Multiple mod install, mod rules, conflict detection, and some wonkiness

acidzebra

I'm on Vortex 1.0.5 but I've noticed the same in earlier builds. This pertains to Bethesda games since that is what I mainly play and have the most Vortex experience with.

When dropping in a couple of mods (some texture mods with loose files for example) and deploying, Vortex will not always detect all the conflicts the first time around. Sometimes a restart of the program and another deploy action is needed before it will detect the remaining conflicts.

You could argue that I shouldn't be dropping in several mods at once but (a) I've been modding a long time and on a new PC or fresh build I know roughly what base texture mods I want and in what order they should be applied and (b) the software allows for it.

You can replicate this behavior by dropping in a couple of large loose-file texture packs and deploying. It will detect some conflicts. Restart the software and deploy again. It usually detects some more conflicts now. If nothing is detected, go into mod rules and several mods now have the ??? marker in the dropdown.

This might be a niche use case, I don't know. I've noticed it happening several times now. It's easy to work around; just restart and deploy again until you're sure everything is sorted out, but it's still not intended behavior I think.

I'm not sure why this happens - Vortex is VERY good at detecting any external alterations (such as cleaning/editing plugins) and will pick up on those immediately and consistently (in my experience). But file conflict detection seems a bit flakier.

While it's not instantaneous, it should detect conflicts after a few seconds i.e. no restart should be required. Could you give me a list of mods that you were using (or just some examples) so I can try and reproduce it?

I'm in the middle of a playthrough and I might have been impatient with the Vortex restart, not sure. But (might be placebo) it seemed to jar Vortex into recognising there were additional conflicts beyond what it had marked earlier.

My usual install cycle for Skyrim SE (actually VR now but for texture purposes no difference except I stick to 2k), ordered by install order first to last:

- Noble Skyrim

- Osmodius texture pack

- ALL the gamwich rustic texture mods

- SMIM

- all the door replacers by hype1 (major holds etc)

- jonnywang13's Cathedral mods series

I realize this is a fuzzy list and will do some more comprehensive tests when I can, and also report through Vortex as rmm200 suggests.

I'm on Vortex 1.0.5 but I've noticed the same in earlier builds. This pertains to Bethesda games since that is what I mainly play and have the most Vortex experience with.

When dropping in a couple of mods (some texture mods with loose files for example) and deploying, Vortex will not always detect all the conflicts the first time around. Sometimes a restart of the program and another deploy action is needed before it will detect the remaining conflicts.

You could argue that I shouldn't be dropping in several mods at once but (a) I've been modding a long time and on a new PC or fresh build I know roughly what base texture mods I want and in what order they should be applied and (b) the software allows for it.

You can replicate this behavior by dropping in a couple of large loose-file texture packs and deploying. It will detect some conflicts. Restart the software and deploy again. It usually detects some more conflicts now. If nothing is detected, go into mod rules and several mods now have the ??? marker in the dropdown.

This might be a niche use case, I don't know. I've noticed it happening several times now. It's easy to work around; just restart and deploy again until you're sure everything is sorted out, but it's still not intended behavior I think.

I'm not sure why this happens - Vortex is VERY good at detecting any external alterations (such as cleaning/editing plugins) and will pick up on those immediately and consistently (in my experience). But file conflict detection seems a bit flakier.

I would say that's probably the problem, because I just uninstalled, and updated Sand of Time, (Loose File version), that has about 5,000+ (about 1.6 gigs worth) of loose files in it

However, it's the only mod I installed, I didn't install a bunch of others at the same time.

When it was done, it found all of the same conflicts it had originally found when I last updated it (I made a screenshot of the LOAD BEFORE and LOAD AFTER page so I could use it as a guide)