New Computer

Well I was looking at some new computers today. I don't like to build my own, so I was looking at the "pre-built" PCs.

First I have to say... Holy crap. So much better than my computer. And my computer was probably the same price as one of these. Of course mine is seven years old, yep... It came out in 2005.

What I looked at all had at least 1TB of hard drive space (I cringe to even think of how much more that is than mine, I actually don't know mine) and I think 6GB of RAM was the lowest (which is double my current). The lowest end processor these computers had were four times better than mine. AND they all have Windows 7. I already have a graphics card I am happy with (and that surpasses the graphics cards provided in these computers) so the CPU and memory stuff was the most important to me.

I'll put the SKU and name so you can see the ones I looked at in Best Buy.

2. HP - Pavilion Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive SKU: 5563016 (Seems to have a problem with sleep mode, and that it doesn't have a 6 pin cord to power any parts, which my current graphics card needs. I think I have a cord that switches from one type to a 6 pin)
  3. Asus - Essentio Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive SKU: 5555478 (Apparently includes a graphics card that is worse than the onboard one)
  4. HP - Pavilion HPE Desktop - 10GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive SKU: 5563052 (The reviews confuse me... The seem to be complaints but still give 4-5 stars)
  5. Alienware - Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive SKU: 6237831 (In the store its the same price as the Asus, and it has a better CPU. Plus Alienware computers always look cool. And they are built for gamers)

So these are the four that aren't too expensive, available in my store, have a CD drive and aren't laptops or all-in-one so I can stick my current graphics card in them. Any suggestions? I'm not too good with processors and more advanced parts like that so I'm a little nervous about making a decision.

Also I compared my CPU and the ones from these computers just for fun. The first number (Passmark CPU mark) is better if its higher, the second one (rank) is better if lower.

• Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz 489 1056
  • Intel Core i7 620LM @ 2.00GHz 2012 487
  • AMD A6-3650 APU 3584 272
  • AMD Six-Core 6231 115
  • Intel Core i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz 7064 81

As you can see, mine is... A bit outdated.

Have you ever tried to get a pc shop to build it for you, thats exactly what i did on my first build and they weren't all that expensive either, its the store you go to really, just ask for the type of parts you want and get them to build it for you, also make sure to ask how much it'll cost before you purchase the parts before hand. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/smile.gif Edited by Thor.

or you can go to a site like ibuypower.com and build your own PC. it might be a little higher price, but you can get better parts, the parts you want, and they build it for you. ive heard good things about the site. might be something worth looking in to.

EDIT: was just checking it out, seeing how much more it would cost to build off there, and literally almost building the exact same thing as i would right now (the build im planning on building in the spring) it would be just barely more, like $100 more after everything is said and done. and thats with the same Case, GPU, CPU, Keyboard, etc i am getting normally and almost nothing that i wouldnt get. it doesnt add much that you cant take away. however, ill be putting a 256gb SSD in mine, where if i built with ibuypower, id only be getting a 60gb one.

basically what im saying, is from what i can see, if your uncomfortable with building a PC and werent quite super picky (they have a lot of options, but ofc not as many as if you were to build it yourself) then it seems like a great option. ive heard good reliable things about that site, but definitely try to look up some reviews for yourself.

Edited by hoofhearted4

Yeah the biggest problem I have with building my own is not having any idea what I would need to get. I've looked at the websites before and clicked out of them when I got to things I didn't understand.

@Thor I don't know there are any PC shops around my area. Even big electronics stores are closing, like Best Buy. There is only one left near me that I know of. Ooop Nevermind, there are two really small local shops both about forty to fifty minutes away from me.... In some sketchy places. -.- Vic's or Vaughn's? Independence or Kansas City? Haha I might check into one of these though.

@Jim I knew they are more expensive than building one, I just like knowing that I don't have to know too much about what it needs. Plus my HP has lasted seven years and still works okay, its just getting outdated. Particularly my CPU, which is really really bad compared to today's technology.

I guess I will look at some of these places and just ask anything here.

Okay... So something just scratched on my door. Scared the s*** out of me, and there isn't anyone else up here.

Edited by K00L

I used a custom build website in the UK, and while it may be different country to country, I actually priced all the parts etc I chose from them, and their price came out cheaper (including the assembly) from them than it would have been if I'd bought all the same parts and built it myself.

I'd never use anyone else now. The one they built me 6-7 years ago is still running too, it's just totally obsolete :biggrin:

I used a custom build website in the UK, and while it may be different country to country, I actually priced all the parts etc I chose from them, and their price came out cheaper (including the assembly) from them than it would have been if I'd bought all the same parts and built it myself.

I'd never use anyone else now. The one they built me 6-7 years ago is still running too, it's just totally obsolete :biggrin:

Well my HP is still running and its about to turn 7 in October! :P

It also survived two or three viruses (my little brother... This was while it was my dad's computer. Then he gave it to me while it still had a virus... And no sound. Fixed that and now I realize the processor is too old to even run cutscenes well, but everything else runs fine). Poor thing has been through a lot. D:

Anyway, I was looking at iBuyPower and already have a question. AMD or Intel? Since these are the parts I know very little about, I don't know which is better.

Edited by K00L

Intel is better, AMD is cheaper. if your not trying to go as cheap as possible, go Intel. and even then, Intel's lower end chips are still just as good/better then AMDs chips.

how much are you looking/willing to spend K00L?

Go amd if your on a budget, but you want that Socket hassle i would stay clear of intel, specially upgrading your cpu from a older intel board. it can be a nightmare. Unlike intel amd always stays with a single socket like am3+. Its just a matter of finding whats right for you.

Personally i would go AMD, but i am not forcing you on the subject though.

Well my HP is still running and its about to turn 7 in October! :P

It also survived two or three viruses. Poor thing has been through a lot. D:

Anyway, I was looking at iBuyPower and already have a question. AMD or Intel? Since these are the parts I know very little about, I don't know which is better.

From everything I've read, including people posting here complaining about poor performance after they bought one, do NOT get an AMD bulldozer CPU.

They just don't perform as well as their specs suggest they will, especially for gaming. I am NOT a fanboy of either manufacturer but I did a LOT of reading when I bought my PC, just a few months ago, and can honestly say I don't think I found a single source that supported the AMD bulldozers. AMD's older processors are really good (especially in value for money terms) but I found near universal agreement that the money you save getting a new AMD bulldozer rather a newest gen Intel isn't worth it.

From the ones you listed above I'd take the i5-3450. I did in fact. :biggrin: