FREE Singleplayer Games to Download

LHammonds

GameTap sounds like you can only play the games if you have an active membership...kinda like Valve's Steam.

If you do this "gold" trial period and download a game such as Supreme Commander, I wouldn't be surprised if you are no longer able to play the game after the trail period or if you are not actively logged into the account while online.

If so, this is not something I'd like to promote.

LHammonds

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome info, LHammonds. Thanks.

One of my all-time favourite games is Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/466/Land...e+of+Chaos.html

On another note, does anyone know what's up with Home of the Underdogs? It seems all the downloads there are broken.

GameTap sounds like you can only play the games if you have an active membership...kinda like Valve's Steam.

If you do this "gold" trial period and download a game such as Supreme Commander, I wouldn't be surprised if you are no longer able to play the game after the trail period or if you are not actively logged into the account while online.

If so, this is not something I'd like to promote.

LHammonds

Eh, I've had gametap for a few months. Never paid once, the games are occasionally from decent to great classics (metal slug 2, original street fighter with hotseat co-op) - this is the free section i'm talking about; some of the premium games you pay for are extremely mediocore..

Not trying to promote it, just informing people on productive ways to leech legally.

Edit: I thought bypassing the swear filter was better than just plain profanity, in that case is it okay for me to use **** instead of [Male chicken]

Track Mania Nations Forever (Driving/Racing Game)

http://www.trackmania.com/en/index.php?lan...p;rub=downloads

I was about to shoot this one down because I first learned of "StarForce" copy protection with the initial release of Track Mania. After my bad experience with StarForce, I vowed to never play (or purchase) a game that used the StarForce protection scheme. According to this wiki page, it seems that this particular free version no longer uses the StarForce drivers. It is a very fun game so I will put this on the list.

There was another extremely fun game (to me anyway) called D-Day (2004) that used StarForce which was very upsetting. I played the Demo on a PC I didn't mind loosing if problems occurred but I never bought the game. I can only WISH D-Day will eventually become StarForce free someday as I would snatch it up in a heartbeat! EDIT: Oops, that's not going to ever happen. The company, Monte Cristo, went under and the D-Day homepage went AWOL.

If interested, here is a list of games that use StarForce that you may or may not want to avoid. ;)

AnonymousThirdParty, why not just avoid the issue altogether and use alternate words that work just as well...such as "wow" that I used when I edited your post. :thumbsup:

LHammonds

These two games are free. I think they make their money by selling you goodies for your character, but as far as I know it's completely optional.

Perfect World International (Yes I have a referral link. I hope that's okay.)

Requiem Bloodymare

Edit: Bah, ignore me. These links should be in the multiplayer thread. I must have been asleep when I posted the above. :wallbash:

Hehe, okay Hammonds - have it your way =D

Three more to add to the freebies list.

http://sfront.ijji.com/ Soldier front. A freeware version of counterstrike; optional payment for member items. Whoever made the installation package was wither ignorant or an idiot, will only install onto your C: drive.

http://www.gunbound.com/ Gunbound. Turn-based game derived from worms, 21 different vehicles (?) - optional payment for some (75%) of the items you can buy.

http://www.cabalonline.com/ Cabal online. Diablo clone, and not too badly done. Optional payment as always for something useless (e.g. a giant electric guitar which you can surf with your warrior, despite being called a %&$! by everyone around you)

I was about to shoot this one down because I first learned of "StarForce" copy protection with the initial release of Track Mania. After my bad experience with StarForce, I vowed to never play (or purchase) a game that used the StarForce protection scheme. According to this wiki page, it seems that this particular free version no longer uses the StarForce drivers. It is a very fun game so I will put this on the list.

There was another extremely fun game (to me anyway) called D-Day (2004) that used StarForce which was very upsetting. I played the Demo on a PC I didn't mind loosing if problems occurred but I never bought the game. I can only WISH D-Day will eventually become StarForce free someday as I would snatch it up in a heartbeat!

If interested, here is a list of games that use StarForce that you may or may not want to avoid. ;)

LHammonds

I don't have any experience with Starforce - though I can verify that it is not installed with TMNationsForever. And yes, it is fun - until you miss that acrobatics jump for the n-teenth time, and realize that you've just got to try it once more. ;)