Cleaning Master Files -> Breaking Precombines?

Grasmann

Ok, so stupid question: If I clean my master files will that break precombines?

Could there actually be a reason for at least some of the ITM records in bethesdas files for fallout 4?

So, for ages I thought fallout 4 just has really bad performance.

When I started modding and playing it again recently I learned about precombines and how breaking them completely destroy performance.

So I paid a lot of attention to not f*** them up more than necessary.

I went through all the weapon mods I use and deleted all the worldspace edits.

Did this with some other non-weapon mods but obvsiously not with mods that really rely on the worldspace edits.

Or with mods where the worldspace edits are the whole point of the mod.

Then I noticed that loot tells me my master files aren't cleaned.

( There was a fallout 4 update inbetween my modding efforts: 1.10.300 -> 1.10.380 )

So, I didn't pay attention and triggered the update at some point.

No big deal. I updated F4SE and all mods depending on it.

So anyway, when I noticed my master files got replaced by steam I went to clean them.

But with the first one I already noticed it cleaned some stuff in worldspace category.

I have to say so far fallout 4 is running better than ever before with the high attention to worldspace edits.

I have over 450 plugins in my load order and I pretty much only have these annoying crashes that just happen after a while ( for no apparent reason ).

And the game is running at my capped 60 FPS in most areas ( yes even in the dense parts in the middle of the city ).

Before I went crazy with the worldspace edit deleting I went into an interior cell and was greeted by 4 FPS. GREAT!

Then as I said I deleted all the worldspace edits from many many mods, loaded the same savegame and voila: 60 FPS.

Here my question: Could it be that simply cleaning the master files is already breaking precombines?

Because that would mean that the very first thing every experienced player is doing is gimp their performance.

I haven't actually cleaned the master files yet and before I do I thought I'd ask some people that know more about this than I do.

I feel like cleaning the master files has become such a no-brainer with bethesda games that nobody considers it might actually do harm in fallout 4.

EDIT:

I mean in most load orders the master files probably load first and one after another anyway with no other mods inbetween.

So, I don't really get the point of cleaning them to be honest.

Like ... it shouldn't make a difference if nothing else loads between them, right?

Edited by Grasmann

No, cleaning your masters will not break precombines.

Short and to the point, ok.

I guess you're sure about it.

What about the effectivity of it?

If there is nothing loading between the master files is it actually necessary?

Because it is kinda annoying that steam might reset them at some point and you have to redo it.

EDIT:

Mh ok I just found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5xh5b6/guide_manual_cleaning_master_esms_for_skyrim_and/deim7q2/

Seems about how I thought. So, no cleaning masters anymore. XP

Edited by Grasmann

@ Grasmann, You should NEVER directly edit and clean master files. It is a complete waste of time. The reason is simple if not somewhat obvious. Whenever Bethesda releases an update, or when you do a content check from Steam, the master files are automatically updated and or reset to default parameters. The only road I know of to consistent decent performance is a better computer. A good sized SSD is pretty much a requirement, as is at least 16 Gb of system RAM, plus 8GB of Vram.

I read a lot about cleaning ITM. On this current install, I haven't bothered yet. What are the actual benefits? I know basically, it is files that are not necessary to have, but what really are the benefits of removing them?

I also don't do it lately because I make a lot of edits and patches to mods myself. Often I find a bunch of records and copy them into a patch esp. And I have the intention of using these records but have not yet changed them, They are just there because I don't want to hunt for them or forget about them.

But.. I guess I could easily disable stuff like that before running the clean. I heard the way it works now in Xedit is it will clean all active plugins, not just what you select?

Also for Parrotheada1a, I only have game on HDD and only 6gb of Vram game runs fine for me.

Edited by Guest