Linux and Steam... advice please!

I said I'd come back and say how the move to Linux was going and I haven't so here's my update. I still haven't tried to install Vortex via the method Bough suggested but that's partly due to a house move and partly because for some reason Seven Kingdoms is more stable under Linux than it ever was on Windows... Anyway, I eventually managed to drag myself away from 7K and found in the meantime that either Steam has done something to SteamPlay or the Ubuntu community has done something to Ubuntu but Skyrim SE is now a lot more stable as well. I've stuck to Ubuntu and Gnome 3 on my main machine but have Cinnamon and Mint on another but I really have to do some more playing on that platform to say whether or not it is different from a games perspective. So... bottom line - so far, so good and I'm in awe with the Linux community which has been extremely kind and helpful! And thanks again to those of you who helped here! :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

So, finally, I installed Lutris and then Vortex on top of that. All works fine straight out of the box... Bourgh - if you ever, ever come back to this thread you've made this person extremely happy!

If anyone else is running Linux and wants to use the mod manager then make sure Wine is at its latest version (though actually Lutris will fix that too). Install Lutris, install Vortex and sit back and all of your favourite Nexus mods are once again playable! :laugh:

Hi again tekmage. I'm not the best person to answer that - I suggest going to the Lutris site and seeing what they're up to! I will say that Lutris installed very fast - even though it updated Wine first. Vortex took ages and ages and ages... and then some more ages... However, when all was done, Vortex recognised Fallout, Skyrim and SE immediately. And although Brough had warned me I might have to manually point, I didn't have to. In fact, it was easier via Lutris and Linux than via Windows because on Windows I put my games on my D: drive. As you know, Linux doesn't view it that way so Wine creates a pretend C: drive. Vortex was very happy to be installed in what it thinks is a Windows C: drive... it grumbled more on my real Windows D: drive :-D The only issue is that you can't launch SkyrimSE from Vortex. It has to be launched via Steam.

I know there are Linux gamers here and they'd like Vortex for Linux. And I understand the arguments both ways. I too would love to see people taking Linux more seriously and realising it is now a much easier, robust and elegant alternative. I'd like to see more support for it. However, the reality is that Lutris is more than capable of delivering Vortex... so to a certain extent, problem solved. Now, if someone would just do that for my TomTom, I'd be happy... :-D