, and I extracted and modified the files okay (I assume), using lots and LOTS of tutorials online, but when I simply drop the modified file into the Data folder nothing happens.

I thought that 'loose files' would always overwrite packed files, but I guess that's not how it works at all. So what I guess I need to do is repack the ENTIRE .bs2 archive - along with all the stuff I DIDN'T change - into a new archive (with the old name, so the mod can find it). Is this correct?

And is there a fairly simple way to do this? If you can point me to any good tutorials that covers this area I'd really appreciate it (TONS of tutorials cover how to unpack and create your own textures, but most of them just gloss-over how to get them BACK INTO THE GAME).

Thank you for helping me.

I am putting them in what I 'believe' to be the right path. However, the original files were packed in a ba2 (in a texture sub-folfer), and AFAIK, I am using the same path structure within the texture folder (its just not packed in the .ba2 like the original file was).

I am going to try it on something simpler, since several mods are affecting those files (its a vanilla clothing file, which gets modified by CBBE, and then by at least one other clothing mod). I've actually found several copies of the dds file in different spots (which I assume is the different mods putting their own version in their own sub-folders). Its hard to figure-out which of those is getting 'final overwrite', as it were.

That way, if I can modify something else (like a box of abraxo), and it works, I will known my methodology was sound, but I haven't got the pathing correct.

Thanks again.

CBBE uses the vanilla UV maps for all outfits created with Bodyslide, so it doesn't modify any "outfit" textures. The only texture it will change is the default "skin" texture. So no need to touch that one.

However going through your load order and checking (one by one) each file will eventually lead you to the culprit.

And yes, the file paths need to match exactly the file path listed in the .bgsf Material File, otherwise the game will fall back on the 'last' file it read that had the correct path.

Okay, so I gave up on trying to modify the outfit I wanted to modify (something, somewhere is forcing it to stay the way it is - probably one of the uber-quest mods I have), so I decided to try it out on an article of clothing I never use, and I know there is only one of - the underwear that comes with AWKCR (AFAIK, no mod messes with those). I figure, even if I mess it up, I don't really ever use them anyway. In this way, I can at least test my skills before moving onto something that matters. I was going through all the texture files, and that one seemed like the perfect candidate (I chose the white ones - the lamest of the bunch). I'm very happy with the result... so much so, i think I may start using them as my new (female) minutemen uniform. LOL

59281306-1551969789.jpg