Expensive solution that solved all my mod problems

SeanBlader

https://shadow.tech/

So if you're thinking about a PC upgrade and aren't personally ready to commit to an RTX card, I have to highly recommend trying out Shadow. A fresh install of Fallout 4 and a typical set of mods (100 for me) and Fallout 4 is far more stable than my desktop.

Originally I wanted to try out Shadow to see if the power difference between streaming my game from a remote high powered PC was vaguely cost effective on based on electricity usage from a home based high powered gaming PC. My electric bill didn't seem to have any difference, which is discouraging considering I'm partially retired and was gaming about 60+ hours per week on an 800+ watt PC vs a 60 watt laptop. I feel like there's some other issue, maybe with power billing.

Anyway, a great side effect turned out to be the amazing stability I got on Fallout 4 with a fresh dedicated machine, my remote Shadow. I can handily run FullHD on my 50/5Mb connection with Shadow set to use 25Mb transfer rate. The responsiveness is frankly amazing considering the functionality, and that's running on my fanless i7y 2 in 1 ultrabook, which is not a gaming machine by any stretch! Literally my phone runs games faster.

Currently there's one major disadvantage, and it's drive space. You're only given 256gb for your system at this time. That means with a 100gb Fallout 4 install, and 15gb of Vortex data I don't have a lot of room for other titles. Fortunately with a connection speed of 1000/100Mbps it's relatively quick to download a different game to play.

But for $35/month, it's way cheaper than the investment to build a comparable PC and keep it up to speed... and reports are that optional additional drivespace will become available after the relatively new company finishes supporting the rest of the US. As I understand it some EU users already have an additional tb of drive space available.