Dawn of a new age

Brutii

Baltis Llervu, Chorrol

Llervu and his thrall approached the main gate of the city which was flanked by two swordsmen. Their apparel was in about as good of shape as his thrall but their swords were slightly better maintained. They appeared to at least be old enough to fight. Llervu commanded his thrall to stumble and amble towards them, the blood flowing more profusely from his body as he did so.

"H-Help me!" The thrall gurgled and collapsed near the two guards who rushed to help him. One guard stood slightly in front of the thrall, between him and Baltis. He was crouched down near the thrall and glared angrily and Llervu.

"How dare you! You'll pay for thi-" His vow was cut short as the thrall brought his mace crashing down with meteoric force on the guard's skull, killing him instantly. The other guard lunged backwards and readied his sword. The thrall circled him carefully.

The thrall feinted hard to one side which caused the guard to jerk backwards again, exposing his chest. This opportunity was not missed as a six foot long spear of ice tore through the air from Baltis's hand and plunged through the guard's chest. Llervu approached the corpse and melted the ethereal ice while examining the walltop. No guards. Likely their numbers were too few to afford it. This city was truly in a pitiful state. Llervu opted to resurrect the skewered guard but left the beheaded one. Now he healed his two thralls so they would be less conspicuous and vulnerable.

The trio entered the gates and made for the castle. At the main gate they were met with an obstruction. This guardsman was quite different. His armor had some rusty spots but the rest of it gleamed like freshly minted drakes. He had obviously inherited the armor or received it from the castle armory as he took great care of it now. His sword, though scratched and nicked, was quite sharp. His surcoat had patches in it where other guards let holes remain and his battered shield had been painted over where there were scuffs and kept in good condition. This guardsman cared about his post and his equipment.

"Halt. What is your business in the castle." The guard asked.

"I seek your count. What is your name guardsman?" Llervu replied.

"Brectus, sir. What business do you have with the count?"

"Brectus? No surname? Odd for an Imperial." Baltis deflected the inquiry.

"Surnames are unimportant, duties and honor are important and that is what I choose to emphasize. What business do you have with the count?"

Llervu was impressed, and pleased. This man actually had a passion for his position, good. "I seek your count so that I may dethrone him Brectus. Your city is in shambles. Most of your army is barely fit to hold a sword, much less maintain it or the peace of this land. Your food stores are low. Poverty is high. Your count is in a spiraling depression and has no desire to turn your city around. I remember a day when Chorrol was vibrant and alive and one of the wealthiest cities in the Empire. You have the resources you simply lack the leadership and I aim to rectify that."

The guard seemed surprised but did not disagree as Llervu went on. "My duty is to my city and my count. I cannot allow you to bring harm to him." He replied but he did not entirely convince Baltis.

"Ah, but you mention your city first. That is where your duty lies and your loyalty. Stand aside and let me take control of Chorrol. Then your city shall begin to know what it is to prosper again. Her citizens will fear me at first as all fear conquerors at first. But they will come to respect and appreciate me as I return to you the commerce, stability and security that you all once knew." Llervu put much passion in this proposition, he believed it. He wanted Chorrol to rise from the ashes and become a beacon in Cyrodiil. His beacon. It would give him influence and power and at last something to truly devote himself to other than his studies.

After a long conversation the guard relented, "Follow me." He said.

"Follow you?" Llervu said, slightly confused.

"Someone must show you to the count and perhaps he will not be as resistant if a citizen accompanied this ultimatum."

"Very well Brectus. Lead the way."

The two traversed the castle and came to the count's personal quarters. He was seated in a chair, by a window, drinking a bottle of cheap wine.

"My count, this is Baltis Llervu. He comes seeking your throne." Brectus began. "And I support his bid sir."

The count turned slightly, pale with grief over this latest tragedy, his own guard turning against him. His eyes were heavy with drink and sorrow. "What has become of me? What have I done to deserve this?" The count bemoaned.

Llervu stepped forward, directly in front of the count, "Simple my good count: nothing. Your city is in disrepair. Your army ill-equipped and ill-trained. But that is about to change. You are overwhelmed. It is too much for you. Go about your life but leave this city to me. I shall rescue it." Baltis's eyes held a chilling look, as if to say 'or else.'

"But where shall I go?" The count asked sadly.

"Leave this city. Go forth to Bruma, Cheydinhall or Skingrad. Start anew. There is nothing left for you here..."

That evening at sun down the count left the gates of Chorrol, relinquishing his crown to Llervu...

He was never seen again. It is surmised that he was killed by bandits or creatures in the woods.

Baltis addressed his people at the great oak of Chorrol, "Citizens of Chorrol! Look around you! You live in squalor! Barely eaking out a living from your small farms! Your guards can barely defend themselves and use old and worn equipment. I shall change all of this! I am old and learned and I have great power. Under me you shall learn to defend yourselves and prosper. I am your new count. My first decree is that all mages shall report to the castle this evening. The dead shall also no longer be embalmed or preserved in any manner. Nor shall they be buried. Instead they shall lie in the catacombs of the church. All those that have been dead for five years or longer shall be re-purposed for the use of the city." Baltis allowed the murmuring in the crowd to die down and finish. "You are struggling to survive! Sacrifices must be made! But soon my people. You shall prosper again! Soon the rich mines and soil of this county shall pour into our coffers and trade shall recommence as a new army is trained and raised to defend us! Tamriel shall once more know Chorrol an will seek out our trade and good will. We shall rise again!" Llervu waited as the talk increased, his people were excited and curious about this strange new ruler that had, more or less, thrust himself upon them. "Now my good people, I bid you, return to your homes. Sleep. And in the morning, a new day shall dawn for Chorrol!" Llervu finished and made to the castle.

Llervu waited in the great hall of the castle as about a dozen mages trickled in. He sent several guards to comb the city for anyone else who had magical proficiency. A few more came but the first dozen were the most competent. And so Baltis began to rebuild...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neh'Taniel was getting bored. He wanted to talk to someone, but everyone in this castle seemed too scared to talk to him. He wondered if the Court Wizard would appreciate some of his rarer tomes, although not the ones with the ritual to become a Lich in it of course. He pointed to a guard, who swallowed nervously.

"You! Mortal guard! Hear my questions and answer them! There is someone in this castle who functions as a court mage, is there not?" The guard nervously nods, and says,

"Y-y-y-yes M-mister Lich sir! T-there is a D-dunmer that serves as Court Mage." Neh'Taniel points.

"Then Bring her, boy! Bring her to me and you'll get a Gold Diamond Ring." The man started to run off, but Neh'Taniel called after him,

"Bring her in less then ten minutes, and I'll throw in a matching Necklace!" Chuckling to himself, Neh'Taniel occupied his attentions with examining a tapestry.

(OOC Someone play the Court mage, please. I don't want to have a post of me talking to myself)

VvulViingKonahrik looked at the sky. The Joorre had not accepted his deadline. Indeed, there had been no action at all. The dragon did not want it to come to destruction. But he would send a clear message. "Selene. The Joorre force in chorrol is disorganised, is it not? Do you think it would be easy prey?"

One of Selenes scouts came in and bowed before her "Chorrol has fallen. It is under control of a lich with his own agenda. He will be a threat. A dragon has been sighted in the north, and has demanded large chunks of land from the people. Wolf tracks were sighted near bravil. Large wolf tracks. Some fear were wolves, My lady."

"She knows of the dragon" VulViingKonahrik said, the scout jumped to his feet and drew his blade, backing away slowly, the dragon made a grunt and looked to Selene "Make him stand down, or I will eat him..."

Edited by Brutii

Selene turned her head, and looked at the scout, his fear amused her greatly, as his eyes flitted from Selene the the dragon, unsure to who he was afraid of most "Now put the sword down dear... or i'll make you." She said, taking a few steps towards the scout, her fangs glinting.

The man sheathed his weapon "Sorry, my lady..."

Selene smiled, her face returning from a frightening visage of fangs, to it's normal self "So there is trouble afoot? Werewolves you say? Not too big a threat... the lich complicates plans for Chorrol..." Selene said, thinking for a moment. "You have done well, now go and relax, drinks are on me." She said, dismissing him with a smile, she turned to the Dragon "I think my scout answered your question."

Selene smiled, her face returning from a frightening visage of fangs, to it's normal self "So there is trouble afoot? Werewolves you say? Not too big a threat... the lich complicates plans for Chorrol..." Selene said, thinking for a moment. "You have done well, now go and relax, drinks are on me." She said, dismissing him with a smile, she turned to the Dragon "I think my scout answered your question."

The scout left the room "I'll cremate that Dilon-Joor then." The dragon said "Arrogant mortal thinks he can keep my empire for me. He will surrender or be destroyed

"What do i intend to do? Why build my army... and take this place in a river of blood... the rest of the rulers think i am mad with visions of grandeur, they believe me a fool... but i shall prove to them just how painful my resolve is." Selene remarked, smiling slightly as she did so, the corners of her mouth turning up. Edited by mythicdawnmaster