Hearthfire is out for PC!

Tarm

Thirteen Oranges updated his "Places: Oakwood" mod that was in the same Navmesh as the house you build in Hearthfire! -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100934504&searchtext=

He also updated his other mod "Places: Laintar Dale" for Hearthfire -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100947272

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about these DLCs that gets in my craw is that, with regular mods, people can choose to use them or not-- not every mod is expected to be compatible with every other mod, and people make a choice. With the DLCs, it seems to me that the pressure is on modders to change their content to accommodate the DLC, and if they don't they are somehow being irresponsible. I just don't agree. I think if people choose to download additional content of any sort, they need to be prepared to deal with their choices.

Personally I do not have much interest in either of the current DLCs, (slight interest in DG and much less so for Hearthfire) so that obviously colors my opinion--it irritates me to see an increasing number of mods requiring me to purchase additional content which I don't really want to use. I don't blame mod authors for not wanting to provide multiple mod versions for those with every possible combination DLC/game versions, and in the case of Dawnguard it seems like there are some nice extras for modders to play with. But as Hearthfire seems to me to have such pervasive effects and fairly limited use, I wish in the case of conflicts the suggestion would be to disable the DLC (or choose to disable their mods) rather than to imply that the modders should accommodate it.

Maybe I'm becoming a curmudgeon....guess I'll go hang out with Festus Krex!

You really don't seem to get the issue here. No one's complaining that Beth is taking anything away from PC players. However, many of us don't like that they're spending time and money re-inventing the wheel to give console players a DLC that is of little to no benefit to those of us who play the game on PC. There are so many ways that they could make content that would benefit both groups, but instead, they've decided to pander to one demographic over the other.

Actually, the idea was Bethesda's to begin with. This was developed a long time ago and shown during the DICE video.

I'm sorry you can't see the benefit's to PC players, but that's YOUR issue, and a pretty uncreative stance. Lets ignore for the minute people like me who aren't really interested in using mods until the game is finished, and talk about the potential Hearthfire has.

I'm not going to list all my ideas because quite frankly someone will run with them, but basically for people with good 3d modeling and texturing ability but poor scripting ability, Bethesda just gave them a pretty big canvas to create some really cool things.

Added to the number of items created specifically for house building and you have a lot of potential for "realism" mods. Then there's the whole adoption thing, which not only added the adoption feature itself, but allowed children to have toys, and much more interesting, change outfits. Meaning instead of having to worry about how the scripting would work, 3d modelers can now add an entire line of clothing for children instead of having them all run around in the same outfits.

Those are just a few examples.

The thing about these DLCs that gets in my craw is that, with regular mods, people can choose to use them or not-- not every mod is expected to be compatible with every other mod, and people make a choice. With the DLCs, it seems to me that the pressure is on modders to change their content to accommodate the DLC, and if they don't they are somehow being irresponsible. I just don't agree. I think if people choose to download additional content of any sort, they need to be prepared to deal with their choices.

Because the difference is, mods aren't official content, and we don't have to use them anymore than we have to download the DLC. But we PAID for the DLC, and it's official content from the official creators. Bethesda is going to attempt to support their work. Modders should do the same if they expect people to use it.

If you don't want to update your mod, then you have the option of not creating/releasing a mod until the GotY is out. That's the price you pay for releasing content for what is essentially an unfinished game.

Edited by Stemin

Overall I'm quite pleased with Hearthfire (so far from what I've seen playing it for a day) for adding more realism to the game, providing a cheaper housing alternative (with more customization even), and for a low price. It does have its issues, but it's still kinda fun.

My main complaints are:

how they put almost everything you need right by the building site, and the fact that building materials are keeping me over encumbered regularly while I build these homes. I feel like a mod is in order (or better yet and update from Bethesda) that allows things to be stored on site like the way sawn logs are, instead of me carrying around 30 lbs of quarry stone. Lastly, choosing all the options really leaves the home cluttered. There's too much. But with no general idea of where each item built will be placed, it's hard to pick and choose.

Edited by Stemin

funny, you guys seem to have the same problem as I do. for some reason skald won't make me a thane even after completing every single quest the pale has to offer. and I mean it. the falkreath house I can buy, but if I go anywhere near it or pinewatch, I get a CTD. must be something got edited in that area since I had to use a console command to get in pinewatch to do a thief guild quest. the olny housestead that seemed to work for me was morthal's. and for those who are having problems with breezehome - are you using the Dovakiin hideout by shanks? hearthfire just screwed breezehome up right so... I'm guessing thats why you guys are having crashes. I know cus im in the same shoes as you guys. ever since getting hearthfire its been downright annoying. 3 new houses and I can only build and use one. the one in falkreath causes ctd. the one in the pale i cant even get since skald lost his thane dialog thing. I hope our dear talented and wonderful modders will figure out a way to fix Bethesda's errors ( again ) .