Changing the colours on spell effects

zombiecurse

Congratulations, very good job! You are amazing, and you inspired me. I downloaded the nifskope, and I'm having a big difficulty on changing a spell's color. I managed to change the gradient color of the dds files in PS6, but I can't open the nif files, only with nifskope, and it's hard to understand it, all I see are some green lines with dots.

• 3 months later...

Congratulations, very good job! You are amazing, and you inspired me. I downloaded the nifskope, and I'm having a big difficulty on changing a spell's color. I managed to change the gradient color of the dds files in PS6, but I can't open the nif files, only with nifskope, and it's hard to understand it, all I see are some green lines with dots. 

• 3 months later...
Just need to find out where the shader for the little flames produced at the end of the effect is now.

For anyone else struggling with this who is just as aggravated that they never mention the solution and that every other topic on the subject seems to refer back to this thread as I was for the past three hours:

In the nif I was working on, a renamed version of the projectile for the sprigan swarm spray spell I was recoloring, I was getting a green mist/splash effect that I didn't want just like the little flames he menions. I eventualy figured out that there was a NiNode named Mover03 with a BSValue node named AddOnNode77 attached. When I deleted it, the green mist effect went away. Then I noticed that In the creation kit there is a section under special effects called AddOnNode, and an MPSDrainGreenImpact that has an index number of 77. That's where the splash effect was coming from.

It appears that in some effect nifs there are NiNodes that have a BSValue node attached. The name of the BSValue nodes are always AddOnNode and a number (such as that AddOnNode77). These refer to addonnode effects in the creation kit. Each add on node has an index number- that's the number in the BSValue node's name in nifscope.

To get rid of that extra effect, you'll need to delete the BSValue node that references it from the nif (I just deleted the entire branch, parent node and all). You could also change the name of the AddOnNode to point to a more appropriate effect.

Of course, there's the option to recolor the addonnode's nif. Keep in mind, though, that you'd be changing the color of every instance of that addonnode effect. I'm not sure if you could make a whole new one. There are exactly 100 in the creation kit, which suggests to me that there may be a limit on how high the index number can go. I'd experiment, but I've been pulling my hair out over this longer than I wanted to as it is lol

Edited by khulse

• 1 month later...

Of course, there's the option to recolor the addonnode's nif. Keep in mind, though, that you'd be changing the color of every instance of that addonnode effect. I'm not sure if you could make a whole new one. There are exactly 100 in the creation kit, which suggests to me that there may be a limit on how high the index number can go. I'd experiment, but I've been pulling my hair out over this longer than I wanted to as it is lol

You can add more than the original 100, they probably got sick of the extra work and just put the effects directly into new nifs after 100 of them.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been looking for video tutorials on how to edit spells color but I have found none so far. If you got a link to a video or a guide that explain how to do this very detailed and step by step, I'll be grateful. I'm a complete noob. I don't understand most of the stuff people are saying here, nor I know where the nif files or textures for spells are located. But if there is a tutorial well explained on how to do this, then even a noob like myself could make it.