Screenshot Share

SerecenHwke

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be another step to mainstream.
Doing mod show cases offers a lot of "not so well known" modders the possibility of getting the attention their work deserves.
And just one image isn't enough to create a proper mod showcase.
I think that well done image collages convince casual players to try out mods or doing something on their own.(like "hey, I want this in my game", "hey, I want to do this also")
I would feel the need of well done image series, collages or just scenes someone want you to be part of. Just one image cannot communicate an idea.
I'm sorry for my crappy English.

Wow... this is bad. I'm still quite new to the image sharing scene but I do love to share images and stories from my game every now and then. If this feature is taken down, it would be quite upsetting to me and many other nexus users who love to share and appreciate images.

Taking images for a single showcase, maybe with 5 or 6 images can take a common screen archer over 2+ hours not to mention the usage of tedious console commands, searching for locations and good lighting environments. It's a - "labor of love" of some sorts :blush:

Also worth mentioning is the diverse nexus community, from the US to freaking Timbuktu, everyone who has ever hovered their cursor over to the 'images' section, anyone who has ever been mesmerized by a single showcase, or even those who look for new ways to mod their game shall be at a loss. A substantial loss. :unsure:

I honestly don't know how bad image-sharing and story-telling with pictures might be for the nexus servers, and I don't like the idea that it has to be removed.

That being said, and as a newbie/wannabe "writer", I just wish to leave my appeal that you don't remove this feature. At least not completely. Though I completely understand that it might be costly, and if it is indeed that much of a burden then all we can do is hold our tongues and take it. At the end of the day, I don't even have a clue of how hard it might be to manage a community, to take care of the servers and the sites it hosts, to deal with all the issues, and of course, to deal with an upset community.

It is not your fault, and I believe me and everyone else is thankful that the nexus exist. That being said, I do hope you can find an alternative that can make most of us happy.

I shall remain silent now, and I guess take advantage of this tiny feature that makes a big difference for me, while it lasts...

PS. I believe it is important that everyone remembers that nothing is perfect for everyone. I can't argue towards a solution since I don't know any better, so i just hope that the creators of the nexus (the people who really have to work in order to keep things running) don't completely brush us aside like parasites and recognize some value in what we do (no matter how small it might be).

Edited by Ashkari

This ability to have all these images in the description section has been a pretty recent thing. Or at least people using it as such. We had lots of stories and comic before that though I admit that it was harder to do since you had to tell people this is pic one of six and etc. But it was doable.

However I love the image share. I post things there all the time (well not as much as I used to but that's a busy thing) Imageshare is important part of this site and I am glad people are still looking at ideas as I am sure Robin will. But in my opinion if it comes down to the performance of the site vs images in descriptions then I know what I would pick.

This first and foremost is a FILE share site for mods and the Forums a place for the handling, helping, assistance, etc for those mods. No one is talking about taking away the imageshare in total....but if site functionality suffers because of the massive amounts of images posted in descriptions then some limits or changes have to happen. No one is going to see all those images if the site falters all the time.

So the questions are: 1) Can we still have the things you guys find important somehow? 2) Are there alternate solutions other than complete disabling? 3) If not what is a good alternative?

The mini-gallery thing sounds cool, Dark0ne. I understand the story-tellers POV on this 'issue', but really I care more about the site performance than fancy image-share. Don't get me wrong, love love love the image layouts... but I'm thinking ahead and believe whatever trimmings are necessary by the admins will be for the better.

Now, if only we could have 'previous' and 'next' buttons for the image share, so we don't have to back up and find our spot when we just want to wonder through all the recent image uploads.

@Lisnpuppy

I will try to give suggestion(not answers) to your questions:

1) It's not about "somehow important", one of the big problems of modding these days is, that mostly mods get attention which authors had already success with their mods(and it doesn't matter if the new mod is just a better update of the last mod), modding should live from new, fresh ideas, not doing the same on and on(there are a lot of good mods which get "lost" on page 2, page 3 of the latest files tab). The image sharing is a good way to catch someones attention imo. And the best way to get someone's attention is to show every aspect of the mod(so you need more than one image).

2) There must be other solutions. I guess images will be uploaded, and if not 10 with one upload then 10 uploads on and on(yeah, the presentation will suffer). Yes, establishing a connection to an image host is an additional stress for the bandwidth, perhaps it would be a solution to give every user the possibility to create a "private" gallery. Where someone can upload images and group this images to an image upload. So an additional connection won't be needed.

3) I hope there will not have to be an alternative.

Again, I'm sorry for my English.

Again, I'm sorry for my English.

Don't be sorry. Your English is better than most who speak/type it natively !

Indeed. Thank you for your help and ideas. :)

Would there be a way to be able to do something that uses less data? For instance when you initially upload an image as the main image where it has the 1.5 mb limit Apply the same idea in a smaller window below it that has like a total of up to 10 smaller sized images you could upload that don't go over 800x450 pixels and then just add another window below that where we can type in descriptions underneath where bbc coding would be disabled...instead of this thing Imo is complete overkill which is just a straight flat disable that takes away this ability to do stories, multiple images to showcase mods, and enbs, and overall enjoy the imageshare section? I mean it really sucks that because of a few bad apples, the rest of us who have been respectful in the descriptions, who have uploaded pictures no bigger than 800x450 pixels, and tried to be as conservative as possible have to suffer for this. It really disturbs me to see that there is such an inconsideration for the Imageshare section by Staff, but I hope this topic changes that. You don't know how many people could leave the Nexus as the result of what you're proposing from the get go so please consider this compromise.

Edited by DoubleH