Modpatcher

dreadylein

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pirated copies don't work with the modpatcher. I'm assuming it's because there are critical differences in the .exe files. The question is does Dreadylein want to make the modpatcher compatible with pirated versions? I assume not. So all pirates, please stop asking for help, it's technically not possible to make mods work with your game versions. Thanks. Edited by BlackAlpha

I did testing on this. The hosts file seems to be enough:

• Start -> "notepad" (do not press ENTER key)
  • Right-click on Notepad program -> Run as Administrator
  • File -> Open -> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • Add these 3 lines to the file:
    # Prevent XCOM Phone Home
    127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
    127.0.0.1 65.118.245.165

• Save the file

No need to reboot even, at least on Windows 7.

I tested by changing the cost of Medikits to $1 and changing the assault rifle to not require ammo. After this change, I was able to leave Steam ONLINE and the game still used by changes. I verified in the log file that the game only seems to get updates via the server above. It does NOT appear to get updates through Steam.

the path works for me up until hosts. as soon as i open it, there aren't any files in there for me to moddify..

yeah you might not have a hosts file. If that case, just make a new file called "hosts" with the 3 lines above. When finished, goto that folder and make sure you didn't accidentally call your new file "hosts.txt" If you did, you need to rename the file and remove the ".txt"

There /is/ no retail version that doesn't use Steam, so let's avoid helping out anyone that asks for such.

On-topic, though, it's kind of a dick move on the part of Firaxis to require offline mode to use mods. There are much easier ways to prevent tampering with multiplayer(server-side settings, perhaps? A check of a multiplayer-specific ini file before MP launches, maybe even just a seperate MP exe, like what CoD uses.) They need to realize that nothing they do will stop the modding community, and they're much better off if they work /with/ it, instead of trying to work against it. People are going to get into the files no matter what they try, so they ought to just cut it out and accept that they're not in control. :P

Edited by FlyingHigh10000000

yeah you might not have a hosts file. If that case, just make a new file called "hosts" with the 3 lines above. When finished, goto that folder and make sure you didn't accidentally call your new file "hosts.txt" If you did, you need to rename the file and remove the ".txt"

noob here. i eventually found the hosts file, but when i added the lines of text, it didn't work. so is it just my placement? or is there something else i'm missing?

Here's something I just thought of, could it be that this change is in preparation for setting things up for Steam Workshop? To make sure that the files are set and 'clean' and such so there's a minimum of issues for when the Workshop is unveiled?

I know I'm grasping at straws, but I personally would hate for Fraxis to tell us "This new XCom will be as mod friendly as we can make" and then 'ban' mods almost entirely. I mean, Civilization V is as mod friendly as Civ IV, and uses the Steam Workshop.

Pirated copies don't work with the modpatcher. I'm assuming it's because there are critical differences in the .exe files. The question is does Dreadylein want to make the modpatcher compatible with pirated versions? I assume not. So all pirates, please stop asking for help, it's technically not possible to make mods work with your game versions. Thanks.

Unless, of course, Firaxis decides to clamp down on modding even harder... in which case our only option might be to use cracked exe files :(

But that is for the future to tell...