Fallout 4 lockup (completely freezes)

icestormng

Hey,

Since some time I have a major problem with Fallout 4.

After playing some time, the game freezes. Audio is still working, but the video and all input halts. I then have to open task manager and kill the game.

At first I thought itâs cause by some mod. So I did a clean install of FO4 through steam, validated the gameâs integrity and started a new game without any mod. And as Iâve reached Concord and begun to kill those raiders, the game froze again.

Most of the time it happens when an NPC aggros. But sometimes it also happens in an Interrior without enemy NPCs. So I donât really find a pattern in that. Sometimes I can play for hours without problems, sometimes it freezes 3 minutes after loading up the game.

I already tried the different graphics settings (shouldnât be a problem on my computer, but I tested it anyway).

BTW. My systems specs are listed in my signature. OS is Windows 10 Pro.

I know that the weapon debris cause crashes on RTX gpus so Iâve disabled that since I installed the GPU.

Other games (also games that are more demanding than FO4) and apps like Substance painter run without a problem. Drivers are up-to date.

Does anyone know at least the cause for those freezes? Iâm currently thinking that the engine doesnât like something on (or in) my computer.

Thanks. ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have XMP enabled with the correct profile for my sticks. Memtest didnât found any problems when Iâve tested it a few weeks ago. Iâve already checked most of my hardware. CPU and GPU are already stress tested. Theyâre not even overclocked (besides factory overclock on the GPU). I could re-run Memtest tomorrow and see whether it finds anything.

And as I said: No other game has problems on my machine. Games like TD2 and AotS run without any problems.

I removed every trace of the game. The Fallout 4 Directory in My Documents and also the small folder in the AppData folder where the plugin list is stored. Then at the first launch FO4 tried to auto-detect graphics settings (which failed as the GPU is unknown to the game). I just changed the graphics in the options dialog and started the game.

The thing is, Iâm actually pretty tech savvy and know a lot about computers. So I tested a lot of stuff already. But this seems to be beyond my knowledge what causes these freezes.

Try switching off XMP and see if makes any difference. It's a matter of timing (I think), not faulty RAM (Memtest).

I can run my RAM with the second XMP profile (3200 MHz) and all plays along nicely, I can max out my memory and really put load on the CPU, no errors. Then firing up FO4 and things become very unstable.

I don't know why, haven't dug into it, but switching off XMP (down to 2666 MHz if I remember correctly atm), and there is no problem.

I have 2133 DDR4 ram (Quad Channel). There is no lower speed and the XMP profile has the same timings as without. But I can give it a try. Never through XMP could be a problem...

Yeah. The creation engine is a bit weird and problematic in different ways.

I will disable XMP and try it again tomorrow. Then I will report back here.