Fallout 4 lockup (completely freezes)

icestormng

Thanks for that. I did some reading the last days about what XMP really does. The setting is enabled by default on my Mobo (???), so I didn't really though that it could harm my system that much.

Now that I've disabled it: The difference is... well... what difference? You don't really notice it. Makes me wonder why everyone calls you stupid for buying memory slower than 3200 MHz. My old CPU probably doesn't support that anyway. I mean. Everything above 2400MHz (DDR4) is OC anyway.

Actually, most games that have a really high CPU usage, are either badly optimized or have extremely aggressive DRM or anti-tamper (I'm looking at you Ubisoft). That eats all your cores for nothing.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

their has been a plethora of tests in the past, by testing faster memory speeds (from 2400 mhz - 4000 mhz), and the results are pretty much negligible between them.

3200 mhz is the optimal speed (is the conclusion, but it really does not matter in the grand scheme of things, your CPU and GPU is far more important, and will make a much bigger impact), anything faster then that is redundant, and is only like 1 fps better.

and likewise 2400 mhz (the default speed for ddr4) is also perfectly sufficient, the difference between 2400 mhz and 3200mhz is largely negligible as well. maybe like 5 fps, which in the grand scheme of things is redundant, as a good Fast CPU, GPU and SSD, is more then capable of giving you fps from 60 and way past 120 fps, so this little 5 fps speed increase with regards to memory you wont even notice at all, especially when your fps is already beyond 120 fps due to strong powerful components (CPU and GPU).

with that said, i do actually run XMP myself, and it does improve performance in MMOs (outside of MMOs however it is completely not noticed, my machine runs extremely fast anyway, with or without XMP). the default XMP overclock, is perfectly fine on my system at least.

all XMP does by default is overclock your memory to its advertised speed. but it also allows you the user to now overclock your memory, beyond its advertised speed.

however what makes it risky, is XMP will also increases how much Power the Memory consumes, and that is where the risk is, because most automated overclocking processes, usually give the components much more power then they actually need, which is incredibly risky.

Your motherboard manufacturer are the ones that would have set how much power the components are given when automated overclocking is enabled (XMP, Turbo Boost, etc etc) and for the most part they always give more power then necessary, which is the problem.

back in the DDR2 days faster memory made an impact, but memory is so fast by default nowadays it is now redundant. especially when we factor in other hardware, that is far more important and will make much bigger impact.

1 thing i should state, my GPU and CPU are overclocked, so it made sense to overclock the memory as well, just to keep perfect harmony between all components. but it is not necessary.

Note: The MMO i am Refeering to is Elder Scrolls Online, which is heavily CPU bound, so it would benefit greatly from faster memory, although i don't actually know how much of a benefit it did, most probably not enough to warrant overclocking the Memory, especially since uncapped, i could achieve 120 fps @ 4k Resolution. so yea xD, but as said a bit above, XMP is enabled simply for harmony between my components.

Edited by G4M3W1NN3R

Wise words. Don't overclock if you don't know why you should!

I can't imagine there is anything noticeable to gain with FO4 using XMP.

For me it actually was the other way around, I run some workloads that put heavy load on the CPU and memory (and the Threadripper likes fast memory). The overclock is 100% stable.

But, at the end of the day when I was ready for a beer and mess around in the wasteland, it all went pear shaped.

That's why I asked the OP about XMP.....

Edited by DjinnKiller

Wise words. Don't overclock if you don't know why you should!

I can't imagine there is anything noticeable to gain with FO4 using XMP.

For me it actually was the other way around, I run some workloads that put heavy load on the CPU and memory (and the Threadripper likes fast memory). The overclock is 100% stable.

But, at the end of the day when I was ready for a beer and mess around in the wasteland, it all went pear shaped.

That's why I asked the OP about XMP.....

*Wise words. Don't overclock if you don't know why you should!*

that is indeed wise words, but that does not apply to me, i know computers inside out, i know exactly how hardware works and communicates with each other, i also know the pros and cons to overclocking, and i also know that absolutely nothing is free, everything comes at a price, i also heavily monitor my hardware on a daily basis, i have a lot of experience in computing, from system building to understanding components. pretty much all my life, i have dealt with computers from building them, to hardware testing and problem solving. anything that i am interested in, i go all out on. i fully understand why you should overclock. and fully understand the price that comes with it. if the price exceeds the reason to overclock, then you should skip overclocking. minimal overclocking makes the price much less to the point of not being applicable (depending on just how small the overclock is), baring in mind that if the hardware is made to be overclocked, this is what i am completely refeering to. in this case overclocking is better. but to overclock, you must know how hardware works, including the price that comes with it and especially your hardware limitations, and 1 must fully understand that no 2 bits of the same hardware are the exact same, meaning 2 i7 7700k cpus for example will both have different limitations, 1 might achieve 5 ghz easily, but the other wont ever achieve 4.8. for example.

Note: to clarify the above bit of my post, it looked like you aimed that highlighted part directly at me, so when i say it does not apply to me, it means i fully understand the meaning behind overclocking and why you should or should not do it and everything in between, and as such that highlighted part does not apply to me. also whenever i mention the word *you* in my post, i am striclty speaking in general (meaning the word you is not aimed at anyone in particular it literally means in general).

Note: (price in this regard means consequences)

the most important factor in overclocking, is Voltage. this is what can greatly increase tempertures, and if more is given then required can result in greatly diminished life span of hardware, and in extreme cases if way to much voltage is given, will result in hardware failure/death.

with that in mind, my hardware has very minor overclocks (and the voltage is at a very safe level) my hardware is actually given/uses less voltage then what was supplied when i first got it. as such it is much cooler, and makes a fairly big difference in performance, due to the many stress tests, less voltage/power consumed, and much cooler tempertures, its very safe. not too mention the overclocks are still within hardware limitations. they are not extreme at all, processor is 4.5 ghz (overclock of just 200 mhz) and GPU is factory overclocked. this processor can easily handle 4.8 - to potentially 5 ghz. but it is completely not nessarary for me to run it at such high speeds, and likewise overclocking it to them speeds would increase the price (consequence). everthing runs perfectly as is. it has been running at 4.5 ghz for over 3 years, so thats how i know it is a very safe overclock, and is in fact very stable, it has never choked or exceeded expected tempertures. i would say it is very happily running at the speed i oced it 2.

as for your point about your overclock being 100% stable, you cannot know that for sure, because the closest you can get to knowing if your overclock is stable, is by doing full day stress tests, but that is not guaranteed, it just means you hardware can handle a full day at 100% usage, that does not mean it can handle that overclock for weeks, months or even years. as proven by the issues you had with fallout.

100% would be perfect, its impossible to achieve. perfect and free are an illusion, perfect is completely un-achievable, and everything has a price, thus rendering the meaning behind free redundant. the most you can hope for, is getting as close to perfect as possible, to do that, you will also need to understand you will never achieve perfection ( i am saying this in General),

Edited by G4M3W1NN3R

@icestormng Yep, biggest culprit of CPU hogging belongs to Denuvo. The game industry is so paranoid of piracy that they forgot what actually gets consumers to buy games. A good game. Or in the case of GOG, a good service that offers fair prices with no DRM and genuinely is trying to make the gaming experiences better.

As for XMP memory use, AMD iGPUs make excellent use of it. I built a AMD A8 - 7600 iGPU machine a long while back that utilized XMP memory very well. The AMD integrated Radeon R7 absolutely crushed 720P gaming with it. Modern AMD architecture overall is built around fast memory while Intel doesn't really rely on it since they have always preferred raw CPU speeds. Intel = Brute force VS AMD = Smarter and more efficient architecture.

Just wanted to leave a work of thanks for this discussion. I had been experiencing random freezing eerily similar to what icestormng was having: almost always when engaged in combat (not in VATS, mind you), or when nearby enemies were aggroed, mostly in interior cells (twice in the same location in Fort Hagen on different characters). I was starting to learn towards a hardware related issue as I never had these problems before building a new rig in January (my first build). The freezes occur on all characters across multiple FO4 installs on the system. Trying all the black magic and mod dissecting I could muster didn’t resolve the issue. I had been at my wits end trying to track it down.

But after reading this thread and finding that my BIOS did in fact have an XMP profile active, I disabled it and have had a collective 8-ish hours of freeze free gameplay, with loads and loads of combat. The XMP profile was rated at 3200 MHz, but it’s now running at the apparently more stable rate of 2666. The mobo is a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master. I don’t recall turning the XMP profile on myself, but then again, I can’t recall what I had for lunch three days ago so anything is possible.

Thanks for shedding some light on this nagging problem. I never would have even considered XMP causing the issues, and also learned a bit about the technical side in the process.

^ THIS. In December I built an 9700K msi Z390 system with 3200 XMP enabled memory and had all sorts of unpredictable issues.

Downselected the memory speed BIOS to 2400 Mhz and life is good.

Fallout 4 Load accelerator loads in Boston up to 400 frames per second and Call of Duty runs 240 fps.

Fallout 4 Load accelerator loads in Boston up to 400 frames per second and Call of Duty runs 240 fps.

Hey, SKK! I'm using ENB and I'll disable the frame rate cap during load screens by toggling the hot key assigned to it ...does the same thing as load accelerator, albeit with a slight bit of human intervention. It is pretty surreal when the FPS spikes to 800 or more.

Looks like FO4 is a great memory stability/stress test ^^

It also likes like a lot of memory configurations are not as stable as they seem to be... I thought itâs because of my old board not supporting anything. But the problem seems to be a bit more widespread...

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, so it turns out that my XMP was never actually enabled (ever, could of sworn i enabled back in the day for ESO but that may have actually been my old computer i did it on) lol, anywho, it can actually make a huge difference in performance. i decided to test it enabled and disabled and here are the results:

Fallout 4 Completely unmodded, title screen (i am using an enb - using the title screen as to eliminate the GPU Bound areas) - uncapped frame rate

i7 7700k @4.5 Ghz (turbo boost) - Dram 2133 (XMP Disabled) = 660 FPS min - 665 fps Max

i7 7700k @4.5 GHz (turbo boost) - Dram 2666 (XPM Enabled) = 685 FPS Min - 690 Fps Max

so yea, 25 fps boost by enabling it, that is pretty damn significant boost in performance, this can result in going from 35 fps to 60 fps, just by enabling XMP

unknown how stable this will be in the long run, but my motherboard can handle upto 3800 dram, and my dram is rated for 2666 mhz and is still operating with the same safe 1.2 v on memory.

however the i7 7700k limit is 2400 mhz dram. so yes 2666 is definitely overclocking.

on a side note, that is pretty hilarious, that i am getting fps in triple digits, XMP enabled is almost 700 fps lol, insane (granted this will not translate to actual gameplay and when i actually start putting mods in, but i always love seeing the ridiculously high framerates you get on the title screen, realistically heavily modded, in game, i will get 90 fps)

Note: i am using an Nvidia GTX 1070 - overclocked, that would ovbiously play a role in the massive fps i am getting, however overclocked memory would not affect the GPU performance at all, so i just figured i would state what gpu i have anyway, just to confirm these massive fps are not onboard graphics.

overclocked memory strictly benefits the CPU in CPU Bound areas.

another thing we can take from this, Fallout 4 does in fact love faster memory, and likewise so does My CPU.

Note: my Memory sticks are Corsair LPX DDR4 Sticks. (opted for these, since i am using a huge noctua cpu cooler, and did not want space issues, lpx = low profile)