Massive GPU/Lag Spikes

SamtheModder

PROBLEM: Within roughly 15-30 minutes of seamless gameplay (60fps), I experience massive lag spikes. The frame rate drops from roughly 60fps to 15-20fps; the lag lasts for around 3 seconds each time before reverting to 60 FPS again. These spikes usually occur within 2 minutes of each other.

The GPU usage spikes to 100% almost every time these lag spikes happen. CPU usage remains fairly low, varying from 20-40%.

Rig: Gaming Laptop Acer Predator Triton 700. Core i7-7700HQ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 MaxQ 16GB Ram

NOTE: I am using the Photorealistic ENB.

Load Order:

Fallout4.esm=1 DLCRobot.esm=1 DLCworkshop01.esm=1 DLCCoast.esm=1 DLCworkshop02.esm=1 DLCworkshop03.esm=1 DLCNukaWorld.esm=1 Homemaker.esm=1 ArmorKeywords.esm=1 FAR.esl=1 Scrap Everything - Core.esp=1 Scrap Everything - Automatron.esp=1 Scrap Everything - Far Harbor.esp=1 Scrap Everything - Nuka World.esp=1 Scrap Everything - Vault-Tec Workshop.esp=1 Homemaker - Greenhouse and Bunker Disabler.esp=1 Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp=1 SanctuaryParts.esp=1 OCDecorator.esp=1 OCDecoratorDLC.esp=1 OCDispenser.esp=1 CraftableAmmo.esp=1 CraftableAmmo_plus.esp=1 UnlimitedFollowers.esp=1 Armorsmith Extended.esp=1 Armorsmith All DLCs Patch.esp=1 Armorsmith Vault-Tec DLC.esp=1 Armorsmith Nuka World.esp=1 Armorsmith Far Harbor.esp=1 Armorsmith Automatron.esp=1 PRC Patch for Enbs.esp=1 Institute Patch for PRC.esp=1 No Borders.esp=1 BostonFPSFixAutomatron.esp=1 TrueGrass.esp=1

CPU almost 70 degrees at only 12% usage ?

hmm, could be throttling

that is pretty hot for something that is barely using any power. (because when it actually does get utlized, them tempertures will greatly exceed. thus will very likely result in throttling)

now it begs the question, that temperture reading, if that is the CPU itself, then its cores will be much hotter, which would almost definitely result in CPU throttling (the CPU cores will always be hotter then the CPU itself), which if that is the case, it will cause a bottleneck. as it will be slowing the GPU down, (because the CPU will not be sending data to the GPU at a sufficient Rate)

the CPU and GPU MUST work in perfect unison for optimial performance, if 1 is underperforming, it will bring the other down, thus resulting in issues, in this case if the CPU is Indeed throttling, it will greatly affect the GPU thus resulting in poor performance, such as Lag Spikes, as you are experiencing.

you will need a better cooling solution, the CPU should not be reaching 70 Degrees at only 12% usage, that is practically idle,

just remember the CPU is the Brain of the Computer, and like the Brain its the CPUs job to send information to all components (GPU being a prime example) at a sufficient rate

Also according to that linked image, The CPU is being Utilized more then the GPU, so when you took that image, is that while playing the game, or in an idle state ?

assuming the min - max is temperatures, your CPU cores could very well be reaching 80 degrees, which is very hot for the CPU (relevant to low usage, and cooling).

so yea, i am going to say this is a throttling issue without a doubt. (thus Bottleneck)

with such a light weight mod setup and low usage, you should definitely not be seeing high temperatures and poor performance.

Edit: i just noticed you are on a laptop, which would explain the high temperatures, but even still, 70 degrees for CPU at practically idle, is a big issue. even more of an issue, since Laptops Do Not have Sufficient cooling.

so basically, according to the linked image, CPU @ 40% usage = 76 Degrees, that is very bad, CPU Cores will be @ 80+ Degrees (Note: 100% usage on the CPU can Add 30+ Degrees, so if your CPU was to Reach 100% usage, it could very well hit 90 or even 100 degrees, this will greatly shorten the life span, or outright kill the CPU, baring in mind that the cores will be even hotter)

is your CPU overclocked ?

comparison:

My CPU @ 4.5Ghz = 60 Degrees @100% Load, Idle = 40 Degrees. just for comparison sake, so you can see the potential issue here. <-- on a very well cooled desktop pc. that has high end air cooled fans.

Edited by G4M3W1NN3R

seems you are on laptop. this means most probbably it is a heat problem. 7700hq can contribute to heat even using only 3 or 4 threads. i recommend to undervolt the cpu (-0.13v). works great for me. to lower gpu heat you can use nvidia inspector or other nvidia tools to lower the max settings. lowering max frames setting can also help to reduce heat.