The latest update...and the problems it brings

Katarsi

I had finally brought myself to update the game to v1.5.73. Vortex and LOOT had been practically screaming at me to do so and finally I gave in because I was tired of looking at all those warnings which I couldn't turn off.

Of course, afterwards I had spent hours updating all the other mods, utilities and necessary stuff, then cleaning and the entire shebang. I made sure to back up my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini, just in case.

So I made it all neat and pretty, fired it up, and...I had instantly noticed three things. Well, four, but I can live without that one (the RaceMenu crash on Sculpt because ENB is missing and I don't use ENB).

1. Shadow flickering has become much worse.
  2. 3rd person view had moved so far back that I can see my entire character even when he's idle (in combat I can see him even further away).
  3. Stuttering is staggering. I had some small trouble maintaining FPS before which I could easily overlook, but this is just horrendous.

Any ideas why this is happening? If my mod list is required for your verdict, I'll be happy to provide it (113 active mods), and other specifics as well. Just please help me. Damn update, I should have known better than to go with it...

provide your mod list, all potential issues you mention could easily be caused by the chosen mods.

also i pretty sure Racemenu Does not Require an ENB at all, that would make no sense.

what it does require however is SKSE (which means you would need to launch the game via the skse_loader, not Skyrim.exe).

other info that would be very helpful will be:

Hardware Specs

Skyrim Video Settings (such as Antialiasing, Shadow Quality, Draw Distance etc etc)

windows OS

other causes can be:

Antivirus Software

Windows Security

and pretty much any software that is resource intesive.

also ensure your power options for both your GPU and Windows is setup to use maximum Performance (by defualt both of these are set up to use Optimal Power, which is not good at all for a high performance Desktop PC)

The option Sculpt in the RaceMenu requires ENB. Check the mod page - the comments section - and you'll see what I mean.

I have updated SKSE, it's working, and even LOOT agrees. I'm using Vortex and launching it from there.

Hardware specs... I'm playing on laptop - don't freak out immediately, I'm actually doing well. I originally played Skyrim SE on PS4 Pro but I want more mods, naturally. Unfortunately, this is currently the only available alternative for desired level of modding. Yeah, sure, I'd love to use ENB but my framerate would be crap.

I have tweaked the settings of my graphics with NVidia Inspector as well as NVidia control panel, I use many performance settings and mods, including the maximum performance in power settings. Antialiasing is TAA, SSAO is off. I use BethINI as well and I had adjusted the settings somewhere between Medium and High. It has all been working splendidly before.

BethINI settings:

Detailed Draw Distance: 2000

Exterior Draw Distance: 6000

Shadow Resolution: 1024

Shadow Bias: 0.30

...if you think of more important stuff, please specify.

I have Windows 10, main processor is Intel i7-6500U with GeForce 940MX,16GB RAM, around 2GB of VRAM (I had it overclocked a bit so it's more).

My antivirus is set to not interfere with gaming, and I always make sure to turn off as many background processes as I can before I start the game.

With all the aforementioned settings I had played the game just fine. After the update, the problems which I had originally pointed out occurred.

List of mods which I believe are relevant for performance:

- ENBoost v0283 (this is for FPS, it was actually made for Fallout but it works here just fine)
- Engine Fixes for SSE (parts 1 and 2)
- CLARALUX SSE
- Culling Data Glitch Fix
- Cutting Room Floor
- Enhanced Blood Textures SE
- Enhanced Lighting for ENB (ELE) SE (as you may already know, ENB isn't actually necessary for this mod to work)
- FNIS stuff
- Grass FPS Booster
- High Poly Project
- IMAGINATOR SSE
- Low Resolution Particles
- Multiple Floors Sandboxing
- No more radial blur - performance optimization
- Noble Skyrim Mod HD-2K - performance edition
- QUASIPC patch compendum
- Realistic Water Two
- Relighting Skyrim SE
- Quick Light
- RSSE Children Overhaul
- Skyland Watercolor
- Skyrim SE Project Optimization - No homes
- SSE Character Specular Lighting Fix - Patched Shader
- SMIM
- USSEP of course
- XPMSE

I have other stuff like armors, weapons, jewelry, complexions, abilities.

I fixed the problem with the far away 3rd person camera - to an extent. I switched to mouse & keyboard in the settings and scrolled to zoom in (I normally play with the controller and it doesn't have that option). Of course, it's a bit tedious to do it every time I start with a new character, but at least it's doable.

EDIT:

I fixed everything. I had to delve deep into .ini files and adjust settings and values. I previously had another mod which was supposed to be helpful and instead it messed up my .inis.

Edited by Katarsi