Warspace Extension Discussion

BlackAlpha

I'd rather have people PM me if they want to help out with that. I can then send them all the details on what exactly needs doing.

@everyone

HELP WANTED: The current Warspace version modifies the English text files, but not the other languages. I'd like to support other languages but I need help from other people to do that. If you got a non-English version and would like to help out with this, please PM me. Note that you need to have the non-pirated game, otherwise your text files will be different.

Edited by BlackAlpha

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this mod does work on versions other than English, you just don't get text changes. But these changes are pretty minor, nothing game-defining.

I'm not sure if BlackAlpha actually knows Italian. You can make a translation yourself, however. To see what's changed, post original int and Warspace int contents here:

http://www.diffnow.com/

Select "show only difference" in options. Look out for bright purple text.

Then open your ITA\Xcomgame.ita file (I think that's how it is called) and make appropriate changes yourself. I think, if you send it, he might put it up as an optional file.

Nice! many thanks FMod.. I'll try out later on

Edited by goemonchan

well I'll think about it :) an italian version of your mod would be nice

ooo yeah youse stoopid bugs, you tawkin to me? doo yoo know whoo i am? i will fawk yoo up das rioght

what?

well I'll think about it :) an italian version of your mod would be nice

ooo yeah youse stoopid bugs, you tawkin to me? doo yoo know whoo i am? i will fawk yoo up das rioght

what?

It's a joke. A stereotypical italian mobster accent you hear in American mafia movies.

LoL I didn't know! thanx for the explanation. I'll start to speak like that so

I'm new to modding XCOM and I wonder if anyone can clarify something - after modding the game with this mod, if I want to change the values of DefaultGameCore.ini do I do that in the external .ini or the internal data via Res Hacker? I don't know if this mod somehow made the .exe refer to an external file, or whether it did indeed modify the internal version.

No, the changes are still in the exe.

You can edit defaultgamecore.mod (rename it to txt to edit) in a text editor and run modpatcher.exe <file name>, it's probably easier than with reshacker.

Okay. Thanks for the information.

edit: and I just noticed that the OP lists the ways the files have been modded. Oops. Coulda sworn that wasn't there when I checked it a while back.

Anyway, I have just realised that (or I assume that) its the case that changes to the internal .ini still only affect starting soldiers. And since it's highly likely those guys will die off at some point anyway... yeah. I'm probably not dedicated enough to edit any upk files.

Specifically I still think that the accuracy/sight ranges for soldiers in the game seem crazy low - as in, the way that you get a 25% chance to hit an alien that is standing practically right in front of your guy. It feels so wrong. (even with Rook soldiers). Especially if you grew up playing the originals or you played (modded!) UFO:ET in the meantime.

The game either has you camp and hit overwatch every turn, praying the aliens will do something stupid, or attempt a stupid zergrush and pray they don't use overwatch themselves. Anything falling in the middle ground will get you killed. Well, you're pretty much getting dudes killed either way - and perhaps that has always been the case across all the games - but the difference is in XCOM you only have a small squad, so missions are a bust if you lose dudes too soon.

I dunno. I thought this mod might rebalance it so that you could play a more progressive tactical game but I can't even get past the first mission right now (playing quite 'safe' standard x-com tactics).

Edited by DrKramshaw

Okay. Thanks for the information.

edit: and I just noticed that the OP lists the ways the files have been modded. Oops. Coulda sworn that wasn't there when I checked it a while back.

Anyway, I have just realised that (or I assume that) its the case that changes to the internal .ini still only affect starting soldiers. And since it's highly likely those guys will die off at some point anyway... yeah. I'm probably not dedicated enough to edit any upk files.

Specifically I still think that the accuracy/sight ranges for soldiers in the game seem crazy low - as in, the way that you get a 25% chance to hit an alien that is standing practically right in front of your guy. It feels so wrong. (even with Rook soldiers). Especially if you grew up playing the originals or you played (modded!) UFO:ET in the meantime.

The game either has you camp and hit overwatch every turn, praying the aliens will do something stupid, or attempt a stupid zergrush and pray they don't use overwatch themselves. Anything falling in the middle ground will get you killed. Well, you're pretty much getting dudes killed either way - and perhaps that has always been the case across all the games - but the difference is in XCOM you only have a small squad, so missions are a bust if you lose dudes too soon.

I dunno. I thought this mod might rebalance it so that you could play a more progressive tactical game but I can't even get past the first mission right now (playing quite 'safe' standard x-com tactics).

Well, the Sectoids can be tricky because they get a defense bonus due to their small size. But the bonus isn't that large, the difference from vanilla isn't that large. The main thing that changes is that the Sectoids now won't hit you as quickly. So the advantage goes to the player.

If you have trouble in the first mission, then I suggest to try to change your playstyle. The first mission is very easy, after all.

I guess the main thing you are doing wrong is that you ignore the low percentage shots, and so you always wait until the enemy fires over and over again, and eventually hits you. There's quite a few different playstyles you can do to overcome this. One of them is the most straight forward: You don't need to be accurate, you just need to fire more bullets at them, then they can fire at you. ;)

And if you have difficulties with getting shot all the time, then stick to high cover, and use high cover exclusively until you figure out in which situations low cover is a good alternative.

EDIT: I forgot to give you the advice I give to everyone. Don't rush all the time. If you first go to the edge of the blue line, you can check out the area and then you may decide it's better to go back. It will safe your life countless of times!

Edited by BlackAlpha