Extracting and importing paints & parts from the Power Armor of FallOut 76 in FallOut 4

nemesis6661

Hi,

I successfully extracted the meshes, the materials and the textures from FallOut 76, and I'm trying to import them inside FallOut 4.

I created the material file (ma_PA_X01_xxx), the constructible object (co_xxxx), and the paint (PA_X01_material_xxxx), linked everything together.

I noticed that the BGSM files (opened with the "Material Editor") was differents, so I tried a lot of things : using the file without any change, converting it, using a base FallOut 4 file and putting the new datas inside, etc...
I also tried to put something in the "Environment" case...

But, nothing worked, the paints are still not available...

All I see is that I have more paint from 76 and nothing to put inside "Smooth Spec" (no xxx_s.dds file if you prefer).
But I dont think it's the issue, even when I put a random paint inside, nothing more appear.

Any one have an issue ? I think it's just a basic issue of "how to create a paint", but, well... I dont know, sooo...

Fallout 76 uses a more advanced output and different BGSM, as you noticed. It also has different kind of DDS (Something higher than Fallout 4's).

If you want, you can ask around Gaming Underground Network, they're good at imports.

It's not allowed here though.

Edited by RowanSkie

there's a discussion about what tools will and won't work with the different dds files here. https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8018718-help-with-dds-files/

But that's as far as we can go. Porting assets from one of their games to another of their games is prohibited by Bethesda, and therefore a big no-no here on the nexus as well.

We can only advise you for personal use.

I'm stuck at a point, I need a tool to convert BC7 to DXT5 inside the DDS.

But I continued to make some experiments for fun : I took the original textures/meshes and materials BSA files and put them inside the FO4 directory.

And... I see something ! I dont see the textures I'm looking for, but I see something.
So, this mean something goes wrong : If I extract the datas and I put them inside the Data directory, nothing happens, but if I take the original BSA file, something appear...

Where is the foq ?

I'm stuck at a point, I need a tool to convert BC7 to DXT5 inside the DDS.

But I continued to make some experiments for fun : I took the original textures/meshes and materials BSA files and put them inside the FO4 directory.

And... I see something ! I dont see the textures I'm looking for, but I see something.

So, this mean something goes wrong : If I extract the datas and I put them inside the Data directory, nothing happens, but if I take the original BSA file, something appear...

Where is the foq ?

Okay, here's the thing.

Do you have the BGSM/materials for the files? The textures and meshes too? The BSA file has all of them which is why it works.

Ok Do NOT take this as written in stone. I'm VERY MUCH guessing about this

Ok, you said that you dropped them into your data file. Did you archive them up into a new bsa?

If they're what are called "loose files" (Not in a bsa), did you bundle them all up into a seperate folder, and then drop that folder into your Textures Folder, and are sure, like..... triple check.... that your mod's file/folder structure is correct? Seriously.... like, triple check.

If you did just drop them into your data folder, I'm pretty sure that won't work. [Edit] Actually, I'm about 85% sure it won't work like that. I know for a fact that it doesn't work with sound replacer mods. [/Edit] Or at least, I've never seen a mod with texture files that installs like that. Every single one I've seen has a subdirectory in the Textures folder. Now, when I say triple check, I mean, to make sure that your mod points to the bsa file in the fallout4/Data folder or the Fallout4/Data/Textures/"YourModNameHere"

Again, I don't have any working knowledge of this. I'm just guessing from how I've seen other mods that I've installed. Some of these might have to go in the "Materials" folder, but I dunno.

I've also never cracked open a bsa file yet either, so I'm not sure what the inner structure of those are like.

Edit 2 - You've got your .ini files set up for invalidating old archives, and resource data directories?

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
Edited by StormWolf01