Microphone Picking Up Output Audio

I have made this thread a number of times before, but the threads I have made in the past never got much attention, so I am making a new one. I also have some new ideas as to what might be causing the problem.

The problem is as the title implies: my microphone picks up audio from my desktop. This happens on Discord and on the Windows testing screen. It sometimes even happens when I have my mic up (in a muted position, I have a pair of HyperX Cloud Stingers).

Before, when I had a pair of Razer Kraken 7.1 headphones, I never had this issue, which began around the time I got my new headphones.

I suspected that it might be due to the fact that my headphones are plugged into a splitter cable, which is plugged into a wired remote connected to my speakers, which are both the 'input' (the microphone) and the 'output' (the speakers). Since they appear as one device in Windows, I thought that making them separate devices might fix the issue, so I bought a 3.5 mm to USB adapter. This did not fix the issue. When I tried to set the USB and High Definition Audio Device as separate input and output devices, it would not work, as I would not be able to hear anything through my headphones or have the mic pick up nothing.

Does anyone have a similar issue? It is really beginning to stress me out.

BTW I tried all that nonsense with the 'Stereo Mix' and whatnot and it hasn't worked because it doesn't show up in the sound/recording devices menu. I don't have Realtek drivers.

That's a software issue. Or more likely, drivers. According to theory, the mic should know what the speakers are putting out, and ignore it. (or, the software filters it out, one way or the other....) What can you do about it? Not a clue.

That's a software issue. Or more likely, drivers. According to theory, the mic should know what the speakers are putting out, and ignore it. (or, the software filters it out, one way or the other....) What can you do about it? Not a clue.

Don't want to jinx myself, but I believe that I have found the solution to my problem: installing RealTek drivers. After installing them, everything seems to work properly, and the input and output seem to have been split.

Don't want to jinx myself, but I believe that I have found the solution to my problem: installing RealTek drivers. After installing them, everything seems to work properly, and the input and output seem to have been split.

Excellent. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a necro, but I found out that this did not, in fact, work. My mic is back to picking up output audio for whatever reason. It stopped doing it, then went back to doing it to the point where my friends can hear what I am listening to perfectly. It is seriously starting to annoy me and I have no idea how to fix it.

EDIT: It looks like I did jinx myself after all.

Edited by RobinHood2005

Open up your default Windows SOUND panel (Should be a right click on the speaker in the systray and (Open sound settings)

Then, switch to the Recording Tab, click on whichever Microphone you have, change to the LISTEN Tab, and make sure that LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE is unchecked.

If LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE is checked, it means that the sound from the mic will play to the speakers and will start to feedback.
With LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE unchecked, the audio from the mic can still be recorded, it just won't be passed to the speakers.

Listen-to-device.jpg

Open up your default Windows SOUND panel (Should be a right click on the speaker in the systray and (Open sound settings)

Then, switch to the Recording Tab, click on whichever Microphone you have, change to the LISTEN Tab, and make sure that LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE is unchecked.

If LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE is checked, it means that the sound from the mic will play to the speakers and will start to feedback.

With LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE unchecked, the audio from the mic can still be recorded, it just won't be passed to the speakers.

Listen-to-device.jpg

Doesn't work. I already had that the proper way, but sound still comes through.