Important Question for Modders And Knowledgeable Users

ramakgaming

I can't for the life of me figure out on my own what this means, so I thought I'd ask in here and HOPE someone will respond with something sensible that may help.

The last few times I posted about a problem, I usually get 1 response only, and it usually seems as if the user/modder that responded has no knowledge of what I'm talking about.

I am looking to get responses by those that are knowledgeable about it.

The problem is, the game studders on and off every time I play it, quite often. So far I can't find any mods that will assist me with this problem that actually work, absolutely none. In all the time I've been playing Skyrim since it's release, no mods have ever come out that can help me except for SkyBoost, and since the author has abandoned that project, there is nothing for me to use anymore, and it makes Skyrim almost impossible to play without being pissed off at it, everyday.

The only quickfix I could find was something I found on Google which tells us to open SkyrimPrefs.ini and change the value "iTexMipMapSkip=0" to "1", however the problem with doing that is that it causes the graphics to become ugly as hell, and I do not want to play it like that. Now, I know that my computer is more than capable of running the game, it even automatically chooses High as my graphics settings when I have no .ini files and the game puts them in.

I am trying to understand what is going on here with this, and why that fixes the studdering, but also makes the game ugly, and can't seem to find another solution that does what that does, without making the game so ugly.

Also, I am wanting to understand what all of the values in the .ini that starts with iTexMipMap (like iTexMipMapMinimum)do and if there some kind of compromise I can make, having a balance between looks and almost no-studdering so it'll atleast be less frustrating.

I normally get no where with these posts, because no body usually responds that knows anything about this stuff...

I HOPE SOMEBODY DOES... I don't know what else to do. Also, please be respectful, don't flame me - I don't come here to be treated like monster... I am a human being.

Kia Ora

Not sure if this will get deleted like it did on steams site

I found I freed up my game quite a bit by disabling the steam client in services seems some of the scanning tools

running i the background are a bit of a load.

Maybe try it and turn it back on if that's not it

Ok. Im not that knowledge on the ini files and stuff but if it was me i would

- downloads fraps and records fps drop when this happens so you can quote numbers to the lads on here

- do a driver re install.

- benchmark rig to see its performing properly on something like heaven or 3d mark 11

- delete ini files and get steam to re download the default ones.

- run at lower graphics settings to see if fps increases

Also if you can, post specs of yoir rig

I had no idea you could do that. Could you tell me how to do that please? All I could find was making Steam go into Offline Mode, but that didn't fix anything.

Kia Ora

Not sure if this will get deleted like it did on steams site

I found I freed up my game quite a bit by disabling the steam client in services seems some of the scanning tools

running i the background are a bit of a load.

Maybe try it and turn it back on if that's not it

I actually have done those things, the computer is running fine, everything is running like there is no problem.

I also did a driver re-install, I did a clean install of the driver, meaning no loose files left behind by simply installing over the current.

I deleted the INI files, and had steam re-download them.

I have the graphics settings turned down to Low right now, still studders like hell.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Since I already know my computer is more than capable of running it, I don't think posting my specs would be much.

But if someone that is knowledgeable about these sort of things, strongly suggest I do, to get the help I need, then I will.

I think I also updated my specs on my profile here as well.

Ok. Im not that knowledge on the ini files and stuff but if it was me i would

- downloads fraps and records fps drop when this happens so you can quote numbers to the lads on here

- do a driver re install.

- benchmark rig to see its performing properly on something like heaven or 3d mark 11

- delete ini files and get steam to re download the default ones.

- run at lower graphics settings to see if fps increases

Also if you can, post specs of yoir rig

Edited by ramakgaming

Well, here are some ideas, maybe one will be useful? I have the 9800Gt and have gotten it to run smoothly on medium settings, so you should be able to get at least that with yours...

Just some things to double check-- (skyrim.prfs)

Have you disabled the gamepad if you are not using it?

bGamepadEnable=0

Have you disabled all aitosaves, including the one

fAutosaveEveryXMins=0.0000

It could be a mouse issue. If you are using a wireless mouse, have you changed the batteries and made sure the mouse reciever is not obstructed? If you are using a wired mouse, have you checked the connections? Also if your mouse has "setpoint" technology, you can disable that from your taskmanager, and that might help. Also, check your ini files, some people have to mess around or disable mouse accelleration. Also turn off gamepad rumble if you are not using it. Below are my settings for reference, but you may not want exactly this.

[Controls]

fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000

fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0300

bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

bInvertYValues=1

bGamePadRumble=0

bMouseAcceleration=1

bUseKinect=0

It could also be a bottleneck problem, have you tried manually setting your fps to 60, or to 30? I had to set mine to 33 because oddly at 30 I got infinite load screens (thanks to kievkev for solving this!).

I know it is redundant, but have you triple checked to make sure you have every last unneeded program/service turned off? i got annoying stutters I finally attributed to my external drive saying hello to my main driver every few minutes. Sometimes it's just some little thing you wouldn't even think of... At one point I was using Gboost to turn off my KAspersky auto updates, but what happened instead was Kaspersky kept trying to connect and failed, chich caused stutters. Now I set K to game mode. Also find that Steam will do whatever it wants when you are connected, so at times that causes problems for me. Whenever I get really slow now, it's usually steam running an update or something.

Have you disabled FXAA and ambient occlusion? Soem people need to disable Vsync but personally I found my game works better with it.

What do you use as a driver interface? If you downloaded the latest drivers but are still using Nvidia's old control panel, it will not work as expected, according to NVidia's user notes. I found even the newest control panel is not so dependable. I use either EVGA precision or NVidia Inspector, depending on what I need to do. You can set both AA and AF with much more precision if you use NVidia Inspector instead of the steam graphics setting interface or the NVidia Control panel.

Also from NVidia's Installation guide--If you have previously installed NVIDIA nTune, NVIDIA recommends that you uninstall

nTune before installing this driver. After the driver install is complete, you can reinstall

NVIDIA nTune.Also, did you uninstall the PhysX drivers and reinstall during your clean reinstall?

If you haven't read it already, you might find the Geforce tweak guide for skyrim useful. I also like RookieNoob'sguide.

Anyway, hope something here helps a little...

I would have said the 430 is more of a htpc card than a gaming card, and the recommended specs for skyrim is a quad, but if you've had it running nicely before, than you can count out the hardware. What res are you running? 1650? Edited by Michaeljcox24