Screenshot Community Event: The Final Presentation

BigBizkit

In response to post #69292606. #69292866 is also a reply to the same post.

Irstina wrote: Ooh, my dodgy custom pose made it to the 15 favorites? I'm honored. ;)

I think I spent like 30 minutes moving Rikke's hand in Blender to try and get it to look somewhat natural. At least Tullius was good enough to assume that pose on his own \o/

Some great scenes from everyone, including many of those not featured above - I count something like 90 participants so picking only 15 must have been challenging. Didn't expect the commentary but it's a great idea!

Looking forward to whatever the next event will be about. Getting some direction like this certainly helps in terms of creativity.
BigBizkit wrote: Cheers, glad you liked it!

I think it is impressive that you edited the pose yourself just to get the shot. Overall, I was very intrigued by your Civil War set!

Oh. Next "screenshot" contest can I just render it in DAZ with skyrim billboards and a ton of post process?
Remind me again how this contest was to be "inclusive" to the average user.
Lovely image.. but far beyond what most are capable of doing.. or affording.
Edited by TeofaTsavo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #69294281. #69297236, #69299776 are all replies on the same post.

ajhardy wrote: I really appreciate all the work you put into this event! It does show how much you want to encourage this community. I especially want to praise the volunteers, DV and Rick. It was great to look through all of contributions. I know how difficult it was to make a set of selections from such an astoundingly superior set of contributions/entrants. I will patiently await your next event.
napoleonofthestump wrote: Thanks AJ!

To all y'all reading along at home: If you're not already familiar, AJ runs a lovely Skyrim community event, Elegance on a Sunday. Check it out and show some love for all the folks who support the beauty of this hobby and the good feeling of the screen-shooting scene.
ajhardy wrote: It includes Special Edition also.

Hopefully this changes your mind on being told not to crop, AJ.

In response to post #69294281. #69297236, #69299776, #69310041, #69310626 are all replies on the same post.

ajhardy wrote: I really appreciate all the work you put into this event! It does show how much you want to encourage this community. I especially want to praise the volunteers, DV and Rick. It was great to look through all of contributions. I know how difficult it was to make a set of selections from such an astoundingly superior set of contributions/entrants. I will patiently await your next event.

To all y'all reading along at home: If you're not already familiar, AJ runs a lovely Skyrim community event, Elegance on a Sunday. Check it out and show some love for all the folks who support the beauty of this hobby and the good feeling of the screen-shooting scene.
TeofaTsavo wrote: Hopefully this changes your mind on being told not to crop, AJ.
TeofaTsavo wrote: /shrug. I'm consistent

Teofa - It is always such pleasure to hear from you. Thanks for your suggestion, again. Edited by ajhardy

In response to post #69294281. #69297236, #69299776, #69310041, #69310326 are all replies on the same post.

TeofaTsavo wrote: Hopefully this changes your mind on being told not to crop, AJ.
ajhardy wrote: Teofa - It is always such pleasure to hear from you. Thanks for your. suggestion, again.

/shrug. I'm consistent

One last observation. All of the finalists are from "sets". (which I fully expected)

A de-facto "requirement" to have image hosting access.

In the future "Single" screenshot should mean just that. One screenshot at a time, not entire portfolios inserted into the description.

Or, is saying "inclusive" to all just so much fluff speak?

Edited by TeofaTsavo

These are actually some very cool shots. They're not only a pleasure to browse through, but Excellentium and napoleonofthestump's critique and visual breakdown of the images are just as enjoyable. They truly are artists. Thanks again to everyone who created this event and to all of its participants.

In response to post #69292606. #69292866, #69309521 are all replies on the same post.

Irstina wrote: Ooh, my dodgy custom pose made it to the 15 favorites? I'm honored. ;)

I think I spent like 30 minutes moving Rikke's hand in Blender to try and get it to look somewhat natural. At least Tullius was good enough to assume that pose on his own \o/

Some great scenes from everyone, including many of those not featured above - I count something like 90 participants so picking only 15 must have been challenging. Didn't expect the commentary but it's a great idea!

Looking forward to whatever the next event will be about. Getting some direction like this certainly helps in terms of creativity.

I think it is impressive that you edited the pose yourself just to get the shot. Overall, I was very intrigued by your Civil War set!
TeofaTsavo wrote: Oh. Next "screenshot" contest can I just render it in DAZ with skyrim billboards and a ton of post process?

I don't know about the others, but I haven't photoshopped my image(s), not because I wouldn't want to, but because I don't really know much about Photoshop.

I made a custom pose for Rikke which I learned to do from a tutorial on LL. I didn't know anything about Blender or custom posing before reading that guide, so if I could do it, being completely clueless, I think anyone could, -if- they want to put in that effort.

The only other thing outside the game that I did was stitching 3 images together in ICE to create the one you see above, which I learned from the "Panoramic Screenshot Technique" guide here on Nexus - which at the end of the day is just throwing the 3 images to the app and it does all the stitching and cropping for you. Although if I were more patient with camera positioning or changed my resolution I could achieve the same effect without this, it just felt more expedient to me to stitch them.

Other than that, it's just Snapdragon ENB - with mostly default settings, even.

All the programs I used are free, and I'm not exactly technically adept myself. I think what I did is theoretically well within reach of the average user and I would be more than happy to tell anyone how to do it if they were to ask, it's more a matter of whether they want to invest that kind of time in some silly screenshots, I find it fun, but most might not be interested in that kind of stuff.
Edited by Irstina

In response to post #69292606. #69292866, #69309521, #69313606 are all replies on the same post.

TeofaTsavo wrote: Oh. Next "screenshot" contest can I just render it in DAZ with skyrim billboards and a ton of post process?
Irstina wrote: I don't know about the others, but I haven't photoshopped my image(s), not because I wouldn't want to, but because I don't really know much about Photoshop.

I made a custom pose for Rikke which I learned to do from a tutorial on LL. I didn't know anything about Blender or custom posing before reading that guide, so if I could do it, being completely clueless, I think anyone could, -if- they want to put in that effort.

The only other thing outside the game that I did was stitching 3 images together in ICE to create the one you see above, which I learned from the "Panoramic Screenshot Technique" guide here on Nexus - which at the end of the day is just throwing the 3 images to the app and it does all the stitching and cropping for you. Although if I were more patient with camera positioning or changed my resolution I could achieve the same effect without this, it just felt more expedient to me to stitch them.

All the programs I used are free, and I'm not exactly technically adept myself. I think what I did is theoretically well within reach of the average user and I would be more than happy to tell anyone how to do it if they were to ask, it's more a matter of whether they want to invest that kind of time in some silly screenshots, I find it fun, but most might not be interested in that kind of stuff.

Hi Irstina,

You don’t have to explain yourself. You didn’t break any rules of the contest, you realized something, you liked the result and you wanted to share it with others. That’s the main thing, the rest is just frills. There will always be dissatisfaction, even in the face of perfection.

In response to post #69292606. #69292866, #69309521, #69313606, #69314061 are all replies on the same post.

Irstina wrote: I don't know about the others, but I haven't photoshopped my image(s), not because I wouldn't want to, but because I don't really know much about Photoshop.

EDV120 wrote: Hi Irstina,

You don’t have to explain yourself. You didn’t break any rules of the contest, you realized something, you liked the result and you wanted to share it with others. That’s the main thing, the rest is just frills. There will always be dissatisfaction, even in the face of perfection.

Oh. Next "screenshot" contest can I just render it in DAZ with skyrim billboards and a ton of post process?

Most people who can’t afford it are people who are waiting for it to fall out of the sky rather than putting their hands in the dirt.

There are a lot of free software and a lot more tutorials. We must not be lazy to consult them.

Today, with the Internet and everything in it to make post-processing accessible to everyone, everywhere, even on a phone, the one who says, "I can’t afford it," is someone who says, "I don’t want to lift a finger, I want it to fall into my mouth".

None of the participants in this contest are responsible for the laziness of those who come here only to spit on the work done by hiding behind a false pretext. Everyone can afford to do post-treatment, but not everyone wants to do it. If they do not respect themselves, they should at least respect those who have understood that we are getting nothing without anything.

You know, almost a year ago, when I started, I knew absolutely nothing. Just the Print Screen key. I didn’t even dare post an image on the Nexus (or elsewhere) when I’ve been a member for almost three years.

Today I created my own Reshade, I’m thinking about creating my own ENB and I’m one of the 15 finalists, how do you think that happened ? By the operation of the Holy Spirit ? By invoking the Holy Patron of the Photoshopers or a genius in a bottle ? with sarcastic comments ? Complaints ? Negative reviews and pejorative comments ?

I learned by observing the work of others, reading tutorials, daring to participate in community events, listening to advice that wasn’t even meant for me, trying, over and over again (and also missing, repeatedly). I did this by being patient, determined, listening, and putting my pride and ego aside so that I could always move forward. Not overnight, but by taking the time to take the time.

It takes effort, effort that anyone can make ; effort that NO ONE can make for you. Edited by Guest

In response to post #69311441.

TeofaTsavo wrote: One last observation. All of the finalists are from "sets". (which I fully expected)

A de-facto "requirement" to have image hosting access.

In the future "Single" screenshot should mean just that. One screenshot at a time, not entire portfolios inserted into the description.

Or, is saying "inclusive" to all just so much fluff speak?

Sets allow you to make visual stories and I've seen some great efforts in this particular style ever since I started the theme idea in February last year, so shutting the door for those who like telling tales with their images is not very inclusive. You'd miss out on some great creativity in the sense of storytelling. Two of the finalists are also single shots.

I used to do single shots too when I started making screenshots in vanilla Skyrim some years back now, but since the majority of my shots are also from regular gameplay, I find it very pleasing depicting the adventure in a set nowadays. There are plenty of free image hosting sites around if you want to try it. It gets to you though, making sets, because it's fun even if it means more work for the actual upload. Edited by Excellentium