Looking for mods that improve immersion

davidd8029

So I have played and beaten Skyrim a couple times without mods. I am looking to add some mods to improve immersion and to give me more options and such. I am willing to add normal and MXR type stuff. My computer is pretty high end and I can run Skyrim maxed out on HD with no issues. Any help y'all could give me would be great.

Hi.

For someone new to modding i would suggest using Vortex (very easy to use) and try a few off the top mods. If using only mods changing different aspects compability is not that big issue if you let Vortex sort out the load order.

Start with some basics to improve the vanilla game like USSEP, SMIM, SkyUI. Try Alternate Start so you dont have to play the Helgen part once more.

Think off what you want to improve? Maby try a combat mod to make it more challenging. A few armor and weapons mods so loot becommes more fun.

Try not to install to many mods off same sort in the beginning, like 50 armor mods or 5 combat mods. They will prolly have conflicts in some way.

After getting a basic understanding off different types off mods like textures, quests, combat, environmental, UI/HUD, and so on try some known Mod guide/list here on Nexus.

If u at that point have a basic understanding you can follow a guide and choise your favorite mods along.

A misstake i see often is people dont read so they understand what the mod does.

A weapons mod can for example be just a restexture off a vanilla weapon or a brand new weapon. Some weapon mods only alters looks and some alters stats and values.

Read everyting on the mod page before installing and also the last comments on each mod to be sure how it works.

Good luck!

I think immersion is best obtained by always playing in first person mode.

For mod managers, NMM is the simplest, MO2 is good for those who like power through complexity, and Vortex is the very latest manager with power elements of MO2 but easier to understand. Those are good criteria on which to base your choice.

Best Companion mod - Inigo, but Skyrim is blessed with about a dozen better than vanilla companion mods. I currently am using seven of them.

Best Quest mod - Interesting NPCs, but there are so many good ones and most go well together.

Best Female Improvement mod - CBBE

Best Overall Texture mod - Noble Skyrim SE

Best Lighting mod - ELFX

Best ENB or ReShade - Purely an individual choice.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Moksha8088

Vortex is a good choice. It had a rocky start, but is still being worked on and is now pretty reliable.

Best advice for someone just starting to mod: install them one at a time and play a few hours with each before adding another. Nothing will get you into trouble faster than grabbing everything that looks interesting all at once - it'll be hard to troubleshoot when you hit the almost inevitable incompatibility.

Second tip: always read the comments before downloading any mod. If it has technical issues, needs to occupy a certain load order, is incompatible with other mods or requires patches, you'll find that stuff out in the Posts tab.

Beware of relying on mod reviewers. I'm a fan of MxR and love his sense of humor. However, he'll sometimes gush about a mod that turns out to be a turd. Not his fault, he (along with every other reviewer) just doesn't spend enough time with any one mod to gauge its stability over the long term.

It's hard to choose mods based on endorsements or the Top Files section, because often there are newer alternatives that haven't had time yet to make the list. I wish they had an option to sort by download-to-endorsement ratio. That would give newer mods a shot at the first page.

Second tip: always read the comments before downloading any mod. If it has technical issues, needs to occupy a certain load order, is incompatible with other mods or requires patches, you'll find that stuff out in the Posts tab.

Beware of relying on mod reviewers. I'm a fan of MxR and love his sense of humor. However, he'll sometimes gush about a mod that turns out to be a turd. Not his fault, he (along with every other reviewer) just doesn't spend enough time with any one mod to gauge its stability over the long term.

^Best advice right there.