Screenshot Community Event: The Final Presentation

BigBizkit

In response to post #69299336.

chimichanga78 wrote: I want to thank the nexus staff and especially the originators of the whole events, Excellentium and napoleonofthestump. All your effort and passion brought joy to everyone and the community closer together.
Under no circumstances I should have been one of the winners, looking at all the fantastic contributions of so many really gifted artists here.
I did not even think about the possibilty to win something. Makes it really special to me.
I thank you all :)

Congrats !

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #69311441. #69314471 is also a reply to the same post.

TeofaTsavo wrote: One last observation. All of the finalists are from "sets". (which I fully expected)

A de-facto "requirement" to have image hosting access.

In the future "Single" screenshot should mean just that. One screenshot at a time, not entire portfolios inserted into the description.

Or, is saying "inclusive" to all just so much fluff speak?
Excellentium wrote: Sets allow you to make visual stories and I've seen some great efforts in this particular style ever since I started the theme idea in February last year, so shutting the door for those who like telling tales with their images is not very inclusive. You'd miss out on some great creativity in the sense of storytelling. Two of the finalists are also single shots.

I used to do single shots too when I started making screenshots in vanilla Skyrim some years back now, but since the majority of my shots are also from regular gameplay, I find it very pleasing depicting the adventure in a set nowadays. There are plenty of free image hosting sites around if you want to try it. It gets to you though, making sets, because it's fun even if it means more work for the actual upload.

Glad to clear that up for you:
defa23's and ImmotalIce's entries are singular shots. The hyperlinks are labelled "full set" for consistency - if you check them out you will see that there is only one image on their respective image pages.

Those 15 shots were picked as individual shots.

There are plenty of free image hosting options. For starters, you could host all your images on our site and still embed them in your image description. Imgur is another convenient alternative.

Thanks for your feedback. We'll make an effort to provide more tips like that in the launch post for the next event. :)

In response to post #69312786.

LeonidasNerevar wrote: These are actually some very cool shots. They're not only a pleasure to browse through, but Excellentium and napoleonofthestump's critique and visual breakdown of the images are just as enjoyable. They truly are artists. Thanks again to everyone who created this event and to all of its participants.

Thank you for your kind words. It was a blast running the event, but really all the praise belongs to the participants and their enthusiasm. :)

Hi the Nexus staff, Excellentium and napoleonofthestump,

Thank you for this event, which I hope is only the first of many and congratulations to everyone (Nexus, Excellentium, napoleonofthestump and all participants). I really like the idea of explaining the choices. When it’s done well, it’s always interesting and informative.

I didn’t expect to be among the 15 finalists. In fact, I didn’t expect anything. Which makes me all the more surprised and touched by this result. Thank you very much for taking the time to look and enjoy my work, and see you soon to the next event :D

Edited by Guest

In response to post #69315201.

EDV120 wrote: Hi the Nexus staff, Excellentium and napoleonofthestump,

Thank you for this event, which I hope is only the first of many and congratulations to everyone (Nexus, Excellentium, napoleonofthestump and all participants). I really like the idea of explaining the choices. When it’s done well, it’s always interesting and informative.

I didn’t expect to be among the 15 finalists. In fact, I didn’t expect anything. Which makes me all the more surprised and touched by this result. Thank you very much for taking the time to look and enjoy my work, and see you soon to the next event :D

Thanks and congratulations to you!

Oops... Am I late ?

Seems to be more

"Conflict and Struggle"

in the event comments

than in some screenies...

A different opinion always sounds like an aggression for some folks down here.

I hope some of them "artists" will never have to deal with the real "art world"

a scary world with a lot of criticism, good and bad, with many different opinions, often far from theirs...

I know, young kids usually don't accept criticism...

When everybody think the same way isn't it called a hive mind ? Boring.

When only one opinion is tolerated isn't it called totalitarianism ? Frightening.

Maybe you should make an exhibit instead of a contest.

Nothing to win, never!, no ranking nor "best 3", only sharing.

When artists wait for a prize, art dies and so comes the time of financials, billionaires and Jeff Koons.

Maybe you should work with other gamers sites to "publish" screenshots exhibitions in the future, in more than one place.

It will feed ego for sure. Some people need that. Fine.

Things can't work when you put "art" and "competition" at the same place.

Art prizes are bull...t.

You will only flatter egos. But it will not make this hobby grow as an art.

It's like ice and fire,

(Hearth Wind & Fire you say? cool)

tea and coffee,

Tom & Jerry,

my ex-wife and me,

"It just don't work"

I'm truly surprised to see so many people who call themselves "artists" involved in a kind of "art contest".

And don't tell me "It's not a contest it's an Event" come on, there's a ranking, a "jury selection"!

Ranking art is just a matter of profit balance, not a matter of art itself.

How one can say "this one deserve the first place and not this one".

What is the rating chart please ? Can you rate a feeling, an emotion?

Oh, is there a kind of "Glasgow emotional scale" to rate art ?

So Guernica deserves a 10 and Koons balloon dog deserves nothing; both are artists.

Who is the best Dali or Picasso ?

Or it is only a matter of skills and techniques mastery?

So maybe you should say it's not for newcomers,

only for "officially recognized and praised talented screenarcher" (still don't know what it is...)

Screen-technicians I would say.

(best to be in the jury friends list? okay fair enough, that's life)

But it is only my opinion,

I will never ask anyone to agree with me

and maybe I deserve tar and feathers for that... again.

And maybe this post will be deleted...

Would be glad to have the opinion of people who can flight above the clouds aka the organizers of the event.

Thanks for struggling.

Edited by kaldaar

In response to post #69317581.

kaldaar wrote: Oops... Am I late ?

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments
than in the screenies...

a scary world with a lot of criticism, good and bad, with many different opinions, often far from theirs...

When only one opinion is tolerated isn't it called totalitarianism ? Frightening.

When artists wait for a prize, art dies and so comes the time of financials, billionaires and Jeff Koons.

Maybe you should work with other gamers sites to "publish" screenshots exhibitions in the future, in more than one place.

Art prizes are bull...t.
It's like ice and fire,
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

I'm truly surprised to see so many people who call themselves "artists" involved in a kind of "art contest".
And don't tell me "It's not a contest it's an Event" come on, there's a ranking, a "jury selection"!
So Guernica deserves a 10 and Koons balloon dog deserves nothing; both are artists.

only for "officially recognized and praised talented screenarcher" (still don't know what it is...)

Would be glad to have the opinion of people who can flight above the clouds aka the organizers of the event.

Thanks for struggling.

I'm really glad you posted this here too. :thumbsup:

In response to post #69317581. #69317731 is also a reply to the same post.

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments

Art prizes are bull...t.
It's like ice and fire,
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

Thanks for struggling.
Asaforg wrote: I'm really glad you posted this here too. :thumbsup:

And I've even shaved my body hair for the next "tar and feathers" event.
And like always, people will read and understand the opposite of what I'm saying ;-) Edited by kaldaar

In response to post #69317581. #69317731, #69318976 are all replies on the same post.

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments

Art prizes are bull...t.
It's like ice and fire,
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

Thanks for struggling.
Asaforg wrote: I'm really glad you posted this here too. :thumbsup:
kaldaar wrote: And I've even shaved my body hair for the next "tar and feathers" event.
And like always, people will read and understand the opposite of what I'm saying ;-)

I can not speak for the art world, but in academia you can count on your best friends ripping you to shreds. If they don't do that, then they are not your friends because they are beating the folks that don't like you to the punch. Your friend criticize nicely, your enemies do it viciously. What needs to be said, is that valid criticism comments on the work and not the person. And good criticism bears in mind that you are dealing with another human being that deserves the same dignity as you feel you need. Great criticism is an art form and few achieve it because it addresses the work in a way that improves it and it leaves the individual validated. It is very easy to forget that the person you are dealing with here actually is a person. This is such an impersonal means of communicating on the internet that we can treat people as something much less than human and make them just an object to be dealt with. Edited by ajhardy