Packaging Custom Scripts with Mod

How do you package a mod so that it includes custom scripts?

I recently uploaded a player home mod "Mara's Respite" and I'm having a bunch of people say that can't purchase the house. Basically, the player goes to the Temple of Mara and activates a strong box, which should then give them the option to buy the house or not. This uses a custom script, but the dialogue box isn't popping up.

It would seem that I failed to include the custom script when I uploaded the mod. I'm just not sure how to go about including the script(s).

The same as you when you upload custom Meshes and Textures, etc. You have to include the Scripts folder in your upload. If you don't want to include your source scripts, which allows other's to copy/modify the contents of the script, then just include the .pex files in your upload. Did you pack your files using a BSA or just loose files?

Data/Scripts/YourScript

Your Mod.esp

No, not the entire scripts folder. That would pack everything you have in there including the base game and DLC source scripts.

My suggestion to you would be to use the external BSA archive tool. Instructions on use are here (https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Archive.exe). It supports drag and dropping so you can drop in only the files you need in your archive. Once done, zip up both the ESP and BSA. If going this route, pay attention to the screenshots. They indicate what check boxes should be marked, etc.

Alternatively, create a clean folder outside of the game (use this as a pretend 'data folder') and copy the files you need into the appropriate sub-structure. Then zip up the entire thing at the ESP level.

No, not the entire scripts folder. That would pack everything you have in there including the base game and DLC source scripts.

My suggestion to you would be to use the external BSA archive tool. Instructions on use are here (https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Archive.exe). It supports drag and dropping so you can drop in only the files you need in your archive. Once done, zip up both the ESP and BSA. If going this route, pay attention to the screenshots. They indicate what check boxes should be marked, etc.

Alternatively, create a clean folder outside of the game (use this as a pretend 'data folder') and copy the files you need into the appropriate sub-structure. Then zip up the entire thing at the ESP level.

Awesome, thank you. I'll give that a go. Hopefully I'll be able to upload the fixed mod file early next week.

OK, so I made a BSA file with all of the scripts needed for my mod. I went to test it by dropping the .esp and .bsa files into my Skyrim SE data folder and it's not working. They are separate loose files just like all of the other mods in my data folder, but I'm now when I go to purchase the house, the options aren't showing up.

Does the BSA have the exact same name as the ESP file?

Did you use the SSE version of archive.exe?

They have the exact same name, save for the file extension and I used the archive tool in the Skyrim SE Tools folder.

File names:

MarasRespite.bsa

MarasRespite.esp

That's the order they appear in the data folder as well.

Edited by KiokothePirate

I suppose it is possible that something got messed in the creation of the BSA. Cannot say. Never had a BSA not work.

I remade the .bsa and still not working. So I went and added the scripts back into the scripts folder. Lo and behold it works now. So the problem seems to be with the .bsa. Do I make the .bsa before I remove the scripts files from their respective folder? Like copy those scripts and then make a .bsa with the scripts that I copied. Then remove the loose scripts before installing the .bsa?

Out of curiosity I opened the bsa and found that all of the script names have been changed to seemingly random alpha-numeric codes. Do you know if that is supposed to happen?

Edited by KiokothePirate