Next best thing for the US (and perhaps the world)

mizdarby

Straw Poll of voting intentions  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for in 2012 US Elections

• Barack Obama/Democrats
    • Mitt Romney/Republicans
    • Any Other/Third Party such as Libertarian/Green etc
    • All political parties are a waste of my vote

Here are just 4 things I think the republican party needs to do to survive...

1. The republican party needs to dissociate their personal or religious beliefs when creating policies.

2. The republican party needs to remove the elitist mentality.

3. The republican party can't afford to move any further to the right they need to move more to the center. (The only way the republican party has a future is if they really take a big step to the left now.)

4. The republican party needs to reform their core beliefs. This is probably the main thing that will destroy their party in the next few years if it remains the same. Thier current base voters is just not big enough anymore.

I know there could be more but just a few things that would actually need to be done or their party will probably be finished in the next few years.

1. Want to hear something shocking? Everybody in politics is run by their personal and/or religious beliefs when they're not lying and kissing babies. That's why political parties exist in the first place. It's also why people vote for someone, in the first place.

2. I can make a case for Democrat elitism, too. Most notably at the college I went to. Disagreeing with Obamacare got people labeled as "selfish". A preacher spoke in the campus "Free Speech Zone" and got condoms (among other things) dumped on or thrown at him. I even got personally got called a hater for trying to defend said preacher!

3. How much more to the center do you want!? John McCain, called "The Maverick", whom Rush Limbaugh has made no bones about disliking for not being conservative, was not center enough? Mitt Romney, a Republican in Massachusetts (John Stewart refers to such as a democrat everywhere else), who signed a law in which Barack Obama called the basis of Obamacare, is not center enough? Oh, and exactly how close to the center were the Republicans in 2010 when they took the House by force and gained 6 seats in the Senate? That shift in power was not negated in this year's election.

4. Refer again to 2010.

I have heard year after year after year how the Republicans are almost done. Yet Bush got elected to 2 terms, Scott Brown won Ted Kennedy's old seat, and they took back the House of Representatives. You're going to have to do a lot more convincing than that to make me believe they going away anytime soon.

1. Republican party cant afford to push policies based on their personal and/or religious beliefs anymore (the majority of america is no longer on their side. "demographics")

2. Democrats do have elitism too yet republican can't afford to keep the elitist mentality. ( they no longer represent a majority of the american populus "demographics")

3. the reason why the republican party is dying is because its so far too the right currently moving any farther to the right will just alienate more people. ("demographics")

4. 2010 is not 2012 the population of voters has dramatically changed in favor of the democratic party. ("demographics again")

It's estimated that white american citizens will decrease to 68% or less of the voting population by 2016. If they don't seriously reform their core beliefs the party will probably die.

If you understand why Obama won the election this year is because of demographics. Obama tapped into such a large amount of the voting population so diverse that the average republican conservative voters can't compete anymore. And with the core beliefs the republican party currently stands for the percentage of supporters every year just keeps shrinking. The new large majority of the american voting population doesn't relate to republican conservative core beliefs anymore. You can call it unfair, be mad about it, or even go into denial. It's just the way America is currently. Historically every new generation is diversely more liberal which is why the democratic party is an easy choice for new voters to identify with.

One reason why Nate silvers election predictions were so accrate was because he tapped into the census bureau when making his calculations. People in politics can't afford to ignore how fast america and the world has been changing in growth in such a short amount of time. The Democratic party took advantage of this change in population of voters. Republicans have to come to reality that people don't look at the 80's as the greatest age of modern america anymore. Most of the new voting population were not even adults during the regan years.

if you think the Republican party will survive I guess its fair to say it's your opinion and I won't try to change it.

"The Republican Party includes fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, neoconservatives, moderates, and libertarians."

This kind of Ideology as a whole only appeal to The extremely wealthy, White males, and Radical Christian believers. I hardly see how the republican party can diversely expand without major reform.

All I have to say is to the current republican establishment is "Goodluck" I personally don't see it lasting long in it's current state with the growing population. That is just my opinion.

Edited by colourwheel

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing up John McCain, he was someone who a lot of moderate democrats wouldn't have minded having in office at all. It was Sarah Palin who was the kiss of death. People were put off by her in a huge way. Mitt is/was a moderate but his problem was constantly changing according to whoever he was currently pandering to at the moment. What was that joke I heard? A liberal, a conservative, and a moderate walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hi, Mitt!"

Regarding Scott Brown, he was just defeated by Elizabeth Warren. At least three of the candidates who made the rape/pregnancy comments were defeated, and Todd Akin had originally had his re-election all sewn up. The first openly gay senator was just elected in Wisconsin.

As far as social issues go, I think the country is just starting to move on and the GOP should kind of want to move on with it, otherwise I think these kinds of things are just going to keep happening to them.

What was that joke I heard? A liberal, a conservative, and a moderate walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hi, Mitt!"

lol :laugh:

Here is another joke....

(How to know your political party has to seriously reform)

Two friends are talking and one guy asks, "So did the guy who made that horrible comment about Rape win or loose this election cycle?"

His friend responds, "Which Rape comment guy?"

Edited by colourwheel

Want to hear something shocking? Everybody in politics is run by their personal and/or religious beliefs when they're not lying and kissing babies. That's why political parties exist in the first place. It's also why people vote for someone, in the first place.

This may be true to an extent, but the issue is the conservatives want things to stay the same because that provides stability and continuity for them or want to return to "the way things were". There is nothing wrong with following a religious belief, but the conservatives are not about following a religious belief, they are about everyone following their religious beliefs; and if you don’t, then you should be punished in some way.

People do vote based upon certain beliefs, this would explain to a degree why Obama has a second term and the Republicans were soundly and decisively defeated. Obviously, the majority of voters do not hold the same beliefs as the Republicans – religious or other - and the Republicans obviously need to change their beliefs and message if they expect people to vote for them.

I can make a case for Democrat elitism, too. Most notably at the college I went to. Disagreeing with Obamacare got people labeled as "selfish". A preacher spoke in the campus "Free Speech Zone" and got condoms (among other things) dumped on or thrown at him. I even got personally got called a hater for trying to defend said preacher!

I’m not sure how this example is elitism. If the preacher was saying everyone supporting Obamacare was going to hell or that it is Gods will that those who cannot afford health care should die, I’d probably say that was selfish as well and throw condoms at him too.

Disagreeing with someone is not elitism. Saying you are better than others and everyone should conform (or else) to what you want because you are a middle/upper class white anglo saxon protestant and know what is best for everyone, that is elitism.

I don’t think anyone has even suggested the Democratic Party does not have its faults, and comparison of beliefs isn’t the issue being discussed anyway, so I’m sort of failing to see your point here. Comparison of elitist beliefs isn’t an issue, the failure of the Republicans to win an election is.

How much more to the center do you want!? John McCain, called "The Maverick", whom Rush Limbaugh has made no bones about disliking for not being conservative, was not center enough? Mitt Romney, a Republican in Massachusetts (John Stewart refers to such as a democrat everywhere else), who signed a law in which Barack Obama called the basis of Obamacare, is not center enough? Oh, and exactly how close to the center were the Republicans in 2010 when they took the House by force and gained 6 seats in the Senate? That shift in power was not negated in this year's election.

What colourwheel and mellowtraumatic said.

Quite honestly, if Mitt had been the moderate republican he had been as Governor of Massachusetts I’m not so sure Obama would have won a second term, or at least not as decisively as he did. I have to ask why you think the Republicans lost this election if you believe they ran a campaign that was more central?

I have heard year after year after year how the Republicans are almost done. Yet Bush got elected to 2 terms, Scott Brown won Ted Kennedy's old seat, and they took back the House of Representatives. You're going to have to do a lot more convincing than that to make me believe they going away anytime soon.

Simply, people are changing and if the Republicans do not become more central in their beliefs and values they will continue to alienate more and more of the population.

Look at the demographics as to who voted for who this election.

Look at the how the demographics are changing.

It is predicted that there will be no demographic majority in the USA by 2035. That means the WASPs who are traditionally conservative will no longer be in a demographic that holds the majority of voters in the country. Do you expect that those who are not within the typical conservative demographic will embrace radical conservative beliefs?

You stated previously that people vote on their personal and religious beliefs. Personal and religious beliefs are changing because the country is changing, but the conservative message is not, and especially the conservatives who are advocating to be more radical.

I don’t think anyone wants to convince you or even expects to convince you of anything. However, to suggest that nothing is changing in the US as far as demographics and voter beliefs go, think back to 2000 and consider that any state would elect a alternative lifestyle senator or vote to legalize marijuana (other than California maybe) at that election. Things are changing and will continue to change and if political parties do not change then they will not survive holding the status quo or worse, by becoming more radical and less mainstream.

The vast majority of people who vote are not stupid or stuck on a "party line" and really do have a pretty good idea of what they want from a government. The hard part is getting a government that will do the "right" things rather than advance some agenda that few see as resolving the problems.

The problem is that Republican party of old, the one Lincoln was part of, is that it doesn't exist any more. It originally had the vote of the new England states, the red states were blue, and vice versa back then, it had support of the working class, farmers, protestants, blacks etc. It even supported the gold standard. It's entirely different to the party of today. It has seemingly been usurped or at least fragmented by fundamentalist conservatives.

Tidus44 explain it better than i did. :thumbsup:

Also if Lincoln was alive today he would probably be a Democrat.

One thing i find funny is Foxnews seems to be in denial of the reality thier political party faces sometimes. As a good distraction Foxnews bring back Benghazi again. Msnbc seems to be covering more the way the republican party can solve their internal problems they face than their own bias media network.

It just fascinates me how Foxnews operates going back to Benghazi when there is bigger current problems to worry about like the fiscal cliff and their own political party.

When Foxnews commentators talks about how to fix their problem on the changing demographics they try to debate on how to make better immigration policies and how to appeal to foreign college students. I don't think their problem can be solved with policies that better relate to new immigrants in america since the reality is the people they actully need to recruit have always been american citizens. And i have yet to hear anyone in conservative media even suggesting any type of reform to their core beliefs other than moving farther to the right. lol

It's more comical than sad how polarized the conservative movement still currently is. But hey it's ok with me if they don't wish to really take a hard look why their party needs reform. I am more liberal than conservative and the way things look if the fiscal cliff doesn't get solved soon the Bush tax cuts expire and the republicans in the house will probably fall down on their knees and the next election cycle the house will be taken back in control by the democrats.

edit:

Classic example of conservative denial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk&feature=player_embedded

9TwuR0jCavk

"As anyone watching the election coverage on Fox News when they called Ohio for Barack Obama knows, the Republican contributor pretty much made a fool of himself by not only outright denying that it was true, but sending anchor Megyn Kelly to interrogate the WORKING election analysts on their accuracy!"

"And frankly, just sad to see that while so many are coming to embrace progress and change, there are still folks considered POLITICAL EXPERTS in positions like this who are so desperate to cling to their outdated ideologies and belief systems that they are capable of outright rejection of reality!"

Edited by colourwheel

@Ghogiel- LOL at the 8 million and one. And I wholly agree about the fundamentalist bent the party has taken in the last few years and how that has alienated even some dedicated Republicans.

@colourwheel - didn't watch Faux News on election night - I have a really nice and expensive TV and I was afraid I'd throw something through it at Fox. That was definitely a man in denial though.

As for the Rush Limbaugh video. Wow, just wow. First, its pretty scary having a similar thought as that man but, on the other hand, if he can see it, maybe someone else in the party will see it too.

John Boehner is already starting obstruction in congress. He gave a speech about working together with the president yet today he came out saying he will not budge on taxes being raised for the rich... he basically went on repeating about almost the same idea Romney ran on.... He is in no position to try to even put in place the same idea of closing loopholes and reducing taxes.

Congress dug the hole for the fiscal cliff. If they don't do what the american people voted for instead of trying to uphold the billionaires interests that wasted their money to begin with on trying to buy this years election for the republican party, The people will get mad.

John Boehner has no position to even think about obstructing the countries progress anymore. If he fears for his life by the billionaires pressuring him he should go into hiding instead of worring about a few billonaires coming after him if he doesn't do what they want. Because a few outraged billonaires is nothing compaired to the whole country outraged...

John Boehner better work with Obama's agenda, the majority of america voted for it. I wouldn't be suprised if congress tries to delay the whole thing. People then might actaully come after John Boehner at his home and knock down his doors in rage. The republicans will be completely wiped out of congress next election cycle for failing to accomplish anything for the next two years.

Edited by colourwheel