Strange random CTD, what's going on?

linyuheng2000

My fallout 4 rarely CTD before,almost once twice in whole playthrough. Recently my game CTD a bit often, not very often though. This week I only encounter three times and still most of the time my game was stable. The reason I'm here not because the frequency of the crashes, but because the moment it crash. It's so random that I totally have no idea why. Everybody know ,the game crash usually happen when combat,loading screen,or exploring crowded places like downtown Boston. But this week, first,my game crash when I go find the drinking buddy(protectron) in the bar, it got out of the pod and said a few words and suddenly my game crash. What??? After I load save and try again everything is fine. After that the game crash in some different but totally unrelated places. Yesterday is the weirdest. My game crash twice when I talking to Dima for the first time in Acadia with Nick by my side. Twice. What's going on??? Everytime it crash near the end of that long conversation but it's not like I can't pass that dialog by skipping it. It just seem to crash when they talk for a long time. I google everywhere but nobody has the same issue. Of course this is still a random crash so the third time I tried everything is OK. I just don't understand what cause these not frequently random crashes. The game it self? My computer? Or my mods? Yes I do have some mods but everytime it crash in some place with zero mod impact and I only have fifty or sixty mods install so I don't think it is cause by mods. I can upload my load order later when I go back home. I just want to know is this normal to crash in the places like these?

The game crashes almost 2 or 3 hours (without mods) for me when I play 2 or 3 years ago.

1. My game crashes when I go crazy and watch a "genius" YouTuber video about having 60 to 100 settlers (Automatron radiant quest) per settlement. At one time, my character's Sanctuary has 60 plus settlers when it becomes really slow and then it finally crashes (2 years ago).

A good side to this dark comedy: NO RAIDERS DARE TO ATTACK MY SETTLEMENT (imagine 6 raiders vs 60 settlers with decent weapons).

2. Intense combat (too many fights occurring at once), maybe the game cannot load too many stuff at once.

3. Visiting certain locations will cause crashes in the past for me, I solve that in a new playthrough by uninstalling unnecessary stuff.

Most probably you need to uninstall stuff and install the latest patches.

Edited by leisuresuitberry

• 2 weeks later...

It got to the point were FO4 wouldn't start. I tried a reinstall no luck. I totally stripped out the folders left behind by the uninstaller and totally uninstalled Vortex. The game started running again. I have been playing with no mods, never have used the console other than a TLC or two when I got stuck. I haven't increased build limits. I have activated work benches other then Sanctuary Hills but haven't built anything there. I got a CTD yesterday. I'm thinking it's a game engine bug or some hardware issue on my end. My PC can barely run it as is. I started doing two 24 hour sleeps in a row before quitting for the night. The game loads much faster now. Basically save, save, save when playing anything Bethesda puts out!

Edited by wcurtin1962