Arrogance in Mod Descriptions?

phenderix

Not much of a modder.. But in all honesty, I do tend to avoid the mods which put "MY MOD IS AWESOME" or like Bben said about downloading it, and finding it not to fit in the game at all.

When a mod speaks for itself - It usually gets HEAVILY endorsed, with an enormous amount of Traffic.

On a personal level; I would choose to say what the mod actually is. Rather than tell them how awesome it is.

- Adds a new set of armour

- New, epic quest. (you can be creative with this; a backstory) much like the Gates to Aesgaard for Oblivion.

- New Mount; Tiger or Steed. Flame Atronach? if you fancy that.

I would have to concur with the others; I generally look for what a mod does in the description. If I end up seeing hype/sales only, and need to scroll to see what the mod actually offers, there's a chance I may just leave the page. To varying degree, I'm sure all modders would like people to use/enjoy their mods, so I fully understand mod promotion. But in terms of whether the mod is the "best", etc., I generally prefer to leave that to each individual user to decide based on their own playstyles, mod desires, etc., as to do otherwise I "could" come across as presumptuous.

So, did you tone it down? Cause I just took a look at your mod pages, and other than the very large fonts you use (better than tiny font, though!) I don't see anything that screams arrogance. I am not much into the magic thing, but if I were, I would be able to tell pretty quickly what your mods do and decide if they were for me. I didn't notice anything that was making claims that about other mods down, or whatever...

I just toned down the PUMS page like one minute ago.

I think it is probably for the best if I start writing more from a descriptive point of view. (Instead of one that attempts to sell)

It might well give a positive effect on your aim for downloads. People love it when we get straight to the point. Good luck with your mods, keep them coming.

Although I wouldn't say ignore criticism, don't take the haters to heart. Some people love to complain, rise above them matey. Some modders have left because of criticism, if you can use that criticism to improve your work then you are indeed set on a good course for a good mod. Have fun!

:)

Edited by ProjectVRD

If by the end of the first paragraph if you haven't gotten into the features of the mod, regardless how good it seems, I usually just go on to the next mod. If your mod is that great, you shouldn't have to convince me to download it, or tell me why I shouldn't download another mod, or give a 3 paragraph rant on how people need to stop asking you questions (just talking from general experience, not really YOUR mods)

Also, if you over hype a mod, and it doesn't live up to the expectations, it's a great way to NOT get an endorsement for it. I usually endorse a mod when it's better then I think it will be. If you make it seem AMAZING and then it's just 'good', it can make an otherwise good mod kind of a let down. Over-selling is bad, but making sure people realize how cool your mod is is very important. Learn how to convince people your mod is awesome, without 'selling' it to them. Nobody likes a salesmen, but everybody loves a good modder!

all i can say is do what you like. i usually don't even read the hype, well when there is hype. i usually just pick out the bits about the mod itself, ignore the fancy words that don't really tell me anything, and then hit the buglist & screenies.

and phenderix don't worry, i actually happen to be a fan of your mods, and i'm fairly picky. so the mod hard-sells itself.

There's nothing wrong in the hard sell technique, but you have to keep it balanced between just 'how good the mod is' and a 'slight exaggeration'. Presentation is important, but as many have said, they want to know what the mod does as soon as they click on the mod description page. I personally created a logo which encapsulates my mod, so people could immediately see what it does, followed by a hard hitting factual list of features. Since the release of the mod, there have been hundreds of screenshots submitted by users which reflect the logo of the mod.

So marketing a mod is a skill in it's own right, and a skill which is well worth putting some time into.