Vortex Problem with Unoffocial Oblivion Patch

Dimensional13

Alright, so, I am running a 64 bit copy Windows 10 - Home, using the latest version of Vortex, and wanted to play some Oblivion; the steam GOTY-version to be exact.

So, I installed the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5296) and all its sister-mods, the Unofficial Oblivion DLC patches (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/9969) and the Unofficial Shivering Islands patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10739). And since I wasn't really a fan of Oblivion's grabbing-system where you get arrested for even slightly touching something, I also installed PiiiP Enhanced Grabbing (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/19847)

Then, I noticed the most curious thing: None of the visual fixes and texture-fixes in the Unofficial Patches worked! None! Nada! The Zombie-hair was still black, the Imperial Watch gauntlets were still inproperly mapped etc. I am not sure if anything else broke, but at least visually, these patches didn't work as intended! I tried re-installing them, shuffling the load-order around by manually changing the mod index (I just put everything in front of the official data-files, nothing big), but nothing was working!

Out of frustration, I simply... deactivated all three mods and went over to the Community Release of the Nexus Mod Manager and just installed them with it instead! And would you look at that, suddenly everything worked as intended! Even after I opened Vortex again and it re-sorted the files, it still worked!

So, did I do something wrong here or did I find a bug? The mods themselves seem to be fine, and Vortex itself may be at fault.

Either way, I guess I'll keep using NMM for most oblivion mods for a while until this sorts itself out.

Since my problems are mostly visual glitches with no error message that already existed in the base game and only the mods fixed, I am not sure if posting screenshots is going to help here, (you can just see how it looks like in the mods descriptions) but I can do that if you want me to!

Edited by Dimensional13

Did you DEPLOY the mods after you installed them?

Yes, yes I did. Forgot to mention this, haha. But yes. I definitely deployed them. (How would I change the load-order if I didn't, i mean...?) They even changed SOME things in the game (like adding the two items that bring up the mod-settings), but all visual stuff and textures were just... untouched. I am not sure whats going on, does Vortex treat textures and stuff differently?

Either way, just in case I overlooked something, I clicked on the deploy-button again, resulting in absolutely nothing changing.

Edited by Dimensional13

OK, I think I see the problem.

Take a look in your Oblivion Directory and tell me if you have a TEXTURE and MESH folder in the Root, along with a DATA folder

So tell me if you have this

Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data

​Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Textures

​Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Meshes

Take a look in your Oblivion Directory and tell me if you have a TEXTURE and MESH folder in the Root, along with a DATA folder

I've got a Data-folder, yes, but the only Textures and Meshes-folders I could find were these INSIDE the data folder.

I've got a Data-folder, yes, but the only Textures and Meshes-folders I could find were these INSIDE the data folder.

OK, was just making sure, because some of the older mods are packaged wrong, and it makes Vortex (and NMM) install things outside the Data folder

So the Mods and Plugins on the MODS and Plugins tab are all showing ENABLED yes?

Do you have this in your Oblivion.ini?

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
bUseArchives=1
SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

OK, was just making sure, because some of the older mods are packaged wrong, and it makes Vortex (and NMM) install things outside the Data folder

Well, the Unofficial Oblivion Patch was updated just a little under 6 months ago so I don't really think they count as "old", haha!

So the Mods and Plugins on the MODS and Plugins tab are all showing ENABLED yes?

GO6Cvy3.png

Unless I stopped being able to read and suddenly became color-blind, yeah! :'D Same in the plugin-tab.

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
bUseArchives=1
SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

Well, "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa" and "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa" have swapped places in my case, but I think I can trace this back to trying to use THIS mod/program to fix my problem (which it didn't). Switching it around also hasn't helped.

Maybe I should also clarify that I am both playing the english game and using the english version of Vortex on a GERMAN machine though? I've come into contact with programs that got confused with certain file-paths because of the language in the days of old (like, you know, the folder "user" used to be renamed "benutzer" in german), but nowadays this doesn't seem to be a problem since the file-paths of for example "programs" and "user" in windows 10 aren't renamed on international PCs anymore.

Edited by Dimensional13

Well, the Unofficial Oblivion Patch was updated just a little under 6 months ago so I don't really think they count as "old", haha!

GO6Cvy3.png

Unless I stopped being able to read and suddenly became color-blind, yeah! :'D Same in the plugin-tab.

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
bUseArchives=1

Well, "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa" and "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa" have swapped places in my case, but I think I can trace this back to trying to use THIS mod/program to fix my problem (which it didn't). Switching it around also hasn't helped.

Maybe I should also clarify that I am both playing the english game and using the english version of Vortex on a GERMAN machine though? I've come into contact with programs that got confused with certain file-paths because of the language in the days of old (like, you know, the folder "user" used to be renamed "benutzer" in german), but nowadays this doesn't seem to be a problem since the file-paths of for example "programs" and "user" in windows 10 aren't renamed on international PCs anymore.

So what about your file paths?

Data\Meshes

Data\Textures

?

Seem to be fine!

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\Meshes

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\Textures"

Like I said, I really really am not sure what the issue is here. No matter what I do, the same mods that I used in NMM don't seem to work properly in Vortex, with textrues and visual things remaining unfixed. When I deactivate the mods in NMM and deploy them in Vortex, the textures don't work, even if I re-download it all. But when I undeploy/deactive them in Vortex and activate them in NMM everything's working a-ok, even after opening Vortex again and having the .esp files auto-sorted!

It's a highly confusing mess and the only conclusion I could come to is that Vortex is doing something different from NMM here that breaks the mods.

EDIT: If anyone could tell me if they have the same problem when trying to replicate it with the same mods I use, I'd appreciate it and I would already know a bit more!

Edited by Dimensional13

Seem to be fine!

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\Meshes

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\Textures"

Like I said, I really really am not sure what the issue is here. No matter what I do, the same mods that I used in NMM don't seem to work properly in Vortex, with textrues and visual things remaining unfixed. When I deactivate the mods in NMM and deploy them in Vortex, the textures don't work, even if I re-download it all. But when I undeploy/deactive them in Vortex and activate them in NMM everything's working a-ok, even after opening Vortex again and having the .esp files auto-sorted!

It's a highly confusing mess and the only conclusion I could come to is that Vortex is doing something different from NMM here that breaks the mods.

EDIT: If anyone could tell me if they have the same problem when trying to replicate it with the same mods I use, I'd appreciate it and I would already know a bit more!

Hang on, are you using two mod organizers on the same mod, or are you Installing with NMM, and it works, then Uninstalling the mod with NMM, then Installing the Mod with Vortex and it doesn't work, then Uninstalling the mod with Vortex.

Because your description makes it sound like you're using NMM and Vortex at the same time on the same mod