How can i run old games

hoofhearted4

so i was going through my old PC games and i came across a couple from Win95 era. because i havent played them since i was a kid, and i remember them being challenging to me at that time, i wanna mess around with them again. however, they wont run on Win7. is there anything i can do to get these games to run on my laptop?!?!

did you try setting the compatibility mode on them to Win 95?

right click the program

choose properties

select the compatibility tab

tick the box that says to Run in compatibility mode

then use the drop down box to select Windows 95

that should work. you may have to play as administrator too

it didnt work :/ i set it to run with Windows 7 and when i go to run the game, the box that says Install pops up and then a box that says Error: Unable to Continue. Please Refer to your Troubleshoorting guide to continue.

i think cause its a 16bit game and i have a 64bit OS. im going to see if i can run XP Mode (cause i have Win7 Pro) and see if i can go down to 16bit from there

EDIT: ah crap that wont work. i have to validate Windows 7 to do that but im saving the Product Key for when i install it on my desktop in a couple of months (since im on a laptop right now), so it looks like ill have to wait until then .

Edited by hoofhearted4

Make sure all the other options in compatability mode are checked as well (Run in 256 colours, run in 640x480, etc.). Works with a few 98 era games for me. Some might just not run as well, especially if they are games that most people have never heard of :P Edited by Illiad86

yea i may try DOSBox. as i said, i think the game is 16bit, and i read that if you have a 64bit OS that compatibility mode wont work for that, that youll have to do something else .

When in doubt, try and search for the game through Google, or Ixquick. Sometimes you can come across fansites and other places who have patches or work-around instructions.

Just be sure that you have reasonably good internet security and are using a WoT addon since you are likely to run into warez sites and other traps for some older games that modern security software may not properly detect.

yea i use WoT and have pretty good protection via anti virus and some other Firefox apps. ill give it a good look into when i have some free time

the game is Where in the USA is Carmen San Diego. an older game i used to play as a kid.

yea i use WoT and have pretty good protection via anti virus and some other Firefox apps. ill give it a good look into when i have some free time

the game is Where in the USA is Carmen San Diego. an older game i used to play as a kid.

Ah, the one that pretty much required having a thick book of information to play... Or was that just the educational 486 era version?