Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

Also I'm having a little trouble with something completely unrelated. I am trying to create the dragon claw display described way back on page 3 I think it was. I've got everything else working, except when I try to place, say, the ebony claw in-game, the fail message pops up. On a hunch I tested each of my ten displays and found that each one requires the Golden claw, but displays the correct claw.

For instance, (in-game) I collected the Ebony claw, and tried to place it in its corresponding display. The message that goes something like "you do not have the item required" popped up, even though I very much did have it. So I went and retrieved the golden claw, on a hunch, and tried to place it in the Ebony claw display. That worked perfectly. Only, instead of displaying the Golden Claw, it displayed the Ebony claw, which is what i want it to do, only i want the player to be able to use the Ebony claw to do it.

I know this is a really old topic, but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out here.

This is probably gonna sound kind of stupid, but do I have to download that mod, or can I see what i need on its page? Because I have yet to be able to figure out how to use mods from the nexus inside the creation kit.

You have to download the mod, then install the mod. After that you can load it up in the Creation Kit. To look at scripts and other assets that are not loose but inside BSA files you will need a program like BSAopt to extract them.

Also I'm having a little trouble with something completely unrelated. I am trying to create the dragon claw display described way back on page 3 I think it was. I've got everything else working, except when I try to place, say, the ebony claw in-game, the fail message pops up. On a hunch I tested each of my ten displays and found that each one requires the Golden claw, but displays the correct claw.

For instance, (in-game) I collected the Ebony claw, and tried to place it in its corresponding display. The message that goes something like "you do not have the item required" popped up, even though I very much did have it. So I went and retrieved the golden claw, on a hunch, and tried to place it in the Ebony claw display. That worked perfectly. Only, instead of displaying the Golden Claw, it displayed the Ebony claw, which is what i want it to do, only i want the player to be able to use the Ebony claw to do it.

I know this is a really old topic, but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out here.

Sounds like you have it set up to require the same item for each display rather than the different items. I've not followed that tutorial but I would imagine that it is designed to be a script for displaying a single claw. If that is the case then you just need to go to the appropriate record(s) housing the script and change the value assigned to the property for the required claw from the golden claw to the desired claw.

This is probably gonna sound kind of stupid, but do I have to download that mod, or can I see what i need on its page? Because I have yet to be able to figure out how to use mods from the nexus inside the creation kit.

You have to download the mod, then install the mod. After that you can load it up in the Creation Kit. To look at scripts and other assets that are not loose but inside BSA files you will need a program like BSAopt to extract them.

Oh ok. I'll be sure to try the Haven Bag then.

Sounds like you have it set up to require the same item for each display rather than the different items. I've not followed that tutorial but I would imagine that it is designed to be a script for displaying a single claw. If that is the case then you just need to go to the appropriate record(s) housing the script and change the value assigned to the property for the required claw from the golden claw to the desired claw.

I think I get what you're saying. But see, that's where I run into a slight problem. I only copied and pasted the script that author provided. I have no experience scripting myself, so I wouldn't know how to change what's displayed.

Alright, I went to Sjogga's tutorial.

This step located just below the script code

Right click DragonClawHolderScript and select "Edit Properties". Select ClawToPlace and hit the Edit Value button. Scroll down in the list until you find MS13GoldenClaw.

You would need to repeat this for each display but pick a different claw.

The reason the correct claw displays is that you properly set up the static representation object that the script enables/disables. But the reason that the script requires just the one claw is that you assigned the same property value on each instance of the script.

Alright, I went to Sjogga's tutorial.

This step located just below the script code

Right click DragonClawHolderScript and select "Edit Properties". Select ClawToPlace and hit the Edit Value button. Scroll down in the list until you find MS13GoldenClaw.

You would need to repeat this for each display but pick a different claw.

The reason the correct claw displays is that you properly set up the static representation object that the script enables/disables. But the reason that the script requires just the one claw is that you assigned the same property value on each instance of the script.

Yeah I had thought so too, and had gone in and changed each one to the correct claw. Still resulted in requiring the golden claw for all of them

Did you test on a save that has not seen any of these aspects before?

The game will prefer to use what is stored in the save file and so property changes on already loaded objects do not take effect.

Edited by IsharaMeradin

Did you test on a save that has not seen any of these aspects before?

The game will prefer to use what is stored in the save file and so property changes on already loaded objects do not take effect.

Yes that's what I did. How would I make it affect that save file then? I have a level 32-35 character and don't want to have to make a new one just to utilize this display.

I suggest first, that you use a new character or coc somewhere from the main menu while testing out the changes that you do. Once you know that everything works as intended under those conditions then and only then would it be time to consider figuring out how to make it work under mid-game conditions.