Modpatcher

dreadylein

Did Firaxis update the .exe or the game itself?

Modpatcher doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Everytime I patch the exe steam overwrites it again with a different version (slightly larger) even though I disabled the automatic update for XCOM.

Weird. Try offline mode.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modpatcher doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Everytime I patch the exe steam overwrites it again with a different version (slightly larger) even though I disabled the automatic update for XCOM.

I dont know if it was Fraxis or steam but if you play in online mode it does seem to try and install a exe. I tested it but I generally always play in offline mode in most games I play on Steam.

Big thanks to Dreadylein for replay saving patcher. If you play Multiplayer then that would be a problem as it breaks Steam agreement.

Weird. Try offline mode.

I am unable to get modpatcher to work as well. Is that one of the things reverted in v0.2: support for those installed under Steam?

Here is my log file in case it's not.

19:18:56 Startup

19:18:56 steampath d:/program files (x86)/steam

19:18:56 checkcp return false

19:18:56 xcom binarie found @ + comp

19:18:56 xcom binarie found @ + comp

19:18:56 path vars org: d:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe d:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\xcom-orginal.exe

19:18:57 steampath d:/program files (x86)/steam

19:18:57 steampath d:/program files (x86)/steam

19:18:57 xcom binarie found @ + comp

19:18:57 updateres var: d:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe

19:18:57 getmodfile: DefaultGameCore.mod

19:18:57 done

I'm having the same problem. By chance, do you own the retail box version (installed through steam) as well? A friend of mine bought his digital copy off Steam and has no problems running XCOM mods, but it never works for me. He plays in online mode, too.

After I run modpatcher and then try to run the game through Steam in offline mode, a "Completing installation..." window comes up and stays locked at 0%. It doesn't run again until after I go back into online mode and when I do, the game runs at its default settings. Someone said they reinstalled steam, so I might try that.

Here is my log.txt

17:49:33 Startup
17:49:33 steampath c:/program files (x86)/steam
17:49:33 checkcp return true
17:49:33 Backup found, use as base
17:49:33 xcom binarie found @ + comp
17:49:33 path vars backup: c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\xcom-orginal.exe
17:49:33 updateres var: c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe
17:49:33 getmodfile: DefaultGameCore.mod
17:49:34 done

(snip)

After I run modpatcher and then try to run the game through Steam in offline mode, a "Completing installation..." window comes up and stays locked at 0%. It doesn't run again until after I go back into online mode and when I do, the game runs at its default settings. Someone said they reinstalled steam, so I might try that.

(snip)

I'm having exactly the same issue as these two: I have the digital download of XCOM bought via Steam, and when I run modpatcher it reports no error, but when I launch Steam it says "completing installation" and the .exe grows by about 4kb and I can't see the effect of my changes. If there's anything I can do to help debug this I'd be happy to.. I guess maybe the next step is to try doing the RCData edit by hand?

Hey gus, try this

Deleting the backup file and orignial file

Let steam check

Try patching again

This didn't work at first, but adding one extra step solved it for me:

1. I deleted both the patched and the original backup .exe file

2. had steam 'verify game cache' to re-download the original .exe

3. ran the game once first! this brought up the 'completing installation' window and modified the .exe that was just downloaded

4. exited the game and patched

and now it seems to work. So it looks like maybe people who were re-validating to get a fresh .exe and then immediately patching it had this problem, you have to let Steam launch the game and finalize it first, then patch.

So I've been playing with the original mod. The one that allows you to shoot down UFOs as they show up for terror/abduction missions.

Problem is, only 1 ship (abductor class) seems to ever show up. If I fight it and shoot it down, there is no abduction/terror mission. I thought there were supposed to be 3 UFOs preparing for terror/abduction?

At this point I have complete satellite coverage (except for Argentina, because they pulled out). But I haven't had an abduction/terror mission in forever. I have had a few bomb missions, but that's it. I believe it's been around 1-2 months, game time.

Am I just missing something?

I've since deleted the old mod and used the new one, without UFOs.

Either way, both mods are awesome and I'm glad they're out there.