Screenshot Share

SerecenHwke

I am very surprised that anyone would be bothered by Image stories, they showcase the mods we all download and a lot of the time these story show us some of the great new armors, new followers, quests, warpaints on nexus! they show us great showcases of the new ENB's . To be honest how can you show case a ENB in one picture and truly show those who will download it how it looks in others games not just the modder who made it. It seems it will make it so instead of looking at 15 pages of screens, you will need to look at so many more and it will become the screens people spent so much time setting up is off the front page and is on page 5 in 10 minutes. For me the image stories are a way to see how other play their game and give me idea's of what I might want to dl and try out next or maybe a quest I have missed and think oh that looks fun and want to go and play and do that quest. I think it would be sad to see that part of nexus be gone!!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'bandwidth' issue Robin was most likely refering to actually 'is' about the poster, or better yet, the Nexus servers. It was about image descriptions literally flooded with images 'also hosted on the Nexus'.

You open 1 page and there are a gazillion simultaneous requests to the image server. Make that only a measely 1.000 people do frequently and the server (or gateway) will quickly run into the limit of open connections.

*bang* Empty images with an error sign in the best case... a server overloaded and going offline for an indefinite amount of time in the worst. Servers don't automatically reboot when a process or service hangs up, you know. It needs human intervention every time this happens. And given the last complaints about the reaction time of the staff in similar service-downtimes, I won't expect any better from the user base when the image servers keep dieing all of a sudden.

Image urls refering to off-site hosts, however, are indeed only a matter for the viewer. Your latest image, @aok, took me whole 5 minutes for the page to load, and that's with 16k DSL here. If I hadn't a FireFox but one of those browsers waiting for the page to finish loading first before even thinking of displaying anything, I would've been staring at a blank page all the time. Gladly I have though, and as such I could actually even instruct it to not load images from photobucket for the page I'm currently viewing, and it'd load increasingly fluidly and I could view the main image without trouble almost immediately... if I were so inclined... or is it impatient?

It matters not even a little to me, but I for one would just make the internal linkage to on-site hosted images in descriptions disfunctional the way you had in mind. There's no real reason to do this for off-site sources as well.

...bonus advantage: aok's and other's image descriptions would also remain working the way they are now... whether it even matters or not... tl;dr: It'll upset the least people this way 'and' serve your goals.

...it will not help with the destroyed layout though... aok's images were already cut on the right side by the page border... but luckily only a couple hundred pixel wide.

The 'bandwidth' issue Robin was most likely refering to actually 'is' about the poster, or better yet, the Nexus servers. It was about image descriptions literally flooded with images 'also hosted on the Nexus'.

You open 1 page and there are a gazillion simultaneous requests to the image server. Make that only a measely 1.000 people do frequently and the server (or gateway) will quickly run into the limit of open connections.

*bang* Empty images with an error sign in the best case... a server overloaded and going offline for an indefinite amount of time in the worst. Servers don't automatically reboot when a process or service hangs up, you know. It needs human intervention every time this happens. And given the last complaints about the reaction time of the staff in similar service-downtimes, I won't expect any better from the user base when the image servers keep dieing all of a sudden.

Ok, I admit I hadn't even considered that as a possibility after someone recounted that it was a problem when they ran across a description wtith fifty embedded images; I assumed with that many that they would have been hosted elsewhere and figured that was a given in further discussion. If external links are exempted nothing would change for me. Again, I don't leave the NV side of the Nexus, but a vast majority of multiple image posters link to flickr or photobucket and upload 2-3 actual images to the Nexus to host each day.

If it were to become a bunch of links people had to hit it would absolutely ruin what I and other story creators like myself are doing. The fluidity of the story would be lost and there would really be no point.

Could it be something preserved as it is now for Premium (paid) members?

It takes me about a week to produce a story of about 10 images, and I don't put half the effort into it as some others do.

I hope you can understand my frustration at the possibility of losing this.

50 images may be far too many, limit the number if you have to, but I love reading and writing stories on the Nexus.

I and many others have spent many many hours compiling and fine tuning our tales.

A lot of these shots are laced with a few pictures, weaving a short page of a tale, the flow of it has become an art-form to some of us.

It would be a cruel shame to loose all that hard work.

To tell these stories the way we do is the main reason some of us (me) play these games.

I became a premium member to the ModsNexus and now it seems you are considering to remove the one major thing I use it for.

I find this more then a little distressing.

50 images may be far too many, limit the number if you have to, but I love reading and writing stories on the Nexus.

I and many others have spent many many hours compiling and fine tuning our tales.

A lot of these shots are laced with a few pictures, weaving a short page of a tale, the flow of it has become an art-form to some of us.

It would be a cruel shame to loose all that hard work.

To tell these stories the way we do is the main reason some of us (me) play these games.

I became a premium member to the ModsNexus and now it seems you are considering to remove the one major thing I use it for.

I find this more then a little distressing.

My feelings exactly.

As a lifetime paid member here who has spent hours upon hours creating comic style stories I very upset at the proposed elimination of this feature.

Rather then removing this "culture" that exists and has been somewhat ignored here. Why not embrace it?

Myself and many others here have developed truly amazing works. Many people here enjoy it.

I personally would be willing to pay for the privilege of the extra bandwidth rather then see mine and other laborious works here destroyed. (If that is the only way to keep it)

having to click links would ruin the whole effect of it.

Please do not destroy the wonderful thing we have here.

I agree with this 100%. I have paid my dues and planned to KEEP ON PAYING to use this website to upload my images and short stories that accompany these images. I bring attention to Nexus mods, promote mod authors and their wonderful work and all I ask in return is to upload a few silly stories to go with my images.

If this is halted as per proposed plan I will be deeply saddened and disapointed with the Nexus. If the problem if with the minortiy - deal with them. Don't penalize the rest of us who use this system with respect and PAY to do so.

As someone else said, why not look into a way to allow paying clientele to use storyboard image threads or tweak the system somehow to limit the amount of uploads. Don't just take it away from us.

And if you want to see storyboarding done well and not 'garish' check some of these profiles for proof this can be a boon to the Nexus: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/1956480'>Nataly1q2w3e4r5t, http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/5214851'>MsFrankenstein, http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/3389970'>Wolfgrimdark, http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/2827811'>Zeroxee. Oh and of course http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/354638'>aok to name just a few!!

Further, I and many other screen archers / writers who storyboard only tend to upload 3 images per week to image share (albeit with each image thread containing img code with multiply images). If you cease img code from being allowed to be used, what's to stop me from uploading my full 10 images per week thus further slowing the system down?

I agree with Benbenben, aok and jessb81 on 100 percent. There are many people here, who pay their dues and love to post galleries, and if this would be take from them... I think they could just move to another site and who needs it? It is in your interest to preserve such ability, or you may loose the people who sponsor the site, the modmakers who promote it. It is very illogical thing to do from my opinion. If you want some order, at least post some limitation, like no more then ten uploaded shots... But to remove such ability entirely because some of minority abuse it...

I agree with Benbenben, aok and jessb81 on 100 percent. There are many people here, who pay their dues and love to post galleries, and if this would be take from them... I think they could just move to another site and who needs it? It is in your interest to preserve such ability, or you may loose the people who sponsor the site, the modmakers who promote it. It is very illogical thing to do from my opinion. If you want some order, at least post some limitation, like no more then ten uploaded shots... But to remove such ability entirely because some of minority abuse it...

Exactly so! People will just leave the site's Image Share section for another resources. I do realize - 50 images are too much, and limitation of quantity is good idea, will be some compromise? The links in description would be the great problem for users with low connection. And the sets of story's authors won't be appreciated and read as they should.