Blockhead breaks animation replacers, advice?

Murielkai

Blockhead, which is used for Oblivion Character Overhaul 2, is breaking a couple of animation replacers I am trying to use. I tested this on a clean game with just the two animation replacers and Blockhead installed.

These are the walking/running animations I am using:

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/38375?tab=posts&BH=1

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/33998?tab=posts&BH=1

I'm not sure if this is a known issue or not but any advice would be great.

From the description page, I don't know if you're using any of the other mods, but be sure to at least install the mods you use in the order below

Install order is:

- OBSE

- Blockhead

- Robert's Male Body replacer (delete the .esp file here; conflicts with OCO V2)

- OCO V2

- OCO V2 body replacers patches (Roberts Male Body replacer texture compatibility addon)

- CCC (This includes the files CCC 1.8 - Eyes, CCC 1.8 - Hair Meshes 1, CCC 1.8 - Hair Meshes 2, CCC 1.8 - Hair Meshes 3, CCC 1.8 - Hair Textures. You do not need the plugins file. Readme is optional)

- This mod. (Replace the .esp file from OCO V2 with this one).

- Rebuild bashed patch (Wrye bash users only)

You also need archive invalidation (BSA redirection) enabled

NPC animations can be overridden on a per-NPC/per-Race basis too. Animation overrides are implemented as special animations internally. All animation files need to be placed in the following directory: MeshesCharacters_MaleSpecialAnims.

• Per-NPC – Override files must use the following naming convention: <Filename>_BLKD_PERNPC_XXX_00YYYYYY.kf, where XXX – Name of the mod file name + extension, YYYYYY – FormID of the NPC record, without the mod index.
  • Per-Race – Override files must use the following naming convention: <Filename>_BLKD_PERRACE_XXX_Y.kf, where XXX – Name of the race, Y – Gender (M/F).
  • The first part of the filename must follow the same naming convention as the vanilla game’s, e.g., BowIdle_PERRACE_Nord_M.

An NPC can be affected by more than one override at the same time – The engine has the final say on which animation file gets used (the actual mechanics of the picking logic is yet to be discovered/understood).

This is what it says on the Blockhead page and it seems it makes it clear that it can break animations. I cannot make any sense out of what this guy is trying to say, more or less, it appears there is some way to override Bloackheads animation overrides you just have to bust their trace buster trying to bust your trace... Or maybe swallow a f'n spider to catch a fly.

No clue what CCC is but I have everything installed correctly. I guess Blockhead is just not compatible with some animation mods. I tried working with the INI but that seemed to do nothing in particular.

Edited by Murielkai

Blockhead works perfectly well with NoMaaM (an example of what I call a "pure replacer" ... a replacer that works without an ESP). On it's own Blockhead does absolutely nothing, it merely adds the framework via OBSE to allow changes via the methods documented.

I won't be home until the later part of September and so won't have access to my gaming computer until then. Without the resource on that machine I'll be of limited utility for helping you with Blockhead's animation overrides. I can tell you that they work, as I use them extensively to individualize different NPCs in my game (different walks, runs and/or combat animations to certain NPCs).

I would like to try the special anims folder. So I need to make a folder in this file path:

Meshes / character / male / specialanims

• Per-Race – Override files must use the following naming convention: <Filename>_BLKD_PERRACE_XXX_Y.kf, where XXX – Name of the race, Y – Gender (M/F).
  • The first part of the filename must follow the same naming convention as the vanilla game’s, e.g., BowIdle_PERRACE_Nord_M.

@_@

My brain is just not making sense of this. Can you maybe give me an example? The name of the animation I am using is walkfastforward.kf and I want it to affect the Cute Elf race.

I noticed the mod file is packaged in the same file structure so i think its meant to work with Blockhead maybe... I tried this "walkfastforward_BLKD_PERRACE_Dark Elf_F.kf" but it doesn't seem to work. Do I need to do anything in game to activate specialanims?

Edited by Murielkai

The correct folder path will be Data\meshes\characters\_male\specialanims\walkfastforward_BLKD_PERRACE_Dark Elf_F.kf (note the leading underscore on _male and that characters is plural in the vanilla game folder names ... if memory serves).

You could also be running into the Windows file/folder name length restriction (255 characters if I remember correctly) if you have the Steam version of the game installed in Program Files (x86). Find that forum post I mentioned for more details.

I don't recall Womans Move having a Blockhead version, but I'm not at home so I can't investigate further myself.

Just make your own esp and replace the animations on "player" manually. Place it before the bashed patch and tag it for actor animations. Problem solved...

The Womans Move comes with an optional .esp that does this (I assume) and it doesn't work. It loads the animation for a second but Blockhead cuts it off.

The correct folder path will be Data\meshes\characters\_male\specialanims\walkfastforward_BLKD_PERRACE_Dark Elf_F.kf (note the leading underscore on _male and that characters is plural in the vanilla game folder names ... if memory serves).

You could also be running into the Windows file/folder name length restriction (255 characters if I remember correctly) if you have the Steam version of the game installed in Program Files (x86). Find that forum post I mentioned for more details.

I don't recall Womans Move having a Blockhead version, but I'm not at home so I can't investigate further myself.

I am using the gog version installed outside of program files. Womans move comes packaged in the folder structure "Meshes\Characters\_male\specialanims" thats why I was hoping it might work but I definately got the name right and it doesn't. It's no big deal, was just hoping for a more feminine run like the ones in Skyrim.

My earlier post is a sound idea, and really not difficult. I switch my anims this way for different characters often. Never had a problem. Just make sure if you do this, to use tes4edit to clean the new esp. The process is simple in the cs, and you already have the wanted anims in the right file path. So if you want it, here's your way. Place the esp just above your bashed patch if you use one, tag for actor anims... Rebuild patch.

Just make your own esp and replace the animations on "player" manually. Place it before the bashed patch and tag it for actor animations

If I wanted to try this for the Cute Elf race should I try changing the animation for the whole race or just the player like you say here? Gonna give it a shot and see what happens.

Edit: Nope does the same thing that the Woman's Move optional esp does, which is nothing. I guess Blockhead just isn't gonna cut me any slack. What's funny is, I added the same animations to the Cute Elf compansions for CM partners and it works just fine.

Edited by Murielkai