What if there was holodecks as common tech

Maharg67

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such technologies exist in a vacuum. To have working cars you need far more technologies than just the working cars.

While this is true, much of those base technologies already exist in their infancy in the form of point-cloud scanners and methods for rendering point-cloud data. The problem is that there is a certain physicial limit to the fidelity of that data based on what sort of electromagnetic waves are used to obtain that data. There are also issues with how deeply into the material this sort of scanning can go without going into the electromagnetic band which is harmful to individuals. In the case of current imaging, most of what cannot be determined directly from the scan is either treated as superfluous or gets generated based on assumed information. For example, for architectural imaging, you usually can only get the external geometry of a structure rendered from a surface of points that can get a very detailed mapping... But you cannot determine things like the thickness of the plaster, if there are any small voids between bricks, any hidden metal work, ect. In the case of architectural imaging for new buildings, this sort of information is assumed based on a generalized schematic of a typical wall, or is laid out in some sort of engineering detail which us usually not overly useful for anyone other than the contractor who is building that structure and would otherwise just add extra complications to what is being displayed. In the case of medicine and auto-repair this could certainly still be useful as a teaching tool since you can just work from generalized information or painstakingly reconstructed images from a postmortem case. But it probably wouldn't be something you could just scan each and every individual case as a diagnostic tool either as a matter of cost, or of safety/reliability. Even if it got to the point where individual scans were possible, it likely wouldn't make things better since you would end up getting all this information about every minor defect or imperfection even when it is not causing any harm. For example, the average person can have a dozen or so physiological abnormalities or small tumors/growths/parasites/birth defects/foreign objects inside them, but be perfectly healthy.

@Vangrant0

You are clearly more up to date with some kinds of knowledge than I am and I generally accept what you say; I have learned some valuable ideas from you as I have from others. My point is that holodeck technologies of Star Trek level would be at least a couple centuries into the future, as far as I could figure for predicting such stuff is at best haphazard. Many of the problems we can now envision will have had plenty of time to be dealt with, hopefully.

When the idea of breech loading cannons first came out it was many centuries before they became practical as a common weapon. Developments in metallurgy, in engineering etc. had to take place before the common muzzle loading cannons could be replaced. By the time that breech loading cannons were becoming standard, the general level of scientific knowledge had advanced greatly.

The kind of diagnostic problems that you envision will have had be faced by then, and overcome, for holodeck and many other such technologies to work.

Technologies often face many development hurdles and have often done so in the past whether one is talking about a wooden canoe or the steam locomotive or the humble toothpick.

In university I studied the history of scientific and technological developments and some related areas.

I far from dismiss your ideas but such difficulties need to be overcome if we are to continue to advance in our technological understanding in applications.

PS: Star Trek itself would be good to play in a holodeck, which I suppose would be ironic!

History from World War Two to the Renaissance, Ancient Rome and much else. Relive the lives of famous people or adventure in many ways. Maybe change history to suit as in Alternate Histories.

A normal world but one in which I am very small, such as a household empty of 'giant humans', a backyard that would seem like a vast expanse, etc. (As in Honey You've Shrunk the Kids).

Gilligan's Island but with the all women except for Gilligan. I would be Gilligan. Sorry, am male and predictable! Still, going exploring, fighting cannibals, etc. it would be more than the one thing.

Gilligan's Island but with the all women except for Gilligan. I would be Gilligan. Sorry, am male and predictable! Still, going exploring, fighting cannibals, etc. it would be more than the one thing.

suuurrreee. :rolleyes:

No such technologies exist in a vacuum. To have working cars you need far more technologies than just the working cars.

While this is true, much of those base technologies already exist in their infancy in the form of point-cloud scanners and methods for rendering point-cloud data. The problem is that there is a certain physicial limit to the fidelity of that data based on what sort of electromagnetic waves are used to obtain that data. There are also issues with how deeply into the material this sort of scanning can go without going into the electromagnetic band which is harmful to individuals. In the case of current imaging, most of what cannot be determined directly from the scan is either treated as superfluous or gets generated based on assumed information. For example, for architectural imaging, you usually can only get the external geometry of a structure rendered from a surface of points that can get a very detailed mapping... But you cannot determine things like the thickness of the plaster, if there are any small voids between bricks, any hidden metal work, ect. In the case of architectural imaging for new buildings, this sort of information is assumed based on a generalized schematic of a typical wall, or is laid out in some sort of engineering detail which us usually not overly useful for anyone other than the contractor who is building that structure and would otherwise just add extra complications to what is being displayed. In the case of medicine and auto-repair this could certainly still be useful as a teaching tool since you can just work from generalized information or painstakingly reconstructed images from a postmortem case. But it probably wouldn't be something you could just scan each and every individual case as a diagnostic tool either as a matter of cost, or of safety/reliability. Even if it got to the point where individual scans were possible, it likely wouldn't make things better since you would end up getting all this information about every minor defect or imperfection even when it is not causing any harm. For example, the average person can have a dozen or so physiological abnormalities or small tumors/growths/parasites/birth defects/foreign objects inside them, but be perfectly healthy.

Is it my imagination, that I am able to create if I use co-related images I have seen collectively adding them to my own imagination, a kind of internal holographic imagery in my mind?

Or are those dream like visions I have while slowly awakening created some where else and being planted in my sleep making it seem like I am dreaming when it could be a new device that transmits imagery over a frequency I am able to interpret only when I am in a dream level of sleeps unconscious state?

I think that's just called being a man (and technically inclined women) and actually using the stuff between yours for what it was designed for instead of just excess weight and solidity to help with the crushing of beer cans. Most of those I know in a manually engaged field (construction, architectural design, machining, ect) as well as myself can do similar things. Many others can too once they've had enough coffee and stared at things long enough.

It's part of basic spacial relationship skills.