Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

Thank you for the Dragon Priest Mask tutorial. I got it to work, mostly. I can add the masks to the busts, but when I remove them they are not added to my inventory. The only exception is the Ultimate mask; I can add and remove this one at will. Do you have a solution for the other 8 masks ?

I looked at some other mods I found and got the same problem. Somehow the adding and removing of masks only seem to work in the Dragon Priest Sanctuary. Everywhere else, regardless of mod, I can add them, but when I remove them they are not added to my inventory.

I believe the setup of the Ultimate priestmask is for some reason why only that one works. I found some mods where the Ultimate priestmask was set up as the basic other ones (using the basic script and a linkref to it's bust) and in that case the mask did not work either.

Is there some clause in the basic script that only allows you to remove and add a mask when it is only in a certain locatiom ?

I appreciate any assistance on this.

Invalid setup. Re-read the tutorial, because you certainly missed something.

Thank you for the quick response. I did everything mentioned in the tutorial:

-) copy the 9 busts with their triggers into my cell (not including the big statue holder activator)

-) set myindex-variable to -1 in the script of the trigger for the 8 busts

-) selected mybustactivator in the script of Konariks trigger and selected its bust

I really don't see what I have missed. I have gone over the tutorial several times and it seems pretty straightforward. I tested the setup in my cell by placing the 9 masks in there. I do see the animation on the busts when placing the masks, so that part works. It is only the removing part that goes wrong. I see the masks getting removed from the busts but they are simply not added to my inventory (with the exception of Konariks mask).

I don't use other mods when testing my own mods.

What is really frustrating is that I have downloaded some other mods with bust holders and get the same negative results. I did this to see how others set it up. But the basically copied everything straight out of the Sanctuary including the large bustholder without changing any properties at all.

When i put the dragon priest masks in the cell for my mod, all i did was copy and paste the whole thing directly from the original location. as far as i know, everything works fine. perhaps you should try to copy and paste the original display, and see if it works that way. then either model what you want off that, or just change the way it looks to suit your needs, instead of making the whole thing from scratch

Edited by fruitierracer42

Did you test it on a new save?

Did you test it with no other mods installed?

Also, check your Data/scripts-folder for any mask related script. If you find any, delete it. Remember not to delete scripts inside Data/scripts/source.

I tested it several ways;

1) When in main menu, I used the console to go to my mod cell, pick up the masks I had placed there, used the console to go into the Sanctuary, used the masks there. That works.

2) When in main menu, I used the console to go to my mod cell, pick up the masks and used them on the busts in my cell. That doesn't work completely. Only the Ultimate mask works.

3) Started a whole new character from the beginning, made a save and did the things mentioned in step 1 (without using the main menu of course). That works.

4) Used the character again by using the save and did the things mentioned in step 2. Again that doesn't work completely.

My mod was active when I created a new character. I did not load it up after the creation of a character.

I have no other mods active, apart from the DLC's.

In my Data/scripts-folder I have only the clawrelated script which I created for a different mod using your tutorial. That one works fine.

the dragon priest masks in the cell for my mod, all i did was copy and paste the whole thing directly from the original location. as far as i know, everything works fine. perhaps you should try to copy and paste the original display, and see if it works that way. then either model what you want off that, or just change the way it looks to suit your needs, instead of making the whole thing from scratch

I have tried this one as well, including the big priest mask holder that opens up to reveal the Ultimate mask. Ii doesn't open up when I place the 8 masks, because the scripts make a link to the activator in the original cell. And again I can add masks but when removing them they don't show in my inventory. I do not get the message "Mask added".

alright, i'll fully test mine out shortly, and see if i run into the same problem. i haven't tested with all 8, and i don't think i've actually removed the masks yet.

in the mean time, if opening the ultimate mask display is an issue, you may be able to copy the activator over to your cell as well.

alright, i'll fully test mine out shortly, and see if i run into the same problem. i haven't tested with all 8, and i don't think i've actually removed the masks yet.

in the mean time, if opening the ultimate mask display is an issue, you may be able to copy the activator over to your cell as well.

The only thing I can get to work is the Ultimate mask. I have disconnected it from the big dragonpriest bust holder and set the script to link to it's own bust. The Ultimate mask is the only thing I can add and remove at will.

What is odd, is that in all the mods from other creators I have used, I get the same issue with the masks not being added to my inventory when removing them from the busts.

The only thing I can get to work is the Ultimate mask. I have disconnected it from the big dragonpriest bust holder and set the script to link to it's own bust. The Ultimate mask is the only thing I can add and remove at will.

What is odd, is that in all the mods from other creators I have used, I get the same issue with the masks not being added to my inventory when removing them from the busts.

now, bear in mind that i don't know a lot about how the system works, but i do have a little experience with it under my belt so i'll try to help as much as i can. with that said, it sounds to me like you're having a software issue.

i just checked my mod, with the copy and pasted dragon priest display, and everything works fine. i can add all 8 masks, as well as remove them. i havent gotten the dragon head thing to open yet but i'll work on that next.

the only thing i can think of that would be causing your problem, is that one, you don't have the script typed down correctly (but seeing as how you've used other people's mods and it still doesn't work i dont think that's the issue), or two: the script isn't being saved to your computer, or at least not to the right location. first though, just to see, can you copy and paste the script you've been using here? that and the script the original display and items use. i want to see if your original matches mine.

and just to be clear, you are using the creation kit correct?

also, just out of curiosity, does the display at the original location let you add and remove the masks correctly?

Yes, the busts work correctly in the Dragon Priest Sanctuary.

These are the two scripts. I have not worked on them or create them myself, these are the scripts from the game itself.

First script:

Scriptname dunLabyrinthianMaskBustSCRIPT extends ObjectReference
{Handling Script for Mask Busts}

armor property myMask auto
{Which mask am I made for?}
int property myIndex auto
{Need indices to track the various masks}
MusicType property FinalMaskRevealMusic auto

message property defaultLackTheItemMSG auto

dunLabyrinthianUltraMaskBustSCRIPT property master auto

bool placed = FALSE

EVENT onActivate(objectReference actronaut)
if placed == FALSE
if actronaut.getItemCount(myMask) >= 1
blockActivation()
actronaut.removeItem(myMask, 1)
placed = TRUE
getLinkedRef().playAnimationandWait("on","TransOn")
updateMaster()
blockActivation(FALSE)
else
defaultLackTheItemMSG.show()
endif
elseif placed == TRUE
blockActivation()
actronaut.addItem(myMask, 1)
placed = FALSE
getLinkedRef().playAnimationAndWait("off","TransOff")
updateMaster()
blockActivation(FALSE)
endif

endEVENT

FUNCTION updateMaster()
; empty is false so I must have just placed a mask
if myIndex == 01
master.Mask01placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 02
master.Mask02placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 03
master.Mask03placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 04
master.Mask04placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 05
master.Mask05placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 06
master.Mask06placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 07
master.Mask07placed = placed
elseif myIndex == 08
master.Mask08placed = placed
endif

; check to see if that completes the collection
if master.mask01placed == TRUE && master.mask02placed == TRUE && master.mask03placed == TRUE && master.mask04placed == TRUE && master.mask05placed == TRUE && master.mask06placed == TRUE && master.mask07placed == TRUE && master.mask08placed == TRUE
if master.hasBeenUnlocked == FALSE
master.hasBeenUnlocked = TRUE
objectReference masterBust = master.myBustActivator
masterBust.playAnimation("on")
master.placed = TRUE
master.getLinkedRef().playAnimation("open")
FinalMaskRevealMusic.add()
endif
endif

endFUNCTION

Second script:

Scriptname dunLabyrinthianUltraMaskBustSCRIPT extends ObjectReference
{Acts as control script for mask altar}

bool property Mask01placed auto
bool property Mask02placed auto
bool property Mask03placed auto
bool property Mask04placed auto
bool property Mask05placed auto
bool property Mask06placed auto
bool property Mask07placed auto
bool property Mask08placed auto

bool property placed auto
bool property hasBeenUnlocked auto

objectReference property myBustActivator auto

message property defaultLackTheItemMSG auto
armor property ArmorDragonPriestMaskUltraHelmet auto

EVENT onActivate(objectReference actronaut)
if placed == FALSE
if actronaut.getItemCount(ArmorDragonPriestMaskUltraHelmet) >= 1
blockActivation()
actronaut.removeItem(ArmorDragonPriestMaskUltraHelmet, 1)
placed = TRUE
myBustActivator.playAnimationandWait("on","TransOn")
blockActivation(FALSE)
else
defaultLackTheItemMSG.show()
endif
elseif placed == TRUE
blockActivation()
actronaut.addItem(ArmorDragonPriestMaskUltraHelmet, 1)
placed = FALSE
myBustActivator.playAnimationAndWait("off","TransOff")
blockActivation(FALSE)
endif

endEVENT

well i compared your script to mine. they're both identical, so far as i can tell. i can't think of any reason as to why yours isn't functioning correctly... how long has this been going on? what other mods do you have installed? could there be one that might be interfering with the dragon priest display?

after playing around with my setup, i noticed something that could possibly be the source of your issue. when you double click on each mask's trigger, their window pops up to show their information. under the "scripts" section should be "dunLabyrinthianMaskBustSCRIPT." when you double click on that, you get that script's properties. there should be a list of five properties. the third one down, "master," click it once, and you'll get a section where you can pick a reference in the render window. by default, the cell listed is: "LabyrinthianPriestSanctuary" and the reference being "dunLabyrinthianBustTriggerMaster."

perhaps if you select your cell in the dropdown window, and select the "dunLabyrinthianBustTriggerMaster" of that cell, your display will start working properly. I would suggest making a duplicate trigger if you do this. for example: "dunLabyrinthianBustTriggerSteel," should be made into "MyBustTriggerSteel"; "dunLabyrinthianBustTriggerMoonstone" should be "MyBustTriggerMoonstone" and so on. just to ensure that the changes you make will not affect anything in the master game.

let me know if this works. also, if i wasn't clear enough in my instructions, please let me know and i will try to go into more detail.

you shoud also do the same for the "dunLabyrinthianBustTriggerMaster," only this time the property to be edited will be called "myBustActivator" instead of "master" and the reference in your cell should be the "DragonPriestMaskUltra01"