A few simple ideas

PaulEmmons

1) Sometimes we have multiple identical items to enchant (typically in order to sell them), and we must follow all the steps at the arcane enchanter with each. It would be nice if we could enchant all such items more easily. The simplest solution might be a "repeat" button, which would enchant another item identical to one just done, when it and another filled soul gem of the same level exists in the player's inventory.

2) I would like an enhancement to SkyUI providing (a) the ability to designate an item in the player's inventory, or any items added to it for the moment, as "for sale"; (b) a filter to show for-sale items in the inventory; © the ability to store all for-sale items in a container; (d) the ability to protect a given item in the inventory from being dropped, stored, or traded until the protection is removed, or at least without a prompt to verify that the player really wants to remove the item from the inventory.

3) This isn't really a mod, but an external program that would be nice to have: from a saved game file, a list in ordinary text of everything stored in all containers of all the player's homes (together with the location of each). The output would probably be a rather large and crude file, but could serve as a basis for tools as simple as SED or Perl that could read it to find a specific unique item, or how many nirnroots one has and where they are.

In addition to these ideas.

I find it very inconvenient that I can't use the hotkey to quickly equip a favoured 1h weapon to both hands, providing this is an enhanced or enchanted weapon. For example, I can equip two forsworn swords to both hands by double pressing the hotkey, but I can't do this with two similarly enchanted or upgraded forsworn swords (they occupy two different lines in my inventory). This restriction makes Dual Flurry senseless once you have improved\enchanted weapon.

Edited by Skybroom

This is gonna be a longer post than I anticipated, apologies...

1) Oh yes! I am all for enchanting more than one item at a time!

It would be awesome if the same went for smithing (for realist lovers like me, you could have a fade out and time passing to simulate the time it would take, including periods of rest, eating and drinking- longer when you're a beginner, shorter when you're better at it).

Also, on the topic of smithing/enchanting and alchemy: you shouldn't be able to turn out completely fine products when you're just starting out.

For smithing:

The quality of your daggers, for example, should become better the more you smith them, same for swords, armors, robes and other weapons. It should be in quality tiers, with the lower qualities liable to break (the lower the higher the chance/the sooner) and the best quality unbreakable, because through your labor you have learned how to weave Skyrim's natural magic into your product. (Maybe you could have a quest for that). The selling price should reflect the quality.

When you learn to smith other materials, it should take a bit less time to accomplish the highest quality, to simulate that you already are a somewhat accomplished smith, only learning a new material.

The whole system should be build in a way that forces players to make a conscious decision to become a blacksmith or not. The more refined your products are, the better your reputation as a blacksmith will be and people may come to you and commission you to smith something for them for a price. In order not to feel forced into it, there should be an oppurtunity to commission other blacksmiths to do the work for you.

Enchanting:

when you start out, there should be a slight percentage to fail at it: either destroying both object and soul gem (optional) or getting a sub-par product, regardless of which Soul Gem you use. When you're proficient enough people may commission you. (For example, you could be commissioned by a guard to enchant his blade with absorb health/magicka damage/fire damage/whatever the guard would like).

Alchemy:

at first, your potions have a percentage that they just won't work, or poison the drinker (indigestion, not deadly poison, though that could be optional) or make him/her sick. With work and time, you get better (and faster) at brewing, though there should probably always be a set minimum time to simulate- I don't know, grinding, heating, whatever you do with the ingredient. The better your potions are the more they are worth, of course and at some point, people may commission you.

2) YES! YES, PLEASE!!!

3) OH MY GOD, YES! At the moment, I am making do with manually writing all of it down- largely because I want to prevent loss of things should a bug delete them...

• 1 year later...

Exactly what makes you think any of these ideas are "simple"?

Because they are simpler than many mods already out there, and they do not affect gameplay at all, only convenience.

Perhaps this would make it simpler still: It occurs to me that a single enhancement called "display levels" would do everything I proposed re SkyUI and more. Players could assign each item in their inventory to one of four levels numbered 0-3. They could assign (and change when desired) a default level for items added. And they could easily set and change the current display level to see the inventory. The levels could display in either separated or cumulative mode. I imagine cumulative mode as the default, but some players might prefer otherwise. In this mode, level 3 would display everything (like SkyUI at present). Level 2 would show everything except those items assigned to level 3, which would be hidden. And so on-- display level 0 would hide all items except those assigned to level 0.

Do you have items relating to quests that you can't complete or are sticking around due to glitches? What about your list of a dozen Stones of Barenziah, only half of what you will need for them to matter? Elder Scrolls, Black Books? Just put them in level 3 and, unless you really want to see them, it can be as though they don't exist. You can also use level 2 or 3 for relatively permanent and essential items like weapons, apparel, and the Black Star (probably most of them easily accessible in your favorites list) to prevent storing, selling, or dropping them accidentally. Level 1 could be the default for items added to the inventory (usually by foraging, looting, or trading). Level 0 would be ideal for items for sale or storage ASAP.

The concept is simple, clean, and flexible. How easy would it be to implement? I have no idea, but obviously mod creators have produced much more elaborate things than this. I've programmed in various languages including assembler, but don't know the first thing about creating a Skyrim mod. If I did, I would try to write these mods myself.

Edited by PaulEmmons