TESO

LordWushin

However its still an MMO, the whole "oh look I get to kill the same dragon 20 times" is a problem I am going to have and its a problem I have with every MMO.

Oh and the good old "Get me 20 feathers and I'll give you some gold" over and over and over again :P I just never saw the interest with these types of games. I also have a bad feeling that they are going to pull a Diablo III and get rid of stats.

Who knows, it might be good. I won't get it unless it's F2P though, I refuse to pay monthly to play a game.

which is why Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO out. it doesnt have the "collect 20 feathers and kill 5 boars" type quests AND it is F2P (after you buy the actual game ofc)

However its still an MMO, the whole "oh look I get to kill the same dragon 20 times" is a problem I am going to have and its a problem I have with every MMO.

Oh and the good old "Get me 20 feathers and I'll give you some gold" over and over and over again :P I just never saw the interest with these types of games. I also have a bad feeling that they are going to pull a Diablo III and get rid of stats.

Who knows, it might be good. I won't get it unless it's F2P though, I refuse to pay monthly to play a game.

which is why Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO out. it doesnt have the "collect 20 feathers and kill 5 boars" type quests AND it is F2P (after you buy the actual game ofc)

I wouldn't say that, plenty of the renowned hearts quests have collection and kill quests. Though I think the reason it's not as noticeable/annoying is because they're part of a multi-objective task, so there's more than one way to perform it, so you're not stuck doing a singular objective. And I believe THAT is what tends to set Guild Wars 2 apart from other mmo's.

I wouldn't say that, plenty of the renowned hearts quests have collection and kill quests. Though I think the reason it's not as noticeable/annoying is because they're part of a multi-objective task, so there's more than one way to perform it, so you're not stuck doing a singular objective. And I believe THAT is what tends to set Guild Wars 2 apart from other mmo's.

In my opinion, what is important about a quest system is not what those quests actually ask you to do, since you're going to be grinding dungeons, drops, or camping bosses no matter what just as a component of leveling, getting special drops, getting money, or crafting/spell components. A grind, no matter how hidden, still ends up being a grind. Even when you don't have quests where you have to kill x number of something, you still often find periods of time where you're just farming spawns in an area because you need something that only drops there. The reality is that this aspect of MMOs is ultimately crucial to how long a person generally plays that MMO since this is hours of the day being spent outside of events and other scripted situations so that the player doesn't get bored of those events and scripted situations. There are only so many times that you can go raiding against a boss before it becomes mostly boring and just another type of grind.

What is important actually is the variety of quests, and what gets accomplished from those quests. If all you're getting is experience and items, then that quest becomes just this thing you do for those items, and becomes little more than a time-sink. If you're presented with the exact same quests, or quests of the same format (new dungeon tier, go kill x things in that dungeon), then the quests become boring and are usually done only because you're going to be spending a few levels in that dungeon anyway and need the extra exp/money. The value of all this stuff becomes highly dependent on the actual leveling mechanics used by the game and the pace of leveling. If people level too quickly, then quests can be passed up or ignored if the reward isn't worthwhile, or story based ones can actually hinder player progress to where they are just doing the story to get it over with. If leveling is too slow, then it's a grindfest no matter what.

Then and Now! I truly believe they are trying to do their best to make Elder Scroll fans happy and MMO players happy. I have to agree with Vagrant0, I play MMOs mostly for the story, like LOTRO. Most quest they have on there is go kill this and that but do not have anything really substantial for the epic quest line. If my level is to low for the main quest, I will grind a dungeon or some random quests. If I remember TESO is using something similar to the LOTRO Riders of Rohan quest givers, by actually allowing you to kill an enemy and then give you the option about if you what to finish killing x amount of enemies. In my opinion I really liked this.

Yeah, so I've heard. I didn't like the first Guild Wars much though. Nice that they still went with F2P :)