Borderlands 2 and other Co Op Games

K00L

So everyone knows about Borderlands 2.

And probably Dead Space 3.

But there are quite few others. It seemed like Co Op wasn't that big of a thing anymore and most multiplayer was competitive.

Overstrike

Army Of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Brothers in Arms: Furious 4

Orcs Must Die 2 and Mass Effect 3 (and supposedly Dragon Age 3) added coop to their series. Maybe I just didn't pay attention before, but it really seems like a big surge of games like this are coming out or have came out fairly recently. Not to mention there are some I didn't mention or that I don't know of. Maybe this isn't a lot, but I thought it seemed like everyone just wanted more Call of Duty (I know its not the only one) style competitive multiplayer.

Allllsoooo this is kind of the main reason I posted this (I was looking at Borderlands 2 stuff, got ready to look at this then realized there were a crap ton of cooperative games I knew about. The Border Lands

Orcs Must Die 2 is great co-op. I never thought I would like it, but they incorporated it well. Some of the maps are meant for two people, but with clever strategy you can do it single player. For once, well atleast for me, a sequel that's been done well :)

I still would rather play single player games though haha. I never really liked playing with others, be it 1 person or 32.

The only time I like playing with someone else is if its cooperative. And normally that's with friends I know or my brothers. I was seriously thinking about getting Orcs Must Die 2 but I had never heard anyone talk about it before.

It's my avvy and sig as you can see. I'm addicted to it lol. I got the first one and just loved it. A lot of people said it was missing co-op, so they did it with the sequel. It's nice, works with Steam's servers and all, but it doesn't have a co-op lobby. You have to add people to your friend's list and invite them to play. I don't really like adding people that aren't my "friends" you know? :P People have been asking on the forums for it, so hopefully it will be added with upcoming patches :)

Try the demo. Only get to play two levels with each of the characters, but it gives you a good feeling of what it is.

Lol

I think I will try the demo. I only had my brothers on my Steam friends list at first, but I added two other people I knew from a game that moved to Steam. I have to play in offline mode now because one won't quit asking me about my games or if I will play Team Fortress 2 with him. xD

I tried the demo... Wow. That. Was. Fun!

:tongue:

Edited by K00L

Haha, you can set not to log into Friends List or set yourself as "offline" as well.

Yeah, sooo fun :D New DLC came out today too, getting it on Friday.

I've been in a bit of a homicidal mood lately but have recently decided I've been mysanthropic enough and crept back into online. For me one of the best co-op games was EVE Online, for the simple reason of it's high stakes. In EVE danger was everywhere; not only from mobs, but from rogue players, traitor corp(guild)mates, and sometimes even space phenomina itself(I once lost a thirty million credit Jaguar to a cosmic debris field) Whether doing a gang roam in a PVP zone, or a co-op mission against the AI, co-op in EVE was a unique experience, and uniquely rewarding as a result. If someone lost a ship-that was it, gone, they'd need to buy another, and if their pod was destroyed, then the damage bill could easily run into hundreds of millions. And this all created a sense of brothers/sisters in arms: you had a lot to be afraid of, and that made trust critical, yet when you did succeed, the results could be amazing. One of my fondest EVE memories is spending 6 hours mining with friends and the whole alliance, and the alliance's friends, and those friend's friends. Milling about the three massive Orcas like a swarm of busy bees, we eventually dragged in enough ore to make half a dozen battleships easily, and all went home very rich curtosey of ore buyback.

Another would be Halo-it's a tired example, but I've got a lot of fond memories of splitscreen co-op after school in the early 2000s, and later on, the bizaar hilarity of online Co-op once it went live. From racing Mongeese to forming a living SPARTAN tower to retrieve a Skull(collectable item, unlocks bonus features, very hard to reach) and other, occasionally insane tactics, Halo lended itself perfectly to co-op. It's friendly community(honestly the ragey halo player is a myth IMO, most are just a bit too playful IE crazy/hyperactive) and vast potential for mischief(no pun intended) is a brilliant combination.

The Last Stand in Dawn Of War II also comes to mind, specifically one game I don't think I'll forget. For Space Marine players, the Lightning Claw was an item that some would kill for; an extremely powerful weapon with devestating AOE and lightning fast swings, it was the weapon of choice for most if not all Space Marines in TLS. TO get it, you needed to earn an Achievment, for kills in one match. In this particular game we were all Space Marines, and like afforementioned battle-brothers, we worked as one against the endless tide of the enemies of mankind. Specifically, three of the four of us went with defensive builds, while the fourth went with an AOE DPS build. One by one, across four games, we all got our claws, and some very nice scores aswell. Co-op truly worked that night-polite, honourable gameplay with four people working for a common goal. For Chapter And Emperor indeed.

One of the worst was SWTOR, for the simple reason that one bad player could completely ruin any group, and quite a few people did so just to be jerks. I can't count how many times I needed to reform a group because the DPS was being an idiot and went full-moron when told he'd messed up.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/528px-BA_Honour_Guard3.gif

Pic related to Dawn of War co-op

Edited by Vindekarr

:P That's what I meant. I'm only offline in the friend's list. I just say offline because that's what it says in there, I didn't mean it like completely disconnected from Steam. I might have to "encourage" someone I know to buy it and that way when I get it I will have someone I know to play with. xD

I couldn't get into EVE. I guess it just wasn't really something I liked. It honestly looked cool and I kept hearing about it, but when I tried it I really didn't care for it.

I used to play Halo with my brother split screen. We always played on Legendary for whatever reason, but it was a lot of fun. I stopped playing those after the third one. So I've missed a few.

I actually have Dawn of War II. I loved the first one so I bought the second. But I had no sound so I never played it. I'll have to reinstall it sometime.

I really wish I could play SWTOR offline. Its a really good game but I don't like playing with random people. And I've seen what you said, people being horrible on purpose. We had a guy who just kept rushing a boss and he was someone who could heal us. But because he was always dead that never happened. Then he jumped off an edge and quit. I would much rather play with a family member or a friend. SWTOR is actually going to be free-to-play now.

EVE remains a very niche game, despite it's fame and popularity. In a lot of ways, you have to have the right people to play the game with. If you try to solo it with no one to talk to or nothing to do off-screen, you're doomed to get very bored very quickly. If you do find that right corp, you're golden.

EVE remains a very niche game, despite it's fame and popularity. In a lot of ways, you have to have the right people to play the game with. If you try to solo it with no one to talk to or nothing to do off-screen, you're doomed to get very bored very quickly. If you do find that right corp, you're golden.

I absolutely agree. Probably headed back there after the next patch boosts up mining.