SkyRe vs Duel vs ASIS, and ACE

redeyesandlonghair

I'm looking at these three mods and trying to decide some things about them. I'm getting the idea that I might be able to use all three at the same time, by only enabling certain parts of them. I'm hoping someone who has experienced these mods might be able to give me some information.

1) Enemy AI - Which one has the best AI adjustments? It seems that SkyRe doesn't make any script additions. I'm not sure how ASIS makes enemies use potions, though I suspect it does so through a script. Duel seems like it definitely uses scripts to accomplish all the things it causes the AI to do. Would it be possible to have the AI modules from all three running at the same time? Would it make more sense to leave out SkyRe's AI module since it seems to only adjust a few variables, which Duel probably does as well?

2) Combat Module. ACE's Realist Combat module seems to be compatible with the others, since it seems to do all its work through buffs/debuffs. SkyRe's combat module and its perks seem to be intertwined to some degree, though I'm not entirely sure about this. I know that both SkyRe and Duel have a lot of effects where stagger and stamina use are concerned, though I'm not exactly sure how they implement these effects. It seems that strange things might happen if everytime I attack there are two scripts firing off to determine if the target gets staggered or not.

3) At first glance, my plan of attack is as follows:

ASIS

-add perks and spells to npcs

-add potions to npcs

-activate AI module ( if its requires to make npcs use potions )

ACE

-BYOG module

-realistic combat module

SkyRe

-Main Module

-Standing Stones module

-Combat Module (?not sure...should I just let Duel handle it?)

Duel

active

Currently I'm only using SkyRe and the two modules from ACE. While at first, when I was low level, battles felt challenging, now at just lvl 25 it's starting to feel a bit iffy... I often find myself saying "well that was brave of him", when an npc does something fairly stupid.

Currently i use

Skyre - FUll package

Ace - synergy & Magic Forms modules

Asis - allows enemies to fight with mod added spells, and increases AI

i also used to use duel. maybe i can add more of ace too. because sometimes enemies are easy, but most the time they are HARDCORE. play with this on master. you will have fun for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't like T3nd0s full overhaul. I haven't checked on it since, because right after I stopped using it I found the three mods you talk about and the three combined work freaking wonders. Battles are diffcult, and require strategy and carefl placement. You can't just WASD dance and do fine, moving hurts your combat effectiveness. IMO the three are a perfect mix. Plus I have around 100-150 OTHER mods that alter all kinds of little things or large things and T3nd0s seems like it is pretty much the only thing you can have installed.

• 2 months later...

This mod is my favorite perk overhaul to date. All the other ones seemed too bloated or involved, and make the game something different instead of something 'better'. I stayed away from FCOM for Oblivion for the same reason, using only Frans. I use SPERG with Duel, and some people use it with ASIS, but if you choose to do that, you should exclude SPERG because a couple of those perks when applied to NPCs cause crashes. That's being worked on though.

I'm also using the standard version of Skyrim Unleashed at the moment to delevel enemies, but the Skyrim Scaling Stopper or certain modules of ESRO can achieve the same thing.

thank you much Nakakita! i was looking for a good standalone perk mod. i had used Perky and loved it, but it did introduce some close to game breaking bugs that'd pop up, and it's been abandoned ;(.

i really don't like using total complete overhauls. ever since a somewhat early version (well it was a year old lol) of FOOK killed like 3 playthrus of Fallout3, i've tried to stay away from them. i'd thought of using bits and pieces of the above mods like the 1st poster talks of doing. but what would be a good mix that doesn't create instability? you really like Unleashed? never heard of it

I have mixed views on unleashed. I like that the modder is supporting a version with no other dependent mods, which is something I didn't exactly like about the Scaling Stopper. The monster mod that Boss keeps saying you're supposed to use with it adds dinosaurs... and other things that just have no place in Skyrim (and the lore-friendly plugin version never worked for me). Then if you want to use one armor set, sometimes you need to download and install 10 others.

Unleashed might end up integrating a perk overhaul with it eventually (some users keep suggesting it, and the modder once mentioned he might do it), and if it does, and it's not modular, I'll have to quit using it because I love SPERG too much to give it up. The crafting overhaul with Unleashed is interesting. You have to find or buy plans if you want to upgrade your armor. You're also more likely to find gems or ingots (and plans) than actual armor or weapons. The prices on everything have been increased, but if you don't need to buy things, or you're a mage who uses armor spells and doesn't have any intention of smithing, you end up with nothing but profit. You could (and I have) end up with an ebony sword at level 5. Or you could find nothing but iron junk at level 45. But it's modular, so if you don't like the item or crafting stuff you can ignore that, keep the NPC AI tweaks and descaling, and install Morrowloot or something for items. I just hope the modder keeps it simple and effective and doesn't go too crazy and become a monster like those other overhaul mods.

SPERG + Duel + Unleashed is definitely stable for me though. I have 120 active mods at the moment, and I haven't had any crashes in a while that didn't involve Alt-tabbing fail, or a couple of the scripts that SKSE automatically installs.

I didn't like T3nd0s full overhaul. I haven't checked on it since, because right after I stopped using it I found the three mods you talk about and the three combined work freaking wonders. Battles are diffcult, and require strategy and carefl placement. You can't just WASD dance and do fine, moving hurts your combat effectiveness. IMO the three are a perfect mix. Plus I have around 100-150 OTHER mods that alter all kinds of little things or large things and T3nd0s seems like it is pretty much the only thing you can have installed.

I use over 130 mods and SkyRe works perfectly fine for me, and I use every single module! :thumbsup: Though, I did have to pass up a few mods here and there that mess with perk trees, but some of my favorites have patches for it, so all in all, it's a lot more compatible with other mods then people think. I personally think LESS mods should modify the perk trees, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a mod I liked that I didn't download because it randomly modifies a perk tree. :sad: But, I would do that even without SkyRe.

Also, I don't use ace or asis and never have, simply because combining them with SkyRe and my 130 something other mods seems like a serious chore. SkyRe was the very first mod I installed, probably why it works so well for me.

I personally liked the combat in vanilla skyrim though, I felt like being quick footed and quick at the button presses gave me an advantage against my opponents. I always play as very quick agile characters though, I suppose if you are playing as a big tank of a character vanilla combat can be a little weird.

I use a lot of other mods like Mighty Dragons, Deadly Dragons, and Diverse Dragons along with SkyMoMod, which all in all make them game more challenging.

If all of the aspects are used with SkyRe, it just makes the game feel more balanced in my opinion. It does change a lot, but it still very much feels like elder scrolls to me, in fact, it feels more like elder scrolls then vanilla skyrim in my opinion. My goal has been to pretty much change skyrim into elder scrolls 6, the only thing I'm missing is all new quest lines. =P

thanks folks. yeah i'm already using Monstermod and Skytest and a few scropt intensive mods. so i already get some lag from spawns and scripts. was hoping to get some overhaul mixture w/ ACE, skyre, ect, that didn't add too many scripts or spawns.