Help! My shorts are too shiny!

cramlow

I have tried and tried and still cannot make a _n.dds file to go with these shorts I've created. I just want these to look like a normal matt clothes texture not glossy leather. If anyone can walk me through the settings in GIMP to save a proper non-wet texture I will wash your car for 5 years....or your RV....whichever. :)

The alpha layer on the normal map needs to be black or nearly black. The lighter it is, the shinier it is. At least that's how it worked for Oblivion. I don't see why it would be different for Skyrim. As for how to generate the normal map in Gimp, here's a tutorial. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Creation_in_The_GIMP

Does you mesh use a reflection mask (_m) and cubemap (_e)? If it does, they may be a part of your problem. As for the normal map, the alpha channel is a specular level map. This could also be your problem. In a specular map, white is shiniest and black is not shiny.

From what little I know about GIMP, I think I remember that editing the alpha channel of an image is not very intuitive. I think it involves copying a layer mask to the alpha channel. It would be helpful to seach google for "How to edit the alpha channel of an image in gimp".

Here's some tings bout editing the alpha channel of the image in GIMP:

LINK

LINK

Edited by ImsumDave

I very much appreciate the helpful replies.

Consider me extremely normal map challenged and treat me like an idiot because I've canvassed the Google on creating and saving the n.dds file, tried numerous suggestions and nothing has worked for me, as I have some setting or two off somewhere, and it could be the alpha channel, but I swear when I only selected it it was black a a pirates heart.

What I think I need is for some kind soul to walk me through, no, not every little detail, but the critical steps A to B on how to export properly to de-shine my shorts. I'm happy to even donate some PayPal to whomever will GIMP a N map brief tutorial for me. I think the links provided are not for skyrim specifically and there is some setting difference that matters that I can't figure out...

Edited by cramlow

I will look into it. I have GIMP installed, but I haven't used it much. I could make a step by step guide. Could you attach the texture to an email and send it to me at [email protected]? If it's too big compress it as a RAR or ZIP.

On it's way now Dave. :)

Edit: It should be in your in-box now. Let me know if you need anything else, and also your paypal account for your time. :)

Edited by cramlow

Ok, I have the texture. I'll get to typing and figuring this out. I've looked into the process a bit already and it seems a bit obtuse at first. I don't require any money, but my paypal is linked to my Skyrim Nexus account.

EDIT: An immediate issue I see is that the alpha is white in the texel areas (the portion of the image that will be used by the mesh) of the mesh. Also, it might be helpful to see the mesh as well.

Edited by ImsumDave

Ok, I have the texture. I'll get to typing and figuring this out. I've looked into the process a bit already and it seems a bit obtuse at first. I don't require any money, but my paypal is linked to my Skyrim Nexus account.

Awesome, I have tried to follow this, as well as other sites, with no change in the shine as I suspect something is missing: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/Quality_Normal_Maps

Your link to Paypal makes thanking you easy :)

Edited by cramlow

I will give you the link when I'm done, if you really want to give me money. I will give you fair warning that creating a normal map in this way may not give the best results. Normally, a normal map is rendered from a high poly model. Also, in some cases, bump detail can be added later by creating a normal map from an image and adding that detail to the main normal map. Can I get that mesh? I want to see the layout of the UV's and if it's using transparency on the tattered edges.