Fallout 4 lockup (completely freezes)

icestormng

its this reason upon many reasons why i absolutely refuse to downgrade to windows 10. tried it 3 different times (to see if they improved it) and absolutely raged at the complete ineptitude of the os, first time because i thought i had to, due to my hardware not being officially supported by windows 7 (however some godsend person managed to fix this issue, allowing us with newer hardware to still run windows 7) and the other 2 times was when they released major updates for it, but still i absolutely loath windows 10.

windows 7 works perfectly fine for me and has done for the many years i have been using it, it seems like every update to windows 10 creates even more issues lol.

lets not also forget the measly 4 gig vram limit that microsoft implemented in windows 10, what an absolute inept decision that was (granted they fixed that issue, but still took em long enough), causing many issues modding skyrim back in the day.

As for XMP it was very unstable for me, the computer felt less responsive, so maybe its my CPU that does not like it. not too mention that my CPU tempertures with XMP enabled was reaching pretty high temperatures.

XMP does not just overclock the Memory, it can also mess with the CPU, such as overclocking the CPU multipliers as well as giving more voltage to the CPU (Note: this is not guaranteed however, it depends on the bios), which is what i believe happened to my cpu hence the higher temperatures.

tested with and without XMP, and the tempertures were defintely different.

XMP Disabled: CPU Temperture = 60 Degrees

XMP Enabled: CPU Temperture = 70+ Degrees (which while safe, i am not happy with)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.. If I wouldn't have a 4K screen and want the better DPI scaling of Win 10 I would've stayed on Win 7. So much hassle with that system because every time you get your system stable, Microsoft works on the next update that breaks it.

And while X99 and Broadwell E are a bit dated, they're still fast enough for most things today.

For me XMP just tightens the timings. I've extractedthe profile out of the BIOS image and checked the settings for it. As I didn't saw a noticable change in performance (not even in the heavy areas or other games/applications), I will keep it disabled. Just OCed the CPU to 4,2 GHz and now I can get 60FPS stable in boston (with some loading lags). That microcode update somehow messed up a lot of things.

lets not also forget the measly 4 gig vram limit that microsoft implemented in windows 10, what an absolute inept decision that was (granted they fixed that issue, but still took em long enough), causing many issues modding skyrim back in the day.

Wait. There was a 4GiB VRAM limit in Win 10? :wallbash:

Why does Microsoft always thinks they have to decide what we want and what not?

Wait. There was a 4GiB VRAM limit in Win 10? :wallbash:

Why does Microsoft always thinks they have to decide what we want and what not?

They didn't.

The case (back around 2016) was much more convoluted with a mix of Win8, Win10, DX9-games, 32-bit vs 64-bit, potential driver issues (both Nvidia and AMD), and so on and so forth.

Ie. the usual confusion and FUD on this beautiful thing called the Internet.... :)

Yeah, I've been using Windows 10 64-bit both private and professionally since at least release 1703.

And while Win10 in many areas have it's problems, I would sure as shite have heard about an artificial limitation like that in the OS.

(Having users with professional grade multi-display solutions, 4-8 displays with combinations of 27-32" monitors up close and large wall-mounted displays in the 50-70" range)

Still, I have the feeling that Windows 10 causes way more issues than Windows 7 ever had. Maybe itâs just because of my âžoldâ hardware. But Windows 10 forced you in way more regards to something you may not want than Windows 7 did. Like updates or how hard it is now to permanently disable Windows defender (only in Pro with group policies). Thatâs what I meant when I said that Microsoft thinks they have to decide what the user wants.

I have no statistics, but remember the first releases of Windows 7. There was problems to be sure, but it became very good down the line.

Switching off core security features like Defender is a non-issue for me, I don't do it, but ymmv.

Defender scores pretty high in the latest tests and and at work we use Defender ATP in combination with the full security stack from Azure (Office ATP and Azure ATP).

Can't say that this has caused any major problems both on my private PC's or at work, rather the opposite.

I have the impression that Defender is rather well behaved, but again, no solid statistics to lean on.

Yeah, I've been using Windows 10 64-bit both private and professionally since at least release 1703.

And while Win10 in many areas have it's problems, I would sure as shite have heard about an artificial limitation like that in the OS.

(Having users with professional grade multi-display solutions, 4-8 displays with combinations of 27-32" monitors up close and large wall-mounted displays in the 50-70" range)

it was for dx9

so yes their was very much a 4gb vram limit for dx9

notice how my post said skyrim back in the day, you know when it was dx9 only.

the 4GB Vram limit issue was resolved in 2017

the point is the fact their was very much a vram limit. (caused by an allocation bug) that is pretty inept and is equally as bad as basically putting an actual limitation of 4GB Vram on Dx9 Applications.

A Limitation is a Limitation at the end of the day, regardless whether it was caused by a bug or not. and it took em a good amount of time to fix it, originally the fix was in a beta update, so the majoirty of people that only use public updates would have waited much longer for a fix they should of had day 1, rather then getting the beta update and potentially destroying their installation, which windows does state is a possibility when opting for early beta update releases (Public Test Builds).

• 10 months later...

Just throwing this out there, but 10 Doesn't dump the VRAM cache, which for most computers is I think 8gb.... If this fills up your VRAM can crash because of the game. It's a lot faster with 4k. You have to manually program Task Scheduler to dump this periodically or you will see crashes every time you play Fallout.