Dawn of a new age

Brutii

"What do i intend to do? Why build my army... and take this place in a river of blood... the rest of the rulers think i am mad with visions of grandeur, they believe me a fool... but i shall prove to them just how painful my resolve is." Selene remarked, smiling slightly as she did so, the corners of her mouth turning up.

The dragon looked at her, he wondered whether she would allow him his lands, or whether he would have to kill her as well "Well, I would rather not be blamed for another bloodbath, I will do what is nessercary for me to conquer, but I will do no more or less. The power of the Dovah cannot be denied, for even death yields to us, and the dead rise to serve again." The dragon said, pride was obvious in his voice, and prehapes over confidence

Edited by Brutii

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The dragonborn certainly didn't see the power of the dragons as he slew countless numbers of them, as he destroyed alduin... death most certainly embraced Alduin with open arms, and the souls of your kin used to power the dragonborn. You must lower your confidence a little, do not underestimate these mortals, they wiped out nearly all of your kind once before, and together they could destroy you... we must be careful VulViingKonahrik." Selene said, history proving that the over confidence of the dragons had lead to there demise before.

"The dragonborn certainly didn't see the power of the dragons as he slew countless numbers of them, as he destroyed alduin... death most certainly embraced Alduin with open arms, and the souls of your kin used to power the dragonborn. You must lower your confidence a little, do not underestimate these mortals, they wiped out nearly all of your kind once before, and together they could destroy you... we must be careful VulViingKonahrik." Selene said, history proving that the over confidence of the dragons had lead to there demise before.

"Dovahkiin is Dovah! Only the Dovahkiin could save mortals because he was Dovah! Foolish mortals think that dovahkiin is them, that is wrong." The dragon said, his voice turned from anger at the mortals for their mistakes to a respectful tone when talking about the dovahkiin in person "Dovahkiin succeded because the Aedra willed it. His voice was strong and pure. He was a true Dovah, it is terrible that he was born inside a mortal shell. But now the dovahkiin resides in Aetherius, where all Aedra lie. Alduin attempted to complete his task before his time, he knew the costs, and now he suffers for it, bound to waiting in Aetherius until he is allowed to destroy the world. The dragon born absorbed the souls of his kin, he did what all dragons do. Nothing more, nothing less. Dov saw their own power and not even we could comprehend it."

Edited by Brutii

Baltis Llervu, Castle Chorrol

ooc>in light of the fact that the scouts that were sent out days ago just now returned, this is all going to be set say... three days ago.

Llervu addressed his assembled mages, "You no doubt wonder why I have summoned you here." Baltis released his illusions and revealed his true form, the mages seemed shocked and some very edgy. "Have no fear. I value your talents, not covet them or your lives. I seek to know the depths of each of your stores of knowledge. Wit this I may better know how to train you, and then the other citizens." Slowly, one by one, the mages demonstrated their grasp of the arcane arts. Of the 17 that assembled four were skilled in destruction, expert, two adepts and one journeyman; five were priests and skilled in restoration, three adepts and two journeymen; there was one expert in illusion, a retired assassin who had used his craft for decades, he was the oldest; two others were mystics, both journeymen; the five left were fortunately skilled in conjuration, one adept, two journeymen and two novices. Many of the mages were skilled in multiple schools but only just. Baltis made his assessments of the situation near midnight.

"You shall return to your homes this evening. It is late and you need your rest. Tomorrow at dawn you shall report to the keep once more, bringing with you all of the magical tomes and treatises you possess. These books should be on anything from the nature of magic to catalogs of beasts and alchemical ingredients to rituals and spells. All conjurers and those wishing to pursue conjuration or necromancy shall remain in the keep with me throughout the day where we will begin your tutelage. The rest of you will use your tomes and knowledge to begin teaching the rest of the community and each other basic spells. Every man woman and child must know how to heal themselves of minor wounds, do the same for others, light their way, muffle their footsteps, raise wards and summon ethereal flames, sparks or frost to defend themselves. This shall take some time, focus on the individuals with the most aptitude and interest first, then the young and able to fight. Everyone shall learn these skills but we must prioritize for the sake of defense. All children with a particular aptitude for spellcraft and an interest in conjuring should be directed to the castle for tutelage. Now I bid you all good night!" Llervu dismissed his mages, tired and weary.

That night Llervu searched the castle for any and all magical tomes and gathered all of his that he carried with him. He needed to have the town prepared. He also found the best armor and weapons he could find in the castle. He found any fancy ornamental pieces of silver, steel or iron and had them set aside. The city needed an army, not gaudy ornaments. He would gather his guardsmen and have them tested tomorrow when his students were dining or recharging their magicka reserves. Llervu also made his way down to the castle catacombs where about two dozen nobles were buried from over the eons. He examined the names, none of them struck a cord, they would all be fine candidates for practice tomorrow, no need to give one sentience if they were good for nothing in life as it was.

In the morning the town was assembled at the great oak and Llervu, now disguised again, addressed the city of a few hundred people, (not unreasonable, it is a city after all and we can assume the other cities have that many people too) "Citizens! Today marks the beginning of a new era for Chorrol! Before we can seize this era we must prepare ourselves. Each of you shall learn the basics of magic over the course of the next few days. It is not easy but it is vital! Soon you shall also know how to fight and protect yourself from mundane threats and this cit will no longer be defenseless. When that day comes we will venture outside our walls and use our resources without fear of over-extension. I shall fashion us an army whose number shall be legion and that shall not only defend us but also serve us!" The citizens were gradually warming to Llervu, he did know how to organize them which was a step in the right direction but they were far from trusting of him. He would not reveal his true nature to the entire populace for a few more days, the needed to see that he could get results, then they would not be so adverse to a lich leading them.

That day Llervu tutored his five conjurers in their chosen field. They studied the binding of weapons and lesser daedra for brief periods of time, exercising the fundamentals of conjuration. Llervu also recognized the value of theory. He did not simply tell them to cast spells, he explained the meaning of each incantation, what each word meant, how ever ebb of energy was used and what its goal was. As a result the students grew far more rapidly than under traditional methods. One of them had managed to bind a suit of armor -excepting the helm- for a brief time. They grew more talented as the hours passed and because of Baltis's enthusiasm they also grew more interested and earnest in their studies. Llervu knew that he had not only created five powerful mages on this day but also five powerful allies. They were nothing compared to him or one of the Imperial battlemages of old but they could certainly hold their own now. Soon they would be summoning more than just scamps and lesser weapons. He could show them how to permanently bind armors and weapons to themselves with a great enough catalyst and have them summoning hordes of clannfear and daedroths. This must all come before the depth of necromancy. A young mage who delves into necromancy too early doesn't appreciate the discipline of the craft or its true powers. One needed to have the focus and attention to command an army of lesser daedra in order to control their thralls effectively. Young necromancers often were overwhelmed with the power they held and over-extended themselves, summoning too many and loosing control or believing themselves invincible purely because of numbers. One well controlled and prepared thrall could slaughter hundreds of shakily tethered ones. All in good time.

Neh'Taniel was growing bored and increasingly irritated. This Castle Mage was clearly not going to make an appearance, so he decided to leave this town. (btw, where the hell is he)

It had been a hot day, so Saerileth decided to go for a swim. She found a lake that seemed clear of slaughterfish, quickly stripped, and jumped into the lake. While she was swimming and enjoying herself, a bandit decided to sneak up, and hide her clothes. Saerileth swam back to the shore, and unabashedly got out of the water, discovered her clothes missing, but found her sword which had been moved. She crouched down and picked up the blade, and started looking around. Shortly afterwards, she heard a rustling in the bushes, and dragged the bandit out. She smiled at him, kissed him on the forehead, and then beheaded him. She found her clothes and her pack near where the man had been hiding, dressed, and searched his body for any coins, discovering a small coin purse. She continued on down the road, and gave the coin purse to a little orphan girl selling flowers. She noticed something odd about a nearby log, and sighed, retrieving her dead drop orders. She was ordered to kill a breton, and to be stealthy. Saerileth scowled, she hated stealth missions. She sighed, adding it to her "To Do" list in her journal, and continued onwards, enjoying the day.

Rilgomm had his decision as soon as the dragon brought up its terms, but it flew away before he voiced it.

"We're not surrendering to the dragon. I'll not allow every person in the city to be enslaved to serve that thing's every whim. Prepare the defenses and the water buckets. I'll be patrolling the outer farms myself." Rilgomm said to the captain of the Guard. When he was prepared and wearing his armor, he joined a patrol of guards on the outskirts of the city limits. He was prepared to fight just about anything.

It didn't take long for something to happen. Screaming came from one of the farmhouses they passed about five minutes ago, along with savage growling and a half-howl. His men screamed aloud with horror at the sight. Three werewolves stood over the mangled body of an older woman, whose blood covered their claws and their faces. Rilgomm's eyes widened, in all his years as a warrior, he'd never seen something like this. Even dragons were still somewhat common in Skyrim when he left.

One of the werewolves was extremely aggressive and pounced right on Rilgomm, swiping viciously at him with sharp claws. He desperately struggled to block the blows, and when the werewolf lunged forward to bite into his neck, he just barely managed to raise his axe and bring it down into the beast's head, killing it instantly. His men were having similar trouble with the others. He managed to bring one down with aa lightning-fast series of blows from his axe, and turned to engage the others.

Baltis Llervu, Chorrol- One Day Ago

The citizens of Chorrol had progressed greatly over the last two days of training. All of the children and adolescents had learned the basic spells, many wanted to pursue more advanced tutelage in magic and were helping to teach the adults. Only the very old or unlucky had been unable to learn at least some of the spells. Three of the children expressed interest in conjuration and had joined the other conjurers at the castle learning from Llervu, they would become his first necromancers. The trio were all young, talented and potent. There was a set of twins, a boy and a girl, age 12 that wee quite apt but had a somewhat nauseating habit of finishing one another's sentences. The third girl was 17, she was nearing adulthood but had a brilliant mind and limitless potential with magics. She also had a certain ruthlessness about her that Llervu appreciated, she was someone that would do whatever it took to accomplish her goals.

The previous day, Baltis had drilled his guard. He found the ones most adept at sword play and in the use of different armors and had them train the rest. He established a hierarchy based on experience, skill and a series of competitions between groups of guardsmen. His aim was to see who the best leaders were, who the best followers were and who was the most inventive. As it so happened the guard that had agreed to lead him to the count was far and away the most competent of all of the guards in all aspects save perhaps lateral thinking from time to time but he was an excellent leader and strategist. His rank of captain of the guard was well earned. Soon when there was an army he would be general as well.

Chorrol was getting in shape. Citizens were all competent in using at least some magic and soldiers began training them with weapons as well. No one would be helpless and could at least put up a fight in an emergency. That was good. Things were going well and it was time to expand, to press on and to finally start in earnest. He summoned the town that night in front of the chapel.

"Citizens! We have grown! We have learned new skills and become better equipped for this world. Now we must take another step forward. We must not only survive in this world but we must thrive in it! Behold!" Baltis raised his arms and the church doors creaked open, the 8 necromancers descended into the undercroft. "The dead shall rise once more and shall help bring us to prosperity!" As Llervu spoke his apprentices set about their work and he began raising many of the dead in the mortuary himself. They were all long dead, skeletal remains, no one could recognize them and that was how Llervu wanted it. Slowly two score of skeletons marched out of the chapel and stood in ranks before the citizens of Chorrol. "Citizens of Chorrol! We are now Legion! We shall form a new order, Nox Orcus! Our fallen comrades shall live beyond death. We shall use this powerful magic to defend ourselves and profit ourselves. I have seen to it that there are plenty of picks, shovels, tools and supplies for these undead. They shall mine stone to repair and rebuild our walls while we mages fortify them by other means. When our defense is certain we will begin farming outside our walls once more and acquiring mineral wealth!" Many of the townsfolk were shocked and disturbed by the undead, some cried out but Llervu quickly silenced them, "If we wish to better ourselves we must do whatever is necessary to get ahead. Other cities have well developed infrastructures and armies now. We do not have the time to let the living fill these posts, in time they shall but for now it must be accomplished by the undead. We will not squander our advantage but we will use it!" This calmed some of the townsfolk considerably but not entirely.

The course of the next day or so was spent further training the citizens. The walls were being quite quickly fortified and repaired as the skeletal servants went about their work night and day. The mages added wards and summoned additional aspects of defense such as nodes that cast spells at unwelcome guests as well as immense spines and other-worldly impediments for invaders. Nox Orcus was rising to be sure. The horde of undead was ever increasing as Llervu schooled his apprentices in more complex forms of necromancy and better organizational techniques. He alternately allowed them to control their own thralls and took them under his own wing. By mid-day there were over a hundred skeletons working in and around Chorrol.

ooc> Llervu and Chorrol are now "up to speed" with everybody else.

Neh'Taniel left Cheydinhall and made his way to his tomb for now. He forgot how irritating it was to be around Mortals. Too static and concerned with trivial, fleeting matters.

Saerileth looked up the road, and saw the town she spent as little time in as possible.. Cheydinhall. She made her way through the gate, seeing Rilgomm was back in town she made a detour, looping around behind the houses before climbing through the secret Well entrance to the Cheydinhall Sanctuary. She was greeted by Alice, the blonde attractive Nord woman who was the chapter's head. Saerileth went to her bedroom, which had last been used by a vampire several hundred years ago, and took a nap.

The final werewolf had already killed one of Rilgomm's men and now turned onto another, who raised his shield defensively and blocked a series of vicious blows. Rilgomm was puzzled, werewolves were smart enough to attack a different area......or maybe this one was new. Rilgomm's men and himself rushed it, hacking and slashing at it with their weapons, and within seconds the beast was dead.

"Is anyone injured?" He asked authoritively. One person had a decent-sized cut across his chest, but was otherwise fine. Rilgomm had two people carry the felled guardsman back to the town for burial, before he saw a figure heading for the city. He sighed, exasperated. Was that Saerileth again? Yes. The fool girl was out in the woods whie werewolves were about.

"Saerileth! Foolish girl! There are werewolves about! Get inside the walls!" He yelled to her from a distance.

Synnove followed Rilgolmm as her returned inside the city's walls, thinking over the dragon's words... they couldn't be accepted, sure it would end the chaos, but the humanoid races of nirn had to do it, not a power hungry dragon. The Aedra stood next to Rilgomm as he called for Saerileth to get inside, glancing at the girl, but then whispered to her lord "I shall have a look at the silver weapons... see if i can do anything with them." And she turned, walking back to the castle, heading for the blacksmith.

Once there she looked over the small stock of silver they had... it would never do, there simply wasn't enough of it to go around. But then she had an idea... weapons of pure silver were mostly for show, having a whole blade made of the metal was just a sign of nobility, of having the wealth to afford it... the weapons could be melted down, and smithed into the edges and tipped onto the blades of the weapons currently in the forge, be them steel or iron, there would be enough silver to edge the blades of at least the guard in the city, and more veins of silver would simply have to be found.

---------------------

Selene gazed at the dragon and said "I must tend to my equipment, if it is a war we must rage, i will need protection... i will need to outfit my men further. Feel free to stay perched, the castle is sturdy." Selene then turned from the dragon with a respectful nod, and continued back to the war room.