Internet Trolling...should it be a criminal offence

mizdarby

Now since certain posters have a short attention span, I'll go ahead and remind everyone what my argument is:

Offering someone financial reward for the killing of a third person is, even when in jest, ill advised. But that does not make it automatically illegal in every situation.

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS. :tongue:

Edited by Syco21

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to point out these case rulings on deadly force self defence defences and assault.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19/marissa-alexander-gets-20_n_1530035.html

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2009/06/former-cop-gets-life-in-firefighter-murder-case-the-limits-of-self-defense.html

(there are dozens of these types of rulings as it happens, I like these 2 as they illustrate cases where in one I thought appropriate force was used, and the other inappropriate force was used to handle the situation. )

Can I ask for precedent where someone had successfully used a self defence defence in court, when the person that was killed only verbally threatened the defendant and the deceased wasn't committing a felony or was armed.

The Marissa Alexander case has a lot of little caveats to look at. It's also a fairly hot topic with many feeling that the courts ruled incorrectly. I've forgotten all the details on the case, I think my final stance was "not enough information." I'd also like to mention that Angela Corey is viewed as a hostile prosecutor and that again many, myself included this time, feel that she should be relieved of her duties and disbarred for her handling of the Zimmerman case.

Actually, I believe that, the judge's statement that she could retreat, may be in violation of Florida's SYG law. I could be wrong though. Texas law specifically states that the court can not take into consideration whether the actor could have retreated or not. Not really sure how that case would have played out here in light of that wording.

As for the second case, not enough information. It states the attacker was shot in the back. So was he leaving when shot? If so, the law most likely wouldn't permit the use of force or deadly force. Again, in Texas it explicitly states that if the attacker attempts to deescalate the fight, then use of force is no longer justified.

As for your request for a case where self defense was cited as justification in the use of deadly force against a verbal threat, I could not find one. But I don't really feel as though I need one anyway. The law is pretty clear, if you have a reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily injury, you are justified in most stand your ground states to use deadly force. Since assault includes in the definition, a reasonable fear of imminent harm, then it's not really hard to see how this can be so.

But absent a weapon, there are other factors as well. For example disparity of overwhelming size, sex, overwhelming strength, age, force of numbers, fighting ability, aggressiveness.

Tangent rant.

I'm not really a huge fan of some of those factors. All it takes to kill or seriously injure someone is a well placed or (un)lucky hit. You should never be required to enter a fist fight with an aggressor simply because you are bigger and stronger than them. I have first hand experience of how someone that is smaller and weaker than you are can overpower you due to all the adrenaline pumping through their veins. Yeah, they had aggressiveness over me. But a lot of people harp on size and strength over everything else. That really grinds my gears. Now there are certainly incidents where it's a good judge of whether or not the force was justified. For example, a Houston police officer recently killed a one armed, one legged man in a wheelchair after the man waved a metal pen at the officer's partner. The double amputee was shot in the head. Why couldn't the officer just dump the man out of the wheelchair?

In case you're wondering what this officer that had to kill a double amputee because he was sooo scared for his life looks like...

http://i.imgur.com/r9edm.jpg

People who play video games and go on forums are weak!

K

Thinking you should not show remorse for people who kill themselves due to bad parenting as well as them giving away their information = wanting weak people to die

Edited by marharth

K

Thinking you should not show remorse for people who kill themselves due to bad parenting as well as them giving away their information = wanting weak people to die

Bullying over a prolonged period can cause serious psychological problems, that said there are ways to lessen the problem, don't live your life on Facebook and use the tools the likes of Facebook and Twitter provide to block fools and remove their "contributions".

K

Bullying over a prolonged period can cause serious psychological problems, that said there are ways to lessen the problem, don't live your life on Facebook and use the tools the likes of Facebook and Twitter provide to block fools and remove their "contributions".

That is my point. Online bullying isn't something that should be a problem and when it is a problem is is the fault of parents.

Don't post a bunch of crap online and if you do post stuff block people who annoy you.

K

Yep, and this also means that the site staff who've set up rules ought to apply them. There's currently a problem on certain large networking sites where racist harassment and other serious things aren't taken care of in the least, so we've got a problem with people not honouring agreements, which is a contractual duty and nothing to do with the criminal law--unless there's mandatory reporting for site owners/admins in certain cases, that is, and then getting in trouble for failure to report is enough.

K

That is my point. Online bullying isn't something that should be a problem and when it is a problem is is the fault of parents.

Don't post a bunch of crap online and if you do post stuff block people who annoy you.

People who play video games and go on forums, are no weaker ot stronger than people who don't.

In the case of memorial/tribute profiles on facebook, (and I know because I requested one for my mum when she died) Facebook will set up a memorial/tribute profile which can not be accessed by anybody at all, and only allows for the posting of messages on the wall of the deceased. Which has the obvious drawback, that should a troller decide to post unpleasent stuff, on that particular memorial/tribute profile, nobody at all(other than Facebook admin) can remove it, there is NO blocking options. And should Mr Y decide to troll my own Facebook, I certainly can block him, but then all he has to do is set up another account Mr Y#2, and continue the personal attacks. Blocking is not always possible.

Edited by mizdarby

K

People who play video games and go on forums, are no weaker ot stronger than people who don't.

In the case of memorial/tribute profiles on facebook, (and I know because I requested one for my mum when she died) Facebook will set up a memorial/tribute profile which can not be accessed by anybody at all, and only allows for the posting of messages on the wall of the deceased. Which has the obvious drawback, that should a troller decide to post unpleasent stuff, on that particular memorial/tribute profile, nobody at all(other than Facebook admin) can remove it, there is NO blocking options. And should Mr Y decide to troll my own Facebook, I certainly can block him, but then all he has to do is set up another account Mr Y#2, and continue the personal attacks. Blocking is not always possible.

Yes, that itself is a big problem. If the site admins aren't upholding their part of the agreement (to remove content that has been reported) then they're in breach of duty.

I can go with you there up to a point marharth, but it isn't always as simple as that. As BlackBaron2 and mizdarby have pointed out. Adults can also be cyber bullied, as I was. I blocked the offender on Skype which was where the incident took place and since they had been rash enough to put the convo in SMS rather than voice form, I had a record of it...which I then put in a blog. Funnily enough that stopped them in their tracks. I was however advised by the police not to get a Facebook account, just in case. So yes, that does prove the wisdom of not posting a bunch of crap online.

Never ceases to amaze me how inert the admins of places like Facebook are in regards to trolling and abuse.