Sins of the Solar Empire

Dyflinn432

What are your thoughts on the game im thinking of buying it (most likely rebellion) as my first space strategy type game ... it looks pretty good, what did you guys think about it, i like the way its fully RTS but does that make it hard to mange your Empire and fight at the same time? or is the original better than Rebellion?

I also noticed a Game on steam called Legends of Pegasus, that's releasing tomorrow but it doesn't look that great and name doesn't help it either

BTW Just noticed the mistake in the title should be sins of A solar empire not THE please forgive my mistake

Edited by Dyflinn432

My boyfriend has Sins of a Solar Empire and the expansion/DLC whatever you wanna call it Entrenchment. It's a fun game and I think it's well done. He hasn't played it in quite a few months now. There's not many people that play it online and playing the computer gets pretty boring after awhile. Rebellion looks interesting because it is standalone, but he hasn't bothered purchasing it.

I think you'd be better off buying the original just to try it out, it's probably pretty cheap.

What are your thoughts on the game im thinking of buying it (most likely rebellion) as my first space strategy type game ... it looks pretty good, what did you guys think about it, i like the way its fully RTS but does that make it hard to mange your Empire and fight at the same time? or is the original better than Rebellion?

I also noticed a Game on steam called Legends of Pegasus, that's releasing tomorrow but it doesn't look that great and name doesn't help it either

BTW Just noticed the mistake in the title should be sins of A solar empire not THE please forgive my mistake

If you don't mind spending ages playing it, giving yourself a migrain doing maths and like hardcore, thought out stratergy, you'll love it. The interface is beautifully organised and surprisingly intuitive, the combat's also surprisingly good, and the gameplay in general is triple-A. The graphics hold up well, and it's also notable for above-average reliability(Never had a CTD from it, or a lockup for that matter) though if you're a bit new, you'll get owned at first. It's a game that rewards patient, smart play, and it's one you'll need to practice and learn to play well to be good at, if this is a problem, IE you have little free time, I'd say avoid, but if you're willing to invest the time and effort, it's a very deep, very strategic game that will genuinely test your RTS skills, if that's what you're after, then you'll love it.

It's one of the best Space RTS games imo. I love playing it! I tried searching about Legends of Pegasus, gameplay videos and all.... There are some interesting aspects on the game, such as the ship customizing interface, but I think that's just it. In any case, I have the original myself, and it's pretty fun. Rebellion would be a better choice, I'd guess, if not for the extra content it has.

Let me just start off by saying that buying the original trilogy is a big waste. There's not campaign in either game, and Rebellion basically has everything the original had, plus more. It's a bit more expensive, but rather get the one with the more content. Rebellion is well worth it too, adds a lot of fun new things to the game.

Now for the game itself, a lot of people call Sins a 4X game with RTS elements, when it's actually the other way around. Sins is an RTS game with strong 4X elements, and it does this wonderfully. It's one of the best RTS games I've played in the last ten years. It can become a bit difficult once you start going into multiplayer, but if you know the races and have a strategy thought out, you should do alright.

Let me just tell you, some people disagree with me on this, but the scale of this game puts SupCom to shame. The maps can range anything from 10 planets to hundreds of planets spread across various star systems. The sheer size of some of the largest maps might cripple PCs, and if that doesn't, the amount of units on-screen can do so once you reach late game. I once played a game that lasted 19 hours (you can save and resume later), and by the end of it I couldn't zoom in too close to the action because the sheer amount of ships in the battles I was busy fighting was crippling my system, and this is a PC that is considered to fall somewhere between mid-high range, leaning a bit more towards the high-range than the mid-range.

It's an amazing game. Really, I can't recommend it enough to people. As a 4X, it's unfortunately not quite as complex as something like Galactic Civilizations, but as an RTS, it's a lot more complex than most RTS games on the market.

A few years back, me and my friends would have LANs dedicated solely to this game at each other's houses. We're actually planning one again soon so we can try Rebellion in multiplayer. :P

Edited by Halororor

Wow really hundreds of planets ... awesome, i still don't no whether or not to get rebellion by itself on steam (which means a 2 day if not more download with my crap internet) .. or get the original with another cheap game off play.com ... holy cow 19 hours .. im guessing there's no quick match option then :D

There's not campaign in either game, and Rebellion basically has everything the original had, plus more. It's a bit more expensive, but rather get the one with the more content. Rebellion is well worth it too, adds a lot of fun new things to the game.

I never bothered playing the campaign. Skimirsh and Multiplayer is where it's at. Definitely a good game to play those long Multiplayer sessions. ;D

Let me just tell you, some people disagree with me on this, but the scale of this game puts SupCom to shame. The maps can range anything from 10 planets to hundreds of planets spread across various star systems. The sheer size of some of the largest maps might cripple PCs, and if that doesn't, the amount of units on-screen can do so once you reach late game.

It's scary. There's such huge ammount of planets that It becomes a superhuman task to manage everything properly towards end game :P

Wow really hundreds of planets ... awesome, i still don't no whether or not to get rebellion by itself on steam (which means a 2 day if not more download with my crap internet) .. or get the original with another cheap game off play.com ... holy cow 19 hours .. im guessing there's no quick match option then :D

Well, the 19 hour game was played on one of the biggest maps available, so the smaller maps might go a lot quicker. I've never played the smaller maps, though. I always take the biggest one I can. :P

Yea expect 6 hours on some of the medium maps. Though the largest map made which had 255 systems with 255 planets/(points of intrest) in each system never actually finished. Sins is effectively a 4x Lite game, though enjoyable I do wish more had gone into it. Now if you just looking for something along the lines of RTS Homeword and Homeworld 2 are quite good. Homeworld 2 is pretty old by gaming standards and is pretty fun but I think that game is really brought out by the total conversion Homeworld 2 Complex (current build version 8.2.3) by bringing in some of the 4x element making some games last up to 3 hours. Though these games do start off slow the battles get larger and more epic later in the game. Edited by Gracinfields