Vortex question

NickThePersian

So, im kind of new to modding. Or i am more of a noob on it. Vortex especially since im still used to NMM. However im just gonna ask this quick little question as to not waste to much time.

Is it possible to have your mods saved on vortex.

Example: I get a new pc and dont backup the files, mods etc from the files on my current pc. Does Vortex have a function that saves the mods on there so i wont have to look for each and every mod again and install them?

If not, oh boy that would be a nice feature though.

Ah rly? So when i install vortex on the new pc i can still find em without having to go to the nexus?

Nexus------->Download Folder (Mod archives, like RAR, ZIP, 7z-------------------->Install Mod (Mod Staging Folder) 7Z, RAR, ZIP get extracted into individual files and folder------->Links made to DATA folder

As long as you have the Download Folder with all the 7Z, ZIP, RAR archives, then you don't need to download them again

Hm ait. Well. I might be able to back everything up by the time the new pc arrives anyways. Or i might just save all mods to "tracked" on the nexus to find em again easy pzy.

For an even easier transition, backup your appdata\roaming\vortex folder

It holds all of the mod install info etc

Or , just backup the entire appdata folder

I was rather surprised that there wasn't an export/import function, so I tried to make an extension to add one myself. It's very simple and just a first beta version essentially, but you can download it here: Vortex-Modlist-Backup. You download that into a folder in the plugins folder for Vortex (I have it in %AppData%\Vortex\plugins\extension-backup), and then when you go to the Modlist in Vortex there's a Modlist dropdown with a Backup and a Restore button. Backup just creates a json file in the same directory as the plugin and Restore restores that list. Unfortunately you need to be Premium members to restore, but it ottherwise works.

There's some features I still want to make (such as being able to choose where to back the files up to and where to restore them from), but for now it should work for keeping a back up for a large list of mods

Personally i would have liked to see a function on vortex to keep my mods. So that when i installed vortex again (on my new pc for example) they would still be there. Just like with steam that keeps your games on your account. But alas it seems like files and folders will have to be the way to go.

Il just do what i said above. Il track all the mods i currently use and just find them from there. More user friendly for a noob "modder" like me ^^